Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iCal Questions and Disappointments

iCal Questions and Disappointments
surferboy
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2007, 10:12 AM

One of the most exciting new features in my opinion was the announced ability to delegate someone else to manage your calendar. So far, I see no documentation or functionality in regards to this. Disappointing. Is this only a Leopard server feature? If so, it needs to be taken out of the Leopard client feature list.

Also, I simply cannot wrap my arms around the CalDAV concept. All the googled resources are quite complex. Has anyone used iCal with a CalDAV server? My office has Lotus Notes on a Domino Server. Does anyone know if this has built in CalDAV functionality?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2007, 12:14 PM

Yes, it requires a calendar shared on a server. How would delegation be done without a server? I can't even wrap my head around that.

Domino does not appear on the CalDAV list of compatible software. Looks like mostly open source projects with little to no mainstream support.

surferboy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2007, 12:28 PM

Here's how I thought delegation would work: you assign a username and a password to a delegated person on your .mac account. That person then has read/write permissions for your iCal only- nothing else. That person logs in on their mac and can control your calendar.

That's kind of how I thought it would work.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2007, 02:34 PM

Is there any other feature of .Mac that works like that?

I really can't see how you got from the blurb on the 300 features list and the way .Mac works to the system you've proposed.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 28, 2007, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by surferboy View Post
One of the most exciting new features in my opinion was the announced ability to delegate someone else to manage your calendar. So far, I see no documentation or functionality in regards to this. Disappointing. Is this only a Leopard server feature? If so, it needs to be taken out of the Leopard client feature list.

Also, I simply cannot wrap my arms around the CalDAV concept. All the googled resources are quite complex. Has anyone used iCal with a CalDAV server? My office has Lotus Notes on a Domino Server. Does anyone know if this has built in CalDAV functionality?
I've been using the Apple Calendar Server for several months now, what do you want to know about it? It does not require Leopard Server to run, and delegates does require a CalDAV server.

Doubt that Lotus supports CalDAV.

surferboy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2007, 03:31 PM

Besson, thanks. My only complaint is that the delegate feature is unclear on the "300 new features" page. Most of the CalDAV related features mention that you need CalDAV server. But, delegation does not state this.

I only brought up .mac because I was proposing a possible way this could have worked. I am not a software engineer, but it seems that appointing someone read/write access for a calendar would be a smart way to make this kind of thing work. Google calendars allow you to do this.

Besson, here's my goal: to merge my office and mac lives, with the ability to use iCal for events placed on my Lotus Notes calendar.

I used to have a Treo before an iPhone. Sprint offered a service called bizconnect- which was a two way over-the-air sync between my lotus calendar and my Treo. I know OTA sync is a whole new can of worms, and is not what I am asking about. I am just wondering what kind of hardware, software and brains it would take for someone in my office to set up a way to have my office calendar sync to iCal.

Maybe a bridge between Lotus and a CalDAV server? I don't understand this stuff well, which is why I'm asking here.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 28, 2007, 03:44 PM

Besson, thanks. My only complaint is that the delegate feature is unclear on the "300 new features" page. Most of the CalDAV related features mention that you need CalDAV server. But, delegation does not state this.

I only brought up .mac because I was proposing a possible way this could have worked. I am not a software engineer, but it seems that appointing someone read/write access for a calendar would be a smart way to make this kind of thing work. Google calendars allow you to do this.
But Google calendars are web-based, meaning that people access a single client to edit calendars to a single data store. There are more challenges needing attention using a desktop client such as iCal.

Besson, here's my goal: to merge my office and mac lives, with the ability to use iCal for events placed on my Lotus Notes calendar.

I used to have a Treo before an iPhone. Sprint offered a service called bizconnect- which was a two way over-the-air sync between my lotus calendar and my Treo. I know OTA sync is a whole new can of worms, and is not what I am asking about. I am just wondering what kind of hardware, software and brains it would take for someone in my office to set up a way to have my office calendar sync to iCal.

Maybe a bridge between Lotus and a CalDAV server? I don't understand this stuff well, which is why I'm asking here.
I don't know a single thing about Lotus. Can you subscribe to your calendars from Lotus using WebDAV? If not, I would imagine Lotus uses some sort of proprietary network protocol?

If you can subscribe to your Lotus calendar in iCal, would your goals be fulfilled?

surferboy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2007, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
If you can subscribe to your Lotus calendar in iCal, would your goals be fulfilled?
Yes. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to chat with the IT guy. Thanks for the input.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 28, 2007, 03:53 PM

Yes. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to chat with the IT guy. Thanks for the input.
Well, if you can it would be over WebDAV, which would mean you could also use the iCal client in Tiger to do this.

Forum Links
Forum Rules