Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Food Spoilage Questions Thread

Food Spoilage Questions Thread
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2008, 05:40 PM

I accidentally left an open, previously refrigerated mayonnaise jar out for about two and a half hours. The jar was closed and near room temperature when I found it. It smells fine and I don't want to waste 2/3rds by throwing it out. Could it have spoiled within that amount of time?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

LegendaryPinkOx
Senior User
Nov 9, 2008, 05:48 PM

I can give you the typical college student answer: keep it, and remember to check on it before using it again. If it smells/looks bad before the next use, then toss it. If not, well, knock yourself out.
are you lightfooted?

climber
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2008, 05:51 PM

ever hear of Google? The very best answer I found in a two minute search was "If it makes you violently ill or sick than it is bad"

The other interesting answer is that Mayo is acidic enough that it is harder to spoil than most foods. Personally I think once you get sick on food a couple of times you realize the price is to high to gamble.
climber

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2008, 05:52 PM

I looked on Google but didn't turn up much. Thank you for the opinions!

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2008, 06:28 PM

it's fine. eat away.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2008, 06:43 PM

I employ the smell test for mayo. Just smell before use and you should be able to tell if it is ok to eat.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2008, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Could it have spoiled within that amount of time?
No, not a chance.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Cold Warrior
Nov 9, 2008, 07:35 PM

I didn't bother to smell some milk the other day. I took a big swing and then discovered it was bad via taste.

Definitely the smell test first!

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2008, 07:57 PM

Sub-question (Jack Black High Fidelity hand-motion):

Label dates on foods such as milk, cheese, bacon, etc.: are they "good until" dates (i.e. food is good until that date, no matter when you open it), or are they "shelf life" dates (i.e. unopened food should be consumed before that date, but makes no ruling on final spoilage date).

For example, it's relatively common to find milk dated maybe 2 weeks ahead in my experience. I simply can't believe that milk will stay fresh for two weeks after opened though.

It's a running battle with my roommate.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2008, 10:08 PM

It's fine, enjoy.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2008, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Sub-question (Jack Black High Fidelity hand-motion):

Label dates on foods such as milk, cheese, bacon, etc.: are they "good until" dates (i.e. food is good until that date, no matter when you open it), or are they "shelf life" dates (i.e. unopened food should be consumed before that date, but makes no ruling on final spoilage date).

For example, it's relatively common to find milk dated maybe 2 weeks ahead in my experience. I simply can't believe that milk will stay fresh for two weeks after opened though.

It's a running battle with my roommate.

greg

I've always found things to be relatively good until the date on the label. Especially if they need to be refrigerated the whole time. So, I vote with the roomie WRT milk.

The only time I've found exceptions to this are products that have really long shelf lives, but need to be refrigerated once opened. Say, salad dressing.
( Last edited by subego; Nov 10, 2008 at 04:25 AM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2008, 04:23 AM

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2008, 04:29 PM

Yellow mustard can go bad? I call shenanigans.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2008, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I've always found things to be relatively good until the date on the label. Especially if they need to be refrigerated the whole time. So, I vote with the roomie WRT milk.

The only time I've found exceptions to this are products that have really long shelf lives, but need to be refrigerated once opened. Say, salad dressing.
Really? You'd leave opened milk in the fridge for two weeks?!

I can taste the difference in milk after it's been opened for a couple days.

greg

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2008, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
I can taste the difference in milk after it's been opened for a couple days.

I've found dousing the milk in Crunch Berries helps.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2008, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post

I agree. They put Honey (H) at only 8 months too. Both of them should be X I feel, like Maraschino or Aspartame.

They also place Tabasco (Ta) at 2-5 years. Maybe it tastes fine, but after a year or so, it turns a dull color. I've never risked it.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 11, 2008, 12:49 AM

I had some dull looking tabasco and cholula sauce recently, definitely weren't the right colors any more, I threw them out. This happened after an extended period(a year?) at room temp. I've always refrigerated ketchup once it was opened, but I know some restaurants keep the glass ketchup bottles at room temp, open or not.

Milk I generally find is good until the date on it. To avoid problems, shelve it near the back of the fridge, not on the door. When it's nearing the date on the label I'll give it a connoisseur's swirl, smell, and check for a ring at the "milk line". The ring is really the tell-tale sign that it's beyond saving with even the world's best cereals.
ice

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 11, 2008, 01:37 AM

I remember back in 2000 I ate a can of peaches. Afterwards, I looked at the bottom and saw that they expired in December 1996. I'm pretty sure I was fine.

The next few months were kind of a blur though...

Railroader
Banned
Nov 11, 2008, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post

Railroader
Banned
Nov 11, 2008, 12:54 PM

Our annual food drive always brings some interresting donations into the pantry. Sometimes when we unload the trucks, a can of expired food will slip by and make it into the pantry. Last year, I found a can of peas from 1989. We also got a bunch of cans with no labels. And also a can labeled "beef chunks".

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2008, 01:26 PM

Hahaha, that's awesome!

I'm just paranoid about things like this, and I have absolutely zero desire to taste something that might be anything other than absolutely deliciously fresh. Stirring my milk to make sure it's good?! That gives me the creeps; I just drink it before there's any possibility that it's within a week of the label date.

I've also heard someone say that those dates are "shelf dates," not "best before" dates. So that would mean that the food, sitting unopened, should be good before those dates. That would imply that if the package is opened well before that date, the food is no longer sealed, and there's no reason to assume that it would still be "good" before that date.

So I dunno.

greg

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2008, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
When it's nearing the date on the label I'll give it a connoisseur's swirl, smell, and check for a ring at the "milk line". The ring is really the tell-tale sign that it's beyond saving with even the world's best cereals.

My rule of thumb after the smell test:

If there's a question in your head whether the milk is good, then it's good.

When it's actually bad, you know.

Never failed me yet.

Forum Links
Forum Rules