Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Will installing lepord cause me to loose my apps?

Will installing lepord cause me to loose my apps?
neverskatewsandles
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2007, 05:51 PM

Just wondering since i've never done it before does intalling a new OS cause u to loose all the apps and etc on your hard drive or does it just replace the current os? Just wondering if i will need to back EVERYTHING up.
2ghz macbook /120gb hd ,1gb ram, superdrive/iwork

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2007, 06:01 PM

Backups are always a good idea, but don't worry--your apps won't come loose.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2007, 06:14 PM

You should back up, but the install will preserve your apps.

neverskatewsandles  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2007, 10:14 PM

Ok thank you very much this came across to me the other day It would be a pain to have to reinstall all of those apps again.

posthumanus
Senior User
Oct 27, 2007, 06:32 AM

if you're doing a clean install, then the basic OSX suite of .apps will return.

but 3rd party .apps will vanish, unless you've saved their installer.dmg/packages on ext.HD for re-installation.

posthumanus

neverskatewsandles  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2007, 08:14 AM

Well I just want to upgrade to leopard from tiger does this mean I will loose everything? Like will I have to put all my music etc back on?

Krusty
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2007, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by neverskatewsandles View Post
Well I just want to upgrade to leopard from tiger does this mean I will loose everything? Like will I have to put all my music etc back on?
Not only will you not have to put all your music back on, it will never be removed in the first place. Leopard will update specific applications and system files ... all of your documents and 3rd party applications should be left alone, right where you have them now. The main thing you'd have to worry about is any 3rd party applications that may have incompatibilities or issues with the updates to the system software.

.... or if you are like me, the main thing I have to worry about is a fully supported iBook with only a 40gb hard drive. Even after clearing non-essential software, it look like I will barely have enough room to install the upgrade .... it requires 6gb more space than Tiger according to Apple and I have cleared my drive to the point of having about 8.5 gb available. So that will leave me with a whopping 2.5gb of space if I wanna run leopard on this thing. :-(

Forum Links
Forum Rules