Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Macbook rejecting Leopard Install disk

Macbook rejecting Leopard Install disk
neverskatewsandles
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 23, 2007, 12:52 AM

I just tried to install leopard on my macbook and it keeps rejecting the disk. It wont boot when i hold down the option key and D and it just keeps spitting it out. WHAT DO I DO!! I need help please!!
2ghz macbook /120gb hd ,1gb ram, superdrive/iwork

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2007, 12:55 AM

Does it read it when you're in the Finder?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

neverskatewsandles  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 23, 2007, 12:59 AM

No It just spits it out after a miniute or two. It acts like its not even there then it just spits the disk out.

neverskatewsandles  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 23, 2007, 01:17 AM

Ok so I tryed it in target disk mode and it spit out the disk again and it gives me this picture of a firewire symbol and a little flashing green battery. wtf

Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2007, 01:34 AM

The firewire symbol and green battery means you are in target disk mode. How you got there, I don't know. You would have had to start up while holding "T"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2007, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by neverskatewsandles View Post
I just tried to install leopard on my macbook and it keeps rejecting the disk. It wont boot when i hold down the option key and D and it just keeps spitting it out. WHAT DO I DO!! I need help please!!
Try holding down just the C key instead.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2007, 03:57 AM

Sounds to me like the dvd is either scratched in such a way that the drive can't read it or your dvd drive is broken.

Do other dvds/cds work in your computer? Does that install disc mount on other computers?

ImpulseResponse

himself
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2007, 04:28 AM

It won't work if you're holding down option+D. You just need to hold down the C key.

But you really don't need to do that. Just boot your Mac as normal, and insert the disk. When the disk mounts, a window should open with an "Install OS X" icon (or something similar) in it. Click on the icon in the window to install. That's it.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

hempcamp
Forum Regular
Dec 23, 2007, 05:02 AM

I'm guessing based on the content of your other thread that you are trying to install Leopard from a system-specific restoration DVD (the one that came with your friend's MacBook).

This is a no-no. Go buy a legit retail copy of Leopard and you should have no problems.

--Chris
Current: iMac 20" 2.4/4/320 / iMac G4 800
Portable: iPhone 3G White/16 / 12" PowerBook 1.5/1.25/80
Former: PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8 / iBook G3 700 / PM 7500, 3G iPod 10GB, 5.5G iPod 30GB

OreoCookie
Dec 23, 2007, 05:52 AM

Putting it into context with your other thread, it seems you are trying to install OS X onto another machine illegally. OS X install disks are usually machine-specific. Closing … 
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules