Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Itunes incorectly syncing ipod

Itunes incorectly syncing ipod
neverskatewsandles
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 23, 2007, 10:43 PM

Im trying to sync my ipod touch with itunes which I have exactly 13.53 gb of music in my library and i have a 16gb ipod. When I try to sync it says there is 14. something gigs of music and it wont fit on my ipod which is 14.65 or something like that in actual space. So in other words it says there is not enough space on my ipod to hold all my music when i dont even have enough music to fill my entire ipod. Help?
2ghz macbook /120gb hd ,1gb ram, superdrive/iwork

analogika
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2007, 11:24 PM

16 GB is calculated as 1000*1000*1000 bytes by the drive manufacturers.

If you divide that sum by 1024 three times (since computers work in powers of two, not ten), you get an actual capacity of 14.9 GB.

250 MB of space lost to the iPod touch's operating system and assorted databases, etc, sounds about right to me.

I'm not sure about the 13.5 GB turning into 14 when you try to sync it, but I suspect it may either have to do with block sizes or the cover image database.

neverskatewsandles  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 23, 2007, 11:43 PM

This has never happened before I just got some music from a teachers computer put it onto mine got it back onto my mac and tried to erase and put all my songs back onto my ipod and its throwing this at me. Now if I put it into manual manage mode all my music goes onto it. But for some reason it wont auto sync. wtf
2ghz macbook /120gb hd ,1gb ram, superdrive/iwork

Forum Links
Forum Rules