Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook2, OSX and sleep

iBook2, OSX and sleep
dbergstrom
Dedicated MacNNer
May 27, 2001, 03:20 AM

I'm running OS X 10.0.3 on an iBook2 (256 MB RAM), and have a big problem with sleep. Whether I choose sleep from the Apple menu or close the lid, the computer frequently fails to fall asleep. The screen goes blank, but the pulsing sleep light fails to come on and keyboard does not respond to any key strokes. The only way to fix this is a forced restart.

Anyone with this problem?
Don

Rev2Liv
Mac Enthusiast
May 27, 2001, 03:32 AM

Yes, i've had this issue, but only if i'm running OSX in tandem with Classic compatibility mode.

I've tried running with extensions off and other such measures, but to no avail. Clearly there is an issue with running OSX & Classic compatibility.

-ben
2011 27" iMac: Core i7 3.4ghz, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD/1TB HD,

melman101
Dedicated MacNNer
May 27, 2001, 12:03 PM

I also have the same problem, but its only when the classic environment is loaded up. I do not know what to do, I am sort of frozen in OS9.1, till they fix that, cause sleep mode is very important to me.

Gametes
Mac Elite
May 27, 2001, 12:49 PM

Also, do you have any USB devices attached?
you are not your signature

RodriCO2000
Dedicated MacNNer
May 27, 2001, 05:30 PM

I have OS X 10.0.3 and it sleeps beautifully... but what I usually do is quit all apps and log out, I have found out this is the best way to set it to sleep..... Classic will not allow OS X to go to sleep since its an active process... put Classic to sleep first and then put OS X to sleep maybe this will help, or just quit Classic before putting the iBook2 to sleep.......

------------------
Be happy Be Cool Be Different, but be yourself...
Its not the fact that life is fact, but that life itself is a fact of the unknown....

apple scruffs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 27, 2001, 06:17 PM

I also have the exact same problem. My iBook will not sleep if Classic is running in OS X. Just wanted to add my voice here too.
Hope Apple will address this issue.

spicyjeff
Grizzled Veteran
May 27, 2001, 06:23 PM

I have not had that problem. But why do you choose sleep from the menu then close the lid? Its a bit redundant. You do know you can just close the lid and it will go to sleep...

JonoG4
Senior User
May 27, 2001, 06:40 PM

Originally posted by spicyjeff:
I have not had that problem. But why do you choose sleep from the menu then close the lid? Its a bit redundant. You do know you can just close the lid and it will go to sleep...
Nowhere in this thread does anyone mention choosing sleep and then closing the lid. Don't go looking for ways to be a smart ass.
Mac mini 1.25/512/40
iBook 600/384/20/
iMac 233/288/4/

tie
Professional Poster
May 27, 2001, 06:48 PM

Has anyone reliably had the iBook go to sleep in OS X with Classic running? Can't live without sleep.
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

gammaboy
May 27, 2001, 07:05 PM

Same here. I put my iBook to sleep while running classic and no engagement of sleep mode. It will not wake either. I have to force a reboot to get things working again.

Professor X
Forum Regular
May 27, 2001, 10:43 PM

I also experienced the same problem yesterday. But it only occurs when I have classic running... which is next to never. other than photoshop, flash, and the online bible I never really need classic(my music apps all require me to reboot). I'm hoping that apple will fix this soon, like they did with the audio problem. In the mean time Quitting classic before sleeping is the best work around. anyone know if Apple is aware of this problem?
-Prof X

------------------
ibook 500/DVD
9500 200
icebook 500/DVD 9500 200

www.macanonymous.com

chump
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2001, 01:50 PM

This sleep/coma thing with Mac OSX/Classic is a potential hazard...

I finally decided to start using the Classic environment (for Outlook Express) yesterday; Even with 70000+ emails in Express, it was working perceptible as fast as in Mac OS 9.1...

I left my iBook running and came back. I first assumed it was sleeping, so I pressed the touchpad button(nothing happens) then the keyboard(nothing). I then mistakenly assumed that I HAD shutdown my iBook(it WAS the end of the day...), and I then put my I book in my padded sleeve and stuck it in my bag...OOOPS.

Four hours later at home I discovered that it had still been running. The CPU area was hot, and the iBook was unresponsive. I assumed that I may have fried the CPU!

I let it cool down, but the Start Button would still not work. I finally removed the battery(which, in hindsight - may have finally shutdown the book from its comatose state) and the Start button finally worked after several more presses.

After researching this coma topic at Apple Discussions, I realize that my iBook may have still been in this coma all along - but the temperature of the running iBook in its padded sleeve in my bag could have caused damage. Now I will not be so unsuspecting.

BTW: The Apple Discussion threads on this topic include a Terminal work-around for this problem. Its a bit klunky - since it involves using the kill command each time you fire up classic...but it supposedly works. Also, AppleCare has told another user(after restarting his machine with only Apple "ALL" extensions AND zapping his PRAM) that the problem is most likely with third party extensions.

Check it out.

amrosario
Jun 6, 2001, 12:54 AM

I had a similar problem happenthe other day. I was in a coffee shop using OSX and doing some writing in the text editi program. I was using Word 2001 as a spell checker, so I guess the Classic was running. I went to leave and I closed the iBook thinking it was going to sleep. Later in the night I went to use the iBook. When I removed it from its new sleeve, it was really hot, as if it had been on. Apparently it had not gone to sleep and had stayed on while it was tucked away in the sleeve. The sleeve did a good job of keeping the heat in. Of course, the machine was no longer sleeping but had shot down. Luckily it started up again with no problem, but it was a scary few minutes.
"Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat."

<Forbodium>
Jun 6, 2001, 04:50 AM

I appologize for writing this off-topic reply.

Can someone tell me if the system on the OS X cd that comes with the iBook2 will install and work properly on a G4 desktop mac?

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2001, 07:13 AM

Have you guys set the Classic preferences to sleep after X minutes, and does this solve the problem ?

Aside from the Classic issue, does the iBook sleep properly with OS X ? I mean, does it seem to loose charge, or is it sleeping properly ? How quickly does it wake ?

Ryu
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 6, 2001, 07:49 AM

Originally posted by &lt;Forbodium&gt;:
<STRONG>I appologize for writing this off-topic reply.

Can someone tell me if the system on the OS X cd that comes with the iBook2 will install and work properly on a G4 desktop mac?

Yes

Forum Links
Forum Rules