Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Unexpected sleep freeze in 10.2.8

Unexpected sleep freeze in 10.2.8
jledwards2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2004, 11:23 PM

I have done numerous searches and browsed countless threads finding a few references to my dilemma but no solutions. I have a beige G3/333 minitower (antique now) that I love. Recently, I upgraded to OS 10.2.8 and began having problems. I have isolated the issue to the 10.2.8 update as it does not occur in 10.2 and seems to be independent of any applications installed (approximately 15 clean system installs for diagnosis.) Any time I am running a disk utility such as first aid, disk copy, etc. where the disk is being accessed over an extended period of time the monitor will go black and the system will not respond. I have to turn off power at the tower and restart from the keyboard. For example running disk utility to repair permissions in 10.2.8 I get about 20% progress and it dies, at the same point every time. In 10.2 I can run the same utility on several volumes without an issue.

I have tried all the mentioned fixes including ram removal, pci removal, etc. Re-partitioned, wiped clean, verified at each point of install, repaired permissions at each step, but nothing seems to work.

Maybe someone out there has experienced the same thing and found a fix, I hope so.

Thank you for any input, Jim

Forum Links
Forum Rules