Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Website displaying differently

Website displaying differently
macforray
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2006, 01:05 AM

I hope I am in the correct forum. Here is the issue. I belong to a small organization and we have a website that a friend has developed and maintained. He wrote it on a PC with Microsoft Front Page and it is being hosted by GoDaddy. The problem is that it only renders correctly when viewed on a PC with IE. On a PC viewed with the latest version of Firefox, there are obvious, but small errors. On my Mac (Mini with 17" LCD at 1280 x 1024), and with any of the four browsers I have installed (Safari, Firefox, Camino and Shirra) it looks pretty bad. Features are not centered and there is some overlap of layers. Again, it looks pretty good on a PC with IE. I do not have IE for Mac to try.

So, is it the code and Front Page (which means I may be in the wrong forum and to the moderators, I am sorry), or is it my browsers, or something entirely different? My friend has written and maintains a number of sites, all written with Microsoft Front Page. They look ok on my Mac with my browsers.

The site is http://www.camdenbassmasters.com/index.htm

Thanks.
macforray

Thinine
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2006, 01:10 AM

Looks fine in ToT and 417.8 Safari, aside from a slight overlap in the middle bottom, the "Visit our Favorite Shoppes" text overlaps the other stuff down there.

In an unrelated note, your friend should stop using FrontPage, because that site belongs in 1997.

JKT
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2006, 09:26 AM

It will be FrontPage - it is notorious for producing really, really crummy code... and I'm with Thinine - that site will never look good in anything (Sorry, that's harsh, but it is true). You might want to look into using something like RapidWeaver (Mac only) or a PC equivalent for producing a more modern, nicer looking website that is easy to maintain yet is cheap software.

macforray  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2006, 04:44 PM

Thanks for the constructive criticism. I will try to "politely" pass this along. I suspected the problem to be more to do with Front Page than anything else. I am the rebel of our group as the only Mac owner. I am obviously in the minority.

I can live with little anoyances. I just want to isolate the root cause.

Thanks again.
macforray

Forum Links
Forum Rules