Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Is it right or wrong to kill another person?

View Poll Results: When would you kill?
Poll Options:
Never, killing is wrong without doubt. 10 votes (31.25%)
Only to protect my values and ideology (i.e the concept of freedom). 4 votes (12.50%)
If needed to protect my family and close friends (this also includes you). 14 votes (43.75%)
To expand my strength and prosperity, or that of my group/nation. 1 votes (3.13%)
It is never wrong to kill, no one calls the lion a murder when it devours the zebra, in fact he is known as the king of the animals. 3 votes (9.38%)
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll
Is it right or wrong to kill another person?
Mr. Bob
Forum Regular
May 13, 2004, 07:54 PM

Ever since our inception, man has killed. Although an action with permanent repercussions, whether it is moral or otherwise is debatable. Does every man have his limit? If so, what�s yours. When would it be acceptable to kill?

If you believe in more then one answer, please select the one that is the most important, and explain why. On the other hand, if your selection is not on the list, please post for all to see.

Vote above�

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
May 13, 2004, 08:11 PM

Kill for values and ideology? I'm very sad that there are already votes in that category. I guess some folks feel religious wars are actually justified.

Zimphire
Baninated
May 13, 2004, 08:13 PM

Too bad you can't vote for more than one.

fireside
Professional Poster
May 13, 2004, 08:26 PM

i believe that killing another person is wrong at all times. there is no justification in taking the life of another person.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
May 13, 2004, 08:31 PM

I second that.

I put my trust in God, when I leave this world and in this world.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Mitser
Forum Regular
May 13, 2004, 08:32 PM

In my opinion, I DO NOT think killing another human being is right. However, if someone attempts to hurt me or mine I will do everything in my power to stop him or her. Although, I would avoid killing at all cost. I would much rather say shoot a limb or inflict just enough damage to other to give me or my significant person out of harms way. I did vote for the one if someone is trying to harm me.

Matthew

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
May 13, 2004, 08:52 PM

Originally posted by AKcrab:
Kill for values and ideology? I'm very sad that there are already votes in that category. I guess some folks feel religious wars are actually justified.
Use your imagination a little more. If someone would've killed Hitler in the 20's, it would've been for the greater good. In that sense killing for values/ideologies is okay.

fireside
Professional Poster
May 13, 2004, 09:53 PM

Originally posted by Macfreak7:
Use your imagination a little more. If someone would've killed Hitler in the 20's, it would've been for the greater good. In that sense killing for values/ideologies is okay.
of course, hindsight is 20/20. no one really knew what Hitler was going to do in the 20s.

but killing someone for values/ideologies is a double-edged sword. Hitler killed the Jews in his own ideologies mind you.

but its not really like a double-edged sword, because when most people are killed through ideologies its from an evil purpose. the ratio of good to evil in this instance is rather low. but who are we to say whats good or evil? to Hitler (and the Klu Klux Klan, al-Queda, etc) they believe what they are/were doing was for the greater good.

but i bring up a better poll: if you could cure all cancer by killing one innocent person, would you?

i only would if the person who was going to be killed volunteered out of his/her own free will. and if no one volunteered, i'd sacrifice my own life to cure cancer.

Jaey
Mac Elite
May 13, 2004, 11:05 PM

Originally posted by Macfreak7:
But then we may not have developed nuclear weapons, and thus no nuclear power, thus no Chernobyl, no Three Mile Island, and...
I thought I had a point.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2004, 11:17 PM

Why don't you watch the beheading video and ask that question again, Brainiac?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Forum Links
Forum Rules