Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > What features do you want in Ical 2.0??

What features do you want in Ical 2.0??
Russian Mac fan
Dedicated MacNNer
May 14, 2003, 04:36 PM

I want to be able to (in order of importance)

1. Sync with Datebook 5 categories (premier Palm OS calendar/to do program)

2. Drag a ToDo into the Calendar view as with competing OS X programs Now Up-to-Date and Personal Organizer

3. Ability to choose to change each calendar/category's color

4. Be able to view ToDo specific to a certain Day/Week view

Those are the biggies for me. How about everyone else?
( Last edited by Russian Mac fan; May 14, 2003 at 04:44 PM. )

Russian Mac fan  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 14, 2003, 04:43 PM

forgot to add:

5. ability to zoom in/out

Sharky K.
Mac Elite
May 14, 2003, 04:45 PM

week numbers

rendezvous browsing/syncing

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2003, 04:46 PM

1. Ability to select dates with a date control like the rest of the civilized world instead of separate controls for day, month, and year.

2. Ability to drag an event to a new day in the calendar.

OAW

Russian Mac fan  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 14, 2003, 04:51 PM

"2. Ability to drag an event to a new day in the calendar."

You can do that in the current release

ctbritt
Forum Regular
May 14, 2003, 05:01 PM

Frickin' proxy support.
Christopher Allbritton
MacOS X 10.4.9, 2GB RAM, 15-in. 2.33 GHz MBP 2 CD
www.back-to-iraq.com

RevEvs
Mac Elite
May 14, 2003, 05:05 PM

easier way to edit items, dont like the info pane covering loads of the screen, could have the basic info bits as part of the main window maybe.

oh, and a bit of speed would be nice...

revs
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

Russian Mac fan  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 14, 2003, 05:08 PM

speed is def an issue

More Additions:

6. More colors available for calendars

7. Ability to view items in a list form

nickm
Mac Enthusiast
May 14, 2003, 05:22 PM

I'd like to be able to set a timezone for every item, and in particular specify date ranges where the default timezone should change.

I'd also like to be able to drag an item out of the calendar. When dragged to the desktop, it should create a iCal appointment file that I could attach to a mail. When dragged into a text field, it should create a text representation of the appointment (e.g. "Wednesday May 14th, My appointment text here").

TC
Senior User
May 14, 2003, 06:02 PM

Hierarchies for calendars and to do lists.
This would make it much easier to have lots of calendars and decide what is shown.

The current implementation of to do lists is pretty basic. There ar emany things they could do to improve them. As I already said hierarchies would be great and I remember somebody else asking for sequential elements in to do lists. What they wanted is that you could link items together in a to do list so you would only see later items appear when a required item was complete.

More options in contextual menus for items such as being able to choose the kind of reminder, whether it is an all day event or how often it should repeat.
( Last edited by TC; May 15, 2003 at 03:24 AM. )
Nothing to see, move along.

mrfoxxman
Forum Regular
May 14, 2003, 06:12 PM

I just want to be able to edit shared calendars...My wife and i share a "social" calendar

...WHY are they called shared if you cant modify them?

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
May 14, 2003, 06:12 PM

1. speed
2. more speed

-r.

xtal
Senior User
May 14, 2003, 06:17 PM

I would like 'all-day' events that are longer than the day width to wrap the line and make the 'all-day' section larger (in height).

The 'all-day' events I have now, like "Jennifer's Birthday", have only one line visible, and say "Jennifer's".

Am I making any sense?

To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.

ryarber
Dedicated MacNNer
May 15, 2003, 12:08 AM

I also want DateBk 5 support, but that is an iSync issue, not a iCal issue. Address book should also have categories and keywords because I don't want to sync all my numbers with my cell phone. Also, Keywords would be nice with the ability to print envelopes, etc. for things like christmas cards and mailing lists. iSync should also include support for Apple Mail.app. I know there are third party conduits (which I use) but I'd prefer an Apple solution.

A couple of other things that annoy me about iSync. One is that annoying box that shows up after a sync telling me that it couldn't sync my wifes palm, my ipod, etc. because they weren't connected. I'm not stupid, I know that it can't sync them if they're not connected. Also, the box that shows up telling me what the changes are to Address Book, iCal, etc. should have the option to "Don't Show Again."

I have two things I really want from the next version of iCal:

1) Ability to give someone else permission to edit a shared calendar with a password

2) Ability to option-drag an event to make a duplicate on another day.

Other things I'd like to see, but I'm not hurting for:

1) Better contextual menus. The contextual menus suck in this implementation

2) Speed

3) Double clicking an event should bring up the info pane for that event

4) Better contrast beteen the selected event and other events. I also find events difficult to read when they are shown in some colors. The contrast there just isn't good enough.

5) The little calendar on the left side that has the next 3 months or so should show dates in red that have holidays on them. Also, dates that have high priority to-do's or events that include the "block my time" should be noted on that calendar to show the importance of those dates. Those options should be customizable in the prefs pane or have the ability to turn them off if you don't want them.

6) An option to show a customized calendar (customized for size, position, transparency, color, show important dates as in #5 above, etc.) on the desktop over your desktop pic.
( Last edited by ryarber; May 15, 2003 at 12:20 AM. )

GlobalNomad
Senior User
May 15, 2003, 01:40 AM

To be able to put a note [or comment] with the todolist.

Brad Oliver
Aspyr Staff
May 15, 2003, 03:51 AM

Those are the biggies for me. How about everyone else? [/B]
Import birthdays from entries in Address Book.

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
May 15, 2003, 04:16 AM

I want iCal to manage my academic timetable. Currently, I'm using iCal to do it, and it sucks.
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

JKT
Professional Poster
May 15, 2003, 05:53 AM

Some things that haven't already been mentioned:

1) a Go To... <specific date> capability! Can't believe there isn't one there already, but...

2) the ability to create timed events that stretch over a period of days (currently not possible to e.g. enter a flight that starts at 9.00 pm one evening and ends at 9 am the next day without splitting it into two different entries or enter it as an all day event)

3) An index page equivalent to that available for HomePage sites for .Mac published webcals so that you can just tell someone go to e.g. ical.mac.com/JKT and choose calendar X... currently, it is too difficult to remember the names you gave all your published calendars and their addresses when you want to view them on a different computer (also include password protection and the ability to edit at any location as mentioned by someone else above). In fact, your published iCals ought to appear in the HomePage list of sites so that you can personalise them (by e.g. adding images/backgrounds etc).

4) The ability to download subscription calendars and then unsubscribe from them so that they can be edited (e.g. so that they can be used as Templates). Obviously, this precludes any capability to resubmit them unless the original author allows it.

The birthdays from Address Book is also a must.

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
May 15, 2003, 06:03 AM

1) BIrthdays from Address Book should be a one time option (put all birthdays from addressbook in calendar x)

2) Righht click on dock support (show today, todays todos, go to date... etc)

3) Support notes and sync with iSync

4) (for iSync) please quit after you sync. Why does it always stay open?

BZ

biscuit
Mac Enthusiast
May 15, 2003, 06:54 AM

Definitely has to be importing birthdays and a Go to Date function. I couldn't believe they weren't in there from the start, it really hampers the usefulness for me at least.

Apple could learn a lot from the way the calendar was set up on the old Psions (Revo/Series 5/3), now that was an elegant system IMO.

Oh, and a bit more speed would be nice too, how taxing can a calendar really be?

biscuit
( Last edited by biscuit; May 15, 2003 at 09:48 AM. )

ameat
Dedicated MacNNer
May 15, 2003, 08:29 AM

Originally posted by ryarber:
2) Ability to option-drag an event to make a duplicate on another day.
...the ability to duplicate events is necessary. seems like a trivial task when creating a calendar that should have been in there from the get go...

xtal
Senior User
May 15, 2003, 09:28 AM

Originally posted by JKT:
2) the ability to create timed events that stretch over a period of days (currently not possible to e.g. enter a flight that starts at 9.00 pm one evening and ends at 9 am the next day without splitting it into two different entries or enter it as an all day event)
Yes!!!

Apparently Apple doesn't want me going out past midnight...

To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.

ixus_123
Dedicated MacNNer
May 15, 2003, 10:29 AM

I would like to see user selectable colours for the individual calanders - the current 6 colours isn't enough for me

The abilty to have an alert / alarm wake from sleep then I could go back to using ical calling itunes to wake me up which was great. I didnt used to put the ibook to sleep but my HD is damaged and hence too noisy to leave on at night.

Maybe have the option to run certain applescripts on certain dates - that would open up a lot of possibilities.

speed would be nice but i dont expect much on my aging ibook.

ps
while im in here does anyone know how I change the date format from mm/dd/yyyy to dd/mm/yyyy
iBook G3 366mhz as a web server:
http://kieren.demon.co.uk/wordpress/

kovacs
Mac Elite
May 15, 2003, 10:41 AM

Originally posted by ctbritt:
Frickin' proxy support.
Amen, that would be very nice...

Why most iApps don't support proxy connections is a riddle to me ( they are really popular here, most universities use them and some very big broadband ISP's use them ), thank god the iTunes music store works but of course I can't download anything yet...

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2003, 01:13 PM

Originally posted by Russian Mac fan:
"2. Ability to drag an event to a new day in the calendar."

You can do that in the current release
I suppose I should have been more specific. I generally use Day View. This can't be done in Day View. However, I see that it can be done in Week View and Month View which is better than nothing.

OAW

tikki
Mac Elite
May 15, 2003, 01:58 PM

Publish more than one calendar together. I hate having to send links to people with three seperate calendars. I just want to put my Personal, Work, and School calendars together so my friends can know where I am. The shareware I found to do it just doesn't cut it for me.

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

TC
Senior User
May 15, 2003, 03:21 PM

Originally posted by ixus_123:
ps
while im in here does anyone know how I change the date format from mm/dd/yyyy to dd/mm/yyyy
System Preferences | International | Date

Set your region or just change the Short Date format to Day/Month/Year.
Nothing to see, move along.

Bobby
Mac Enthusiast
May 15, 2003, 05:09 PM

I want Steve Jobs to jump up from the bottom of the screen and tell me that I have an appointment coming...

ixus_123
Dedicated MacNNer
May 15, 2003, 06:31 PM

Originally posted by TC:
System Preferences | International | Date

Set your region or just change the Short Date format to Day/Month/Year.
Thanks but already been there and done that. I should have mentioned it sorry. My system date is fine (dd/mm/yyy) but iCal still displays mm/dd/yyyy and I can't find an option to change it. It can be very annoying esp. if I'm in a rush as I end up with appointments in the wrong month.
iBook G3 366mhz as a web server:
http://kieren.demon.co.uk/wordpress/

ameat
Dedicated MacNNer
May 16, 2003, 09:25 PM

Originally posted by kovacs:
Amen, that would be very nice...

Why most iApps don't support proxy connections is a riddle to me ( they are really popular here, most universities use them and some very big broadband ISP's use them ), thank god the iTunes music store works but of course I can't download anything yet...
...why not try setting your proxy information in the Network preference panel? seems like a logical place to have one universal proxy location...safari uses it, why shouldn't the other apple apps?

Chris Grande
Senior User
May 16, 2003, 09:41 PM

Originally posted by ameat:
...why not try setting your proxy information in the Network preference panel? seems like a logical place to have one universal proxy location...safari uses it, why shouldn't the other apple apps?
You would think that would work...ask Apple why some iApps ignore it.

ambush
Banned
May 16, 2003, 11:23 PM

I want a public iCal API/Framework (like AddressBook)

rm199
Mac Enthusiast
May 17, 2003, 05:32 AM

timezones please, side by side. I want to book and see appointments in the appropriate time zone.

RM

tikki
Mac Elite
May 17, 2003, 11:41 AM

Originally posted by ambush:
I want a public iCal API/Framework (like AddressBook)
definitely agree with that one.

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

Drizzt
Mac Elite
May 18, 2003, 12:01 AM

1. I want the iCalHelper to show up and tell me appointments reminders I missed because the computer was not openned
  2. I want the iCalHelper to let me snooze an appointment to an other time
  3. I was editable shared calendars too..

Pale Rider
Forum Regular
May 21, 2003, 02:15 PM

<SNIP>
<SNIP>
Maybe I am missing something, but can't we already do this? I changed all my calendar colors.

absmiths
Mac Elite
May 21, 2003, 02:22 PM

I want to be able to prioritize To Do items so that they don't just pop into alphabetical order.

Dependencies would be nice too.

Jerommeke
Mac Elite
May 21, 2003, 04:34 PM

1. speed
2. ability to plan events easily which occur over a date border
3. and ability to show events not taking the whole day on more days.
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

Russian Mac fan  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2003, 04:40 PM

Well, I have ditched ICal and gotten Personal Organizer from Chronos installed and running.

Yeah, kinda OS 10.1 looking but it syncs with Palm's Datebk5 categories flawlessly.

I am also playing with Life Balance (again). I tried it last year.

1. Sync with Datebook 5 categories (premier Palm OS calendar/to do program)

2. Drag a ToDo into the Calendar view as with competing OS X programs Now Up-to-Date and Personal Organizer

4. Be able to view ToDo specific to a certain Day/Week view

Those are the biggies for me. How about everyone else?

j45degrees
Forum Regular
May 23, 2003, 01:17 PM

Here's what I would like to see iCal do;

Everything that Now-Up-To-Date does but do it the iCal way.

I would also love a iCal method of doing what FastTrack Schedule does.

if these would both sync to my palm without getting involved in software gymnastics I would be a happy camper.

If the above were reality then I would change every Mac in our company to OSX. Right now there are only 2 computers using OSX. The other 20 plus G3 and G4 machines are still using OS9.

libraryguy
Dedicated MacNNer
May 25, 2003, 03:09 PM

Originally posted by xtal:
I would like 'all-day' events that are longer than the day width to wrap the line and make the 'all-day' section larger (in height).

The 'all-day' events I have now, like "Jennifer's Birthday", have only one line visible, and say "Jennifer's".

Am I making any sense?
I second that one. I have all the birthdays like this...Birthday:Name. So, all I see in month view is Birthday:. but no name...very annoying.

"When you do the common things in life in an uncommon way, you will command the attention of the world." -George Washington Carver

Forum Links
Forum Rules