Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > cdrw startup problem

cdrw startup problem
popheader
Mar 3, 2001, 08:56 PM

Help I have an older imac 333mhz, currently running OS 9.0 I keep trying to install my cdrw a QUE USB the software installs ok but my computer wont startup! Any ideas?
Hey I almost forgot the software is QUE Drive Toast version 4.1
Thanks
If it wasn't for cynicism, I wouldn't have anything good to say at all

Cipher13
Mar 3, 2001, 09:33 PM

Hm... do you have if you have iTunes installed get rid of the "Authoring Support" extension.

Try plugging the Que! straight into the computer on startup.
Does it work if you startup, then plug it in? Can you burn then?

Does it boot when the Que! is not plugged in?

You should really update to OS 9.1 or at least OS 9.04.

How much RAM do you have?

Also consider getting Toast Deluxe...

There may be a USB driver issue but I doubt that.

Report back here with the answers...

Cipher13

popheader  (op)
Mar 3, 2001, 09:56 PM

Hi Thanks for your quick reply! I can't get the computer to boot up at all after I install the software regardless if the burner is plugged in or not. I am planning on downloading 9.0.4 tonight also I downloaded a demo of conflict catcher and am planning on trying that too. I will try to get it going and will reply my results in the near future as to help anyone else with this problem. I assume it's an extension problem but then you never know. Thanks again...

popheader  (op)
Mar 3, 2001, 09:59 PM

Hi Thanks for your quick reply! I can't get the computer to boot up at all after I install the software regardless if the burner is plugged in or not. I am planning on downloading 9.0.4 tonight also I downloaded a demo of conflict catcher and am planning on trying that too. I will try to get it going and will reply my results in the near future as to help anyone else with this problem. I assume it's an extension problem but then you never know. Thanks again...

Cipher13
Mar 4, 2001, 02:44 AM

Don't bother with Conflict Catcher - causes more problems than it fixes.
Its definately an extensions prob.
Start up from the MacOS All extension set.
If it works up ok then, definately drivers.
Delete whatever was installed, and try Toast Deluxe...

Cipher13

popheader  (op)
Mar 4, 2001, 01:21 PM

Hi Cipher You were right about conflict catcher! Maybe I just dont understand it fully, but while testing my computer with CC It locked up on startup as usual only this time it wouldn't start even with extensions off. I had to boot up using my norton cd then select startup disk with ext.off finally started. After it started I deleted all toast software using Sherlock, problem gone. No matter what I do if I install Toast my machine will not start! Actually it did work once for a brief time while I was setting up retrospect express to back up my stuff last night-then the next day the computer would not start? I have 96 mb built in ram now using 9.0.4. This morning nothing, I am considering getting a new imac since I have had nothing but problems since the day I bought it. This would be a last resort option, but with imacs shipping with built in cdrw's it is tempting now only if I could figure out how to turn this imac into a fish tank HA HA. Thanks for the help I may consider getting toast deluxe only I'am afraid I'll sink more money into the imac titanic.

Talk later

Cipher13
Mar 4, 2001, 05:27 PM

Hm... I may have a fix for your problem.
Email me and we'll try to work it out.
BTW, install OS 9.1.
I'll talk you through the trial and error method of finding extension conflicts, and the other thing that I think may help...

Cipher13

Forum Links
Forum Rules