Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > I might be buying a powerbook soon

I might be buying a powerbook soon
magid
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 14, 2004, 03:05 PM

Do you guys think i should buy now or wait? I'm not really in a rush, but i dont want to buy now and a new one comes out at the end of the summer or wwdc. What do you think? BTW, i am interested in a 15" model.

zAm

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2004, 03:07 PM

i ordered a 15" friday to replace my 550... so you know what I would do

supposed to ship no later than friday, cant wait

azdude
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 14, 2004, 03:30 PM

I just picked up my brand new 15"/1.5/SuperDrive model from the Apple Store yesterday. No regrets -- now or ever. What a piece of equipment!

General Advice:
If your dollar NOW is worth the computer NOW, then get it. Don't worry about what's over the horizon (reasonably).

Specific Advice:
G5's aren't expected until '05. Go for it... the G4 PowerBook is an awesome machine.

BTW: <bragging>
I didn't notice it until this morning (Lust, StickerShock), but it looks as though the Apple Store Chandler messed up and gave me an extra $100 off the EDU Price! $2199 !!
17" 2.33GHz C2D MacBook Pro / 320GB / 2GB

dodo_nutter
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 14, 2004, 03:51 PM

nice accidental discount there azdude!!!

Im a student and i ordeded a 15" 1.5GHz a couple of days after it was announced so i could use it as my main computer at Uni (going in Oct depending on grades!!). As azdude said the next big upgrade in PB will likely be the G5 chip getting put in them but then again Apple never has a good record with their Rev.A PBs so i wouldn't get one until Rev.B and thats going to be at least a year away most probably. So unless the G4 range gets another minor speed bump its going to be a while before the range gets upgraded.

If you cut through the waffle in there what im trying to say is buy now unless you really don't need it for a while. The current G4 PBs will be plenty powerful for 2-3 years before you start feeling left out due to lack of power.

have fun buying!!

-Tom
Soon we'll be out, amid the cold worlds strife,
Soon we'll be sliding down the razor blade of life

TampaDeveloper
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 14, 2004, 04:50 PM

Apple has said they won't be moving to the G5 for a long time in the powerbook line... So I don't see why now wouldn't be a good time to get one... Personally I think its ALWAYS a good time to get a new powerbook

Nawus
Forum Regular
Jun 14, 2004, 05:10 PM

Like the ad said, "Just Do It!"
I too took delivery of my 15" 1.5 over the weekend and what a piece of art!

magid  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 14, 2004, 05:41 PM

You guys are too good at this. I think im going to order my powerbook BTO through smalldog sometime this week, gotta get the funds together. I will post pics/thoughts as soon as i get it. thanks guys

magid  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 14, 2004, 05:52 PM

also, does anyone have any comments/thoughts about the 128mb VRAM update and the 5400rpm drive update? Do you feel that it adds a little more speed to the machine, or should i just save my money and buy more ram.

Jwylie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 14, 2004, 06:30 PM

I was also planning on buying a powerbook ( a 12" though ) in the next week or so but i was wondering what you guys think about this: it has nothing to do with the performance but i heard that last year towards the end summer they gave away a free i-pod and the powerbook was cheaper and if you think they will do a similiar promotion this year, because i would wait for that. And do you guys think that if a went to an apple store and asked them to throw in a free i-pod with my purchase if i was paying cash, would they do it? thanks guys.

dodo_nutter
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 14, 2004, 07:14 PM

good decision!!!

you definitely wont regret it!

Well i got the 128 VRAM and the faster HDD. on the HDD speed front IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE so get it...it isnt that much more expensive and there is a noticeable difference.

And with the VRAM....well im one of those freaks who has to have the best thats avaliable so just had to have it...no idea if it helps performance but im guessing it does somewhere!!

Jwylie...no idea if that would work but try it!!
Soon we'll be out, amid the cold worlds strife,
Soon we'll be sliding down the razor blade of life

velodev
Senior User
Jun 14, 2004, 07:26 PM

Originally posted by magid:
You guys are too good at this. I think im going to order my powerbook BTO through smalldog sometime this week, gotta get the funds together. I will post pics/thoughts as soon as i get it. thanks guys
no offense... but we've all seen a powerbook before.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2004, 01:50 PM

Originally posted by velodev:
no offense... but we've all seen a powerbook before.
That's a little harsh; if he wants to share, let him.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

rglenn
Jun 15, 2004, 03:07 PM

Originally posted by Jwylie:
I was also planning on buying a powerbook ( a 12" though ) in the next week or so but i was wondering what you guys think about this: it has nothing to do with the performance but i heard that last year towards the end summer they gave away a free i-pod and the powerbook was cheaper and if you think they will do a similiar promotion this year, because i would wait for that. And do you guys think that if a went to an apple store and asked them to throw in a free i-pod with my purchase if i was paying cash, would they do it? thanks guys.
Jwylie, the current promos end on the 28th. If anything new / interesting is going to be announced, it'll probably be on the 29th.

I'm planning on buying mine sometime around the end of the month, just to get in on the new promo - whatever it is.

mcs37
Forum Regular
Jun 15, 2004, 03:16 PM

It's not on the radar, but there might be a revision for the current G4 PowerBooks this summer (late June) at the WWDC. I'm probably going to order my own PowerBook in July some time, so I can afford to wait. :-) I'm working in a Windows-only environment starting September, so I need to have my home PB to balance me out. Plus it's so much nicer to view pictures and video on a Mac!

magid  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2004, 09:39 PM

alright, im probably gonna wait, i dont need a new powerbook to distract me from studying for all my finals I will probably wait to see what happens at wwdc.

velodev
Senior User
Jun 15, 2004, 09:44 PM

Originally posted by Stradlater:
That's a little harsh; if he wants to share, let him.
I personally think it's the truth... have you not seen a powerbook before?

velodev
Senior User
Jun 15, 2004, 09:44 PM

Originally posted by magid:
alright, im probably gonna wait, i dont need a new powerbook to distract me from studying for all my finals I will probably wait to see what happens at wwdc.
whew... you had me worried for a couple days not knowing what was going to happen.

sbc
Forum Regular
Jun 16, 2004, 12:05 PM

He may be referring to the picture thread where everyone shares their set up. Some people enjoy the thread, others don't-a matter of personal opinion.
Am I ready for the Mac? I want a 60G iPod!!!!!

djohnson
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2004, 01:02 PM

I may be getting a 12" PowerBook soon too! Oh and I will post pics so everyone can remember what it was like to open a new computer box.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2004, 01:35 PM

Truth is relative

If you don't want to see his pictures, you don't have to look at them. Others may be interested; regardless, people like to share.

Oh, and I own a PB, thank you.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2004, 07:44 AM

I decided the wait was not worth it...
Take you own decision, it's always the best... you're the only one to know what you need/can do.

BTW, if you want to post pictures, we'll all be happy to share you joy, even if it's not the first PB we see

tfrantz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2004, 08:48 AM

Originally posted by Stradlater:
Truth is relative

If you don't want to see his pictures, you don't have to look at them. Others may be interested; regardless, people like to share.

Oh, and I own a PB, thank you.
X2

Hey, I love looking at people's setups and computers. Granted, some are pretty plain but every now and then there is a really cool desk or chair or laptop stand that I had not seen before.

And as far as the laptops go, a lot of us are living vicariously through your photos. I would love a new Powerbook, but it may be a couple of years. Your excitement is my excitement!

Please post your new Powerbook photos. And congratulations!

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 18, 2004, 10:00 AM

Since you love to see others laptops Here is my precious.

http://homepage.mac.com/bhardy3/PhotoAlbum37.html

in her beautiful work environment.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2004, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by urrl78:
Since you love to see others laptops Here is my precious.

http://homepage.mac.com/bhardy3/PhotoAlbum37.html

in her beautiful work environment.
i like the line about a can usually occupying the left hand rest, but you didnt want a messy picture ... lol

Forum Links
Forum Rules