Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OSX slowing down after 1-2 days

OSX slowing down after 1-2 days
popheader
May 25, 2005, 01:34 PM

I have been using osx since the public beta and have enjoyed all the new releases, but lately after 10.3.9 I have noticed a real slowing down of my machine to the point where I need to do a restart. The only thing I really noticed was something called "lookupd" running under root. When I open the activity monitor I see this app using 80-90% of my cpu at one time it had 14 threads? I'm not a programmer in the least, but after I restart this is gone from the activity window and everything is running nice and quick again, then a day or two go by and the same thing happens. I have a PowerMac G3 server Blue and White with a Powerlogix 1 Ghz G3 750 GX and the Radeon 9200 128 MB video Card, and 896 Ram. Could some of the mods be causing this problem? Any help welcome.
If it wasn't for cynicism, I wouldn't have anything good to say at all

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 25, 2005, 01:53 PM

Do you have Virex installed? What about FileVault?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

popheader  (op)
May 25, 2005, 06:11 PM

Yes I am running both Virex and use File vault. Virex is set to run only manually.

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 25, 2005, 06:14 PM

Delete Virex. See if that helps. If still bogged down, turn off FileVault (you can maintain security by creating an encrypted disk).

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

popheader  (op)
May 26, 2005, 01:24 PM

Thanks Randman I will try these things and post the results in a day or two.

CatOne
Mac Elite
May 26, 2005, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by popheader
I have been using osx since the public beta and have enjoyed all the new releases, but lately after 10.3.9 I have noticed a real slowing down of my machine to the point where I need to do a restart. The only thing I really noticed was something called "lookupd" running under root. When I open the activity monitor I see this app using 80-90% of my cpu at one time it had 14 threads? I'm not a programmer in the least, but after I restart this is gone from the activity window and everything is running nice and quick again, then a day or two go by and the same thing happens. I have a PowerMac G3 server Blue and White with a Powerlogix 1 Ghz G3 750 GX and the Radeon 9200 128 MB video Card, and 896 Ram. Could some of the mods be causing this problem? Any help welcome.
lookupd is the DNS resolver of OS X. It does a number of other things, but it's critical to OS X function. Not sure why it's hogging that much CPU, but that's not normal.

Right now, lookupd on my machine has 2 threads. 14 does sound a bit excessive. Not sure though that it's necessarily a lookupd problem -- some application could be asking lookupd to do a ton of work, so what you're seeing could be a side effect of another application.

Realistically, the only thing I can think would be to ask AppleCare, or try and file a bug report, attaching a sample of lookupd to it. This might not be feasible -- you have to have a free WWDC membership, at least.

Forum Links
Forum Rules