Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 333mhz imac more ram firmware?

333mhz imac more ram firmware?
popheader
Aug 21, 2001, 09:24 PM

Hello all I just got a 256mb chip upper slot 144pin 3.3v so dimm blah blah blah for $39.00 from macsolutions.com. An Apple rep told me I had to update my firmware to 1.4? I think? And can only go up to 256 mb total memory. Which means I need to pull the factory 32mb out? I read some of these threads about 512mb on rev.a imacs, is this guy blowing smoke up my xxxx? I really don't want to ruin my machine and also would prefer not to remove the lower chip if poss. any help appreceiated...
If it wasn't for cynicism, I wouldn't have anything good to say at all

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 21, 2001, 10:54 PM

Originally posted by popheader:
<STRONG>Hello all I just got a 256mb chip upper slot 144pin 3.3v so dimm blah blah blah for $39.00 from macsolutions.com. An Apple rep told me I had to update my firmware to 1.4? I think? And can only go up to 256 mb total memory. Which means I need to pull the factory 32mb out? I read some of these threads about 512mb on rev.a imacs, is this guy blowing smoke up my xxxx? I really don't want to ruin my machine and also would prefer not to remove the lower chip if poss. any help appreceiated... </STRONG>
Apple officially supports lower amounts of memory. This is the official line. As with many things in life, the official answer isn't always the last answer.

I have an even older iMac, and I have 512MB, 256 on top and 256 on bottom.

Upgrading the firmware on your iMac is something you ought to do anyways.
In the case of the iMacs, it allows you to run MacOS 9.1 and OS X, and doesn't have any bad effects on the computer.

I have had great success with low-profile 256mb modules that were intended for the IBM Thinkpad 600 and T20 series laptops.

these are 32Mx64 PC100 3.3volt 256mb 4k refresh SO-DIMM modules.

look here at crucial

for the modules like I use. (actually mine are IBM-made, sourced from IBM, but these are the same compatible modules from crucial. They'll work for you, I swear it.)

Good luck, and you can email me if you want to do it yourself and want guidance.

[email protected]

Victor Marks
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

popheader  (op)
Aug 21, 2001, 11:40 PM

Hey thanks for the info I really just wanted to leave the lower bank alone if possible due to my clutzy hands, I'll leave the 32 mb in there. I already have the upper bank filled with 64mb which now I guess I'll donate to my daughter's school. Hopefully all will work out ok! Long live Apple....
If it wasn't for cynicism, I wouldn't have anything good to say at all

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 21, 2001, 11:56 PM

Originally posted by popheader:
<STRONG>Hey thanks for the info I really just wanted to leave the lower bank alone if possible due to my clutzy hands, I'll leave the 32 mb in there. I already have the upper bank filled with 64mb which now I guess I'll donate to my daughter's school. Hopefully all will work out ok! Long live Apple....</STRONG>
If you can do the upper slot, the lower one is just as easy.

Once you have the computer logic out and are ready to upgrade the upper slot, and have already removed the top of the metal cage around the processor card,

1) remove the heatsink clip and heatsink.

2) using your hands or the heatsink clip, lever up and remove the processor card from the main logic board.

3) flip it over, remove the 32mb of RAM (pull the side retaining clips to the outside to release the memory. pull the memory up to a 45 degree angle from the processor card. remove and replace with 256mb. Place the 256mb at a 45 degree angle to the processor card, push it firmly to seat it in the connector, and then push it flat until the retaining clips click and hold the memory in place.

4) flip the processor card back upright, insert the two tabs into the metal cage and press carefully but firmly down at the back end of the card (near back of the computer) to re-seat the processor card.

5) put the heatsink and heatsink clip back on. Change the memory in the top slot to 256mb.

6) put the top of the cage back on and put the computer back together.

You can do this, and it doesn't cost much (see that link at crucial.)

email me or call me, and I can talk you through it.

[email protected]
919-782-2009 EST.

Victor Marks
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

peterthorn
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 22, 2001, 04:20 AM

You can also see a guide for upgrading the bottom ram attheimac.com

Good luck!
Peter

[ 08-22-2001: Message edited by: peterthorn ]

candyman
Forum Regular
Aug 24, 2001, 06:13 AM

Hello.

The firmware update 1.4 doesn't exist.