Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 13" MacBook Pro anyone???

13" MacBook Pro anyone??? (Page 2)
buddy1065
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 18, 2006, 09:21 AM

Until I see dual layer come back I will be content with what I have; 17" Powerbook 1.5 Ghz and 10.6" screen Vaio T250.

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Apr 18, 2006, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by scottmorgan42
Two stories recently published in past two weeks:
Intel to release 2.33 Ghz Core Duo processor in next six weeks
MacBook to be released by end of May (about six weeks)

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to deduce that Apple just might be planning to upgrade the MBP's to 2, 2.16 and 2.33 bto, and intoducing the MacBook with 1.66 and 1.83 Core Duo's
Well, 2.33GHz could be used for the PowerMac replacement machine for a start, instead of straight into MacBook Pro.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2006, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by veryniceguy2002
Well, 2.33GHz could be used for the PowerMac replacement machine for a start, instead of straight into MacBook Pro.
No it wont, the Core Duo is a laptop chip, and although powerful, will not deliver the performance that Intels new desktop chips will deliver. A Core Duo will never be inside a PowerMac. It is used in Apple's other 2 desktop machines because the iMac is basically a laptop with a faster/larger HD, and the mac mini is also basically a laptop without a screen. The PowerMac has a huge amount of space inside it, giving it room for much more than a laptop processor.
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Frans  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 18, 2006, 06:52 PM

Would be interesting to see if the new Intel's coincide with the new 13" Mac Book (Pro), I was actually hoping for a release this month, so I could get my hands on one before the summer holiday...
After 18 years of MS-DOS and Windows working very happy on Mac, now on a 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz - 2Gb memory - 200 Gb HD with a 20 and 23" screen. I've been waiting for the iPhone for quite a while, let's role it out in Europe. Just one wish left for now: a light mac (2-3 pounds) with 8 hours of working time. They can do it... :-)

Zyphere
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 18, 2006, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Frans
Would be interesting to see if the new Intel's coincide with the new 13" Mac Book (Pro), I was actually hoping for a release this month, so I could get my hands on one before the summer holiday...
I was hoping to grab one during the summer holiday, but it doesn't look like that's happening. Meroms won't be around until after the holidays, most likely.

Loganic_Mind
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 18, 2006, 11:18 PM

I have a question... If I buy a 12-inch Powerbook right now (I'm in need of a laptop and the MBP is too large), and Apple releases the new MB soon after, would I be allowed to trade the PB for the MB? Even if I would have to pay the difference?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 19, 2006, 02:49 AM

I think in the US there's a 14 day return policy and there is a restocking fee. This depends on where you are. In some countries Apple is obliged by law to take back any product within n days. In some countries restocking fees are illegal. It really depends on where you live. And I think it also depends on where you buy - Apple.com, brick and mortar Apple Stores and authorized dealers might have a different policy.

I'd check with the place you're planning to buy from. And I'd try to get the policy in writing rather than have some Joe from a call center say something over the phone you'll never be able to prove.

And finally, there's always Ebay. However chances are, once the MB gets released, the 12" PB might see a pretty rapid decrease in resale value.

Frans  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 19, 2006, 06:51 PM

So, the 17" out next week and the 13" out next month....

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1681

I'm getting impatienced...
After 18 years of MS-DOS and Windows working very happy on Mac, now on a 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz - 2Gb memory - 200 Gb HD with a 20 and 23" screen. I've been waiting for the iPhone for quite a while, let's role it out in Europe. Just one wish left for now: a light mac (2-3 pounds) with 8 hours of working time. They can do it... :-)

Frans  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 19, 2006, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Loganic_Mind
I have a question... If I buy a 12-inch Powerbook right now (I'm in need of a laptop and the MBP is too large), and Apple releases the new MB soon after, would I be allowed to trade the PB for the MB? Even if I would have to pay the difference?
Risky bet, I would go for an iBook and work on it for the next four months so that the first productionflaws of the 13" are corrected and than sell the iBook...

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2006, 07:35 PM

That would be complicated and not advisable. As suggested in other responses, you may at the least have to pay a restocking fee. The new Macbooks may be faster than any of the G4 Powerbooks. Its kinda funny that in a single revision, the consumer line of notebooks will actually be significantly faster than the previous professional notebook. This could affect resale value on ebay--but maybe not. Lots of people out there that will need to run PPC only apps for some time.

Just wait! You know something is due out soon, why not make a decision when you have all the choices in front of you?

Loganic_Mind
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 19, 2006, 10:03 PM

The problem with waiting is that I need to buy my computer before the end of this school semester, which is somewhere around May 2. As soon as May is up, I'll be traveling overseas, so it would only be until then that I would be able to 'exchange' it.

Thanks for the help. The most I'll be doing with a laptop is ratehr limited photo and/or movie editing. I imagine the 12-in PB is capable, but I'd like it to last for a while (2-4 years?) as well. How long do you think the PB will be an effective player, including factors such as OS upgrades?

Frans  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 24, 2006, 08:11 PM

The most I'll be doing with a laptop is ratehr limited photo and/or movie editing. I imagine the 12-in PB is capable, but I'd like it to last for a while (2-4 years?) as well. How long do you think the PB will be an effective player, including factors such as OS upgrades?
The minute the MacIntel 12" or 13" comes out your G4 (whether it's iBook or PB) will be obsolete, the speed difference is simply huge. However, you can work for at least 2 years on your G4 without any problem what so ever. There will be software-support for at least 5 years, since it's all going to be universal binaries. What is more likely to happen, is that you sort of get annoyed with the fact that your machine is much slower than the new macintel, so you end up buying the new machine anyway....

Frans  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 24, 2006, 08:13 PM

So now that the 17" is out, it's our turn to have a really coooool, nice, sleek, light, small laptop, right?

Word on when we can expect that however is rather divided. AppleInsider estimates May, an analyst suggested July...

Any other sounds?

mgl
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 24, 2006, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Frans
So now that the 17" is out, it's our turn to have a really coooool, nice, sleek, light, small laptop, right?

Word on when we can expect that however is rather divided. AppleInsider estimates May, an analyst suggested July...

Any other sounds?
I posted a message in the iBook thread guessing this week based on the fact that Apple discontinued the 17" G4 but left all the pages about it outside the store up. The pages were last modified when the 15" was discontinued. My theory is that they left these up on purpose because the pages still mention the 12". If the 12" was going to exist for a couple more weeks, Apple would simply change the pages. If it's for a day or two, Apple might just leave them up. Or maybe it's just a mistake.

http://www.apple.com/powerbook/index17.html

im_noahselby
Senior User
Apr 24, 2006, 11:05 PM

I don't think Apple will release a 13" MacBook Pro - at least not in the near future. The 13" MacBook set to be released shortly should satisfy the majority of the market until Apple is ready to offer a true replacement to the 12" PB. I would be very surprised to see new 13" MacBooks as well as new 13" MacBook Pro's. It just seems like it would be too much of nearly the same product to deliver all at one time.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

PJJames
Forum Regular
Apr 25, 2006, 12:13 AM

I figure Apple will release a 13 inch Macbook Pro. Why not??? I think they'll put the processors in the Mac Mini in the Macbooks and put the 1.83ghz Core Duo in the 13 inch Macbook Pro. Then possibly make the 2.0ghz Core Duo standard in 15.4 inch, and still offer the 2.16 as an upgrade. Or when Intel releases the new Core Duo's in a few weeks, it'll go - 2.0 in the 13, 2.16 in the 15.4 - upgradable to 2.33, and 2.33 in the 17...and then in the Macbooks they'll either do a 1.5ghz Core Solo or 1.66 Core Duo, and then 1.83 Core Duo in the more "pro" version of the MB's. That's how I see it. I currently own a 15-inch Powerbook 1.5ghz and it's slow compared to my Powermac, but compared to my buddies Macbook Pro, mines a slug. I would buy a 13 inch Macbook Pro in a heartbeat. I do lots of mobile recording and my 15-inch isn't big....but I would love a smaller portable that was smokin fast. Anyways, that's my 2 cents....
( Last edited by PJJames; Apr 25, 2006 at 06:01 AM. )

ajprice
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2006, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by scottmorgan42
Two stories recently published in past two weeks:
Intel to release 2.33 Ghz Core Duo processor in next six weeks
MacBook to be released by end of May (about six weeks)

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to deduce that Apple just might be planning to upgrade the MBP's to 2, 2.16 and 2.33 bto, and intoducing the MacBook with 1.66 and 1.83 Core Duo's

Originally Posted by mduell
Also significant price drops on the Core Duos at the end of May (about $200 off the 2.0 price).
I think (hope) that its the end of Apple's 6 month product upgrade cycles now.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

real
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 25, 2006, 01:16 PM

I'd love to see a 13.3 " macbookpro.

I have a desktop for all the heavy lifting and my laptop for e-mail, internet, travel, and other stuff on the go.

real
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2006, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by real
I'd love to see a 13.3 " macbookpro.

I have a desktop for all the heavy lifting and my laptop for e-mail, internet, travel, and other stuff on the go.

real
So if all you do on your laptop is email, internet, travel 'and other stuff' (assuming this isnt full HD video editing or such like), then why would you need a 13.3" MacBook Pro? Surely a 13.3" MacBook would suffice, no matter what the specs
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Frans  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2006, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by mgl
I posted a message in the iBook thread guessing this week based on the fact that Apple discontinued the 17" G4 but left all the pages about it outside the store up. The pages were last modified when the 15" was discontinued. My theory is that they left these up on purpose because the pages still mention the 12". If the 12" was going to exist for a couple more weeks, Apple would simply change the pages. If it's for a day or two, Apple might just leave them up. Or maybe it's just a mistake.

http://www.apple.com/powerbook/index17.html
It's changed now, so maybe they were a bit behind with updating

Frans  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2006, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by PJJames
I figure Apple will release a 13 inch Macbook Pro. Why not??? I think they'll put the processors in the Mac Mini in the Macbooks and put the 1.83ghz Core Duo in the 13 inch Macbook Pro.
They might do that without giving the high-spec version the 'Pro' in the name. What I really hope for is a DVI-output, otherwise I can't hook up to the 20" screen we have....

masugu
Senior User
Apr 26, 2006, 11:27 PM

I have a Sony VAIO S series notebook (for work....in addition to lotsa personal Macs) Nice screen - 13.3...but what distinguishes wide screen? My PB Ti 15" feels like a wide screen...will the new Macbooks be even more elongated?

michaelb
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2006, 11:55 PM

When talking TVs, "widescreen" refers to a TV with an aspect ratio of 16:9 (1.78) instead of the traditional 4:3 (1.33) aspect ratio of most TVs from the 1960s onwards.

For computer screens, "wide screen" is usually given to anything with an aspect ratio that is wider than the 4:3 aspect ratio.

The old 12" PowerBook and iBooks are 1024x768, which is 4:3 (1.33), so they are not widescreen.

The MacBook Pro 15" has a screen resolution of 1440x900, giving an aspect ratio of 16:10 (1.6) which makes it widescreen using this loose definition.

The rumored 13.3" MacBook will probably be 1280x720, which is 16:9 (1.78), which meets both the TV definition and the computer screen definition for genuine widescreen.

If it does, the screen will be about 11.6" across by 6.5" high.

masugu
Senior User
Apr 27, 2006, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by michaelb
When talking TVs, "widescreen" refers to a TV with an aspect ratio of 16:9 (1.78) instead of the traditional 4:3 (1.33) aspect ratio of most TVs from the 1960s onwards.

For computer screens, "wide screen" is usually given to anything with an aspect ratio that is wider than the 4:3 aspect ratio.

The old 12" PowerBook and iBooks are 1024x768, which is 4:3 (1.33), so they are not widescreen.

The MacBook Pro 15" has a screen resolution of 1440x900, giving an aspect ratio of 16:10 (1.6) which makes it widescreen using this loose definition.

The rumored 13.3" MacBook will probably be 1280x720, which is 16:9 (1.78), which meets both the TV definition and the computer screen definition for genuine widescreen.

If it does, the screen will be about 11.6" across by 6.5" high.
COOOL!

THanks.

That is exactly what I wanted to know !

Felix
Forum Regular
Apr 29, 2006, 11:03 AM

A 13.3 inch laptop would be absolutely reasonable to enhance the present line up.

It could merge the 12 and 14 inch iBook into one new consumer laptop.

As a souped-up version it would serve well as a convenient, truely portable prosumer laptop, "pro" or not.

After Apple has instantly named its laptop "pro", there's gotta be a "macbook" without "pro." Porsche does the same strategy all the time: Cayenne S introduced, two years later Cayenne. Cayman S introduced, Cayman is for certain later.

Always introduce the high-end version first to have the ethusiastic / impatient customers pay the extra premium.

I would be happy to replace my Pismo with a performing 13.3 inch thing. I would be more than happy with: Duo (1.6 or 1.8 is fine), plenty of ram, separate graphics, DL burner, DVI/VGA/S-video-capable exit (this variety is needed as I have to hook up to various beamers, TVs, etc), FW 400, WLAN/Bluetooth.

Maybe iSight will fit there. I wouldn't care about the remote control as such things get lost right away.

Maybe they will install 1.8 inch HDs? LED-illuminated screens for enhanced lifetime? GPS-Antenna?

Regards, Felix
2007 MacBook Pro 2.4 4 GByte RAM 320/7000 HD
2000 Powerbook Pismo G3 500 MHz, 640 MByte RAM, 40 GByte HD, Airport, NewerTech Battery, integrated DVD/CD-R(W) running Mac OS 10.4.11

LMaung
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2006, 03:37 PM

I am so ready to guy 13 inches MBP. Anyidea when it will come out?
Super whine, super hot Macbook Pro.
IBM T42

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2006, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Felix
Maybe they will install 1.8 inch HDs?

LED-illuminated screens for enhanced lifetime?

GPS-Antenna?
Doubtful in a non-ultralight laptop (no optical drive); the price/capacity/performance penalty is too great.

Possible.

Why? I don't see much demand for it.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Apr 29, 2006, 04:02 PM

If it came with a 1.8" drive, I wouldn't buy it. Those drives are way too slow.

GPS antenna is also extremely unlikely, given that the much larger 15" and 17" models don't have that either, and probably about 0.01% of the population would actually use it anyway.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2006, 04:25 PM

now that the 12" powerbook is the ONLY powerbook left at the apple store...
the 13" has to be soon...

it better happen by june, or i'm spending the $ on an island vacation...

i am really ready to replace my 12" revC, but am hoping the 13" will have "pro" specs.
am so tired of apple making features based on size (so the 17" is the fastest, etc)

"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

MikeD
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2006, 09:35 PM

I agree with fisherking above. In fact, any macbook pro that can compete with something form factor wise as the vaio tx series would be great IMO. That little computer is really cool!
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

mgl
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 30, 2006, 08:48 AM

I don't think Apple will ship a 13" MBP at least initially. Maybe later. I think there will be 2 models of the MB, both with Intel graphics, maybe the lower with single core.

But maybe later Apple would introduce a 13" MBP. There are lots of ways it can be differentiated. Faster HD, better GPU, nicer case, better optical drive, faster CPU, different ports, etc.

Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2006, 03:12 PM

i'm starting to feel like maybe i was wrong all along -- constantly reading mac rumors sites and forums won't have an effect on when Apple releases the small Macbook. thoughts?

Frans  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2006, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Yakov
i'm starting to feel like maybe i was wrong all along -- constantly reading mac rumors sites and forums won't have an effect on when Apple releases the small Macbook. thoughts?
The bad news is: It won't. The good news is: You're not alone in feeling a bit silly about it

Frans  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2006, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by MikeD
I agree with fisherking above. In fact, any macbook pro that can compete with something form factor wise as the vaio tx series would be great IMO. That little computer is really cool!
Used to have one myself, and an S-series after that. Very sleek indeed...

Frans  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2006, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Felix
Always introduce the high-end version first to have the ethusiastic / impatient customers pay the extra premium.
Mmmm, so the MacBook Pro in May and the MacBook in july for the school-season?

I'm not very good in waiting, the money is burning in my pocket....

Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
May 1, 2006, 05:12 AM

man, i'm leaving the US at the end of August, i'd like to get my MB and my (apparently) requisite two replacements before i go...

dazzla
Senior User
May 1, 2006, 05:37 AM

I'm in a similar position, but I miss the August WWDC by a month. I need a notebook before I head out to Australia on 26th July. I hope the Macbook is announced by then otherwise I'll have to get the 15" MBP which is gutting cause you know a Merom will be dumped in it come August.

Frans  (op)
Forum Regular
May 1, 2006, 05:11 PM

Today AppleInsider reports that American Technology Research expects not only double capacity iPod nano's, but also that the 13" MacBook will be out in june or july....

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1710

PJJames
Forum Regular
May 3, 2006, 04:04 AM

Do you guys think they'd keep the 12" Powerbook around in the store if they weren't going to release a 13.3" Macbook Pro? I mean what's the point? Or will they get rid of it as soon as they release the 13.3" Macbook's in a few weeks. Because after the iBook gets converted, it's only the Powermac's to follow.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2006, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by PJJames
Do you guys think they'd keep the 12" Powerbook around in the store if they weren't going to release a 13.3" Macbook Pro? I mean what's the point? Or will they get rid of it as soon as they release the 13.3" Macbook's in a few weeks.
It's likely they will introduce the 13" MB and at the same time remove the 12" PB from the AppleStore. Just like what you saw last week with the 17" PB/MBP.

Actually, does anybody know what current 12" PB inventory looks like?

Frans  (op)
Forum Regular
May 3, 2006, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Simon
It's likely they will introduce the 13" MB and at the same time remove the 12" PB from the AppleStore. Just like what you saw last week with the 17" PB/MBP.

Actually, does anybody know what current 12" PB inventory looks like?
Yep, that would be most likely. The 12" PB still ships in 24 hours, so they have enough left for now.

But it would be great to have someone comment from the retail-sector.

Frans  (op)
Forum Regular
May 3, 2006, 04:21 PM

Today ThinkSecret reports that according to their sources the 13" MacBook will ship in May, and Apple expects it to be a BIG success. So, max four weeks left to go and counting...

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0605briefly.html

kenazo
Forum Regular
May 4, 2006, 11:30 AM

Chalk me up as another "eagerly awaiting MacBook Pro sub-notebook".

I don't want an iBook, I want a pro version and I want it to be thinner and lighter than the current 12" Powerbook. Ever since the first 12" PB's launched I've been waiting for the sub-notebook update to the line and this better be it....

azt33
Dedicated MacNNer
May 4, 2006, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by kenazo
Chalk me up as another "eagerly awaiting MacBook Pro sub-notebook".

I don't want an iBook, I want a pro version and I want it to be thinner and lighter than the current 12" Powerbook. Ever since the first 12" PB's launched I've been waiting for the sub-notebook update to the line and this better be it....
+1, I am also eagerly waiting! Preferrably a MacBook Pro, and not a MacBook. Otherwise I think I'll have to look at the 15" MBP...
MacBook Pro 15.4/ i7 2.2 / 8.0/ 750/ DL SD/ APX
iPhone 4 16GB (black)

kenazo
Forum Regular
May 4, 2006, 01:17 PM

+1, I am also eagerly waiting! Preferrably a MacBook Pro, and not a MacBook. Otherwise I think I'll have to look at the 15" MBP...
My other half has a 15" MBP and other than my envious glances at the thinner! profile than my 12" I wouldn't trade up...it's just too big when you're used to a 12" PB. 13" sub-notebook profile would be the sweet spot...please Steve

danengel
Mac Enthusiast
May 4, 2006, 01:22 PM

And d*mn it if it supports only video mirroring, or if it has no backlit keyboard...

azt33
Dedicated MacNNer
May 4, 2006, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by kenazo
My other half has a 15" MBP and other than my envious glances at the thinner! profile than my 12" I wouldn't trade up...it's just too big when you're used to a 12" PB. 13" sub-notebook profile would be the sweet spot...please Steve
True, that is another factor that I need to take into account. I carry my 12" with me everywhere, every single day to university and to all my meetings. It's as large, if not smaller, than most of my study books, so it's ideal. I just wish it was a bit lighter at times, as it can be pretty painful on the back (I'm not that strong and have a weak back...).

And I would LOVE to have a backlit keyboard!
MacBook Pro 15.4/ i7 2.2 / 8.0/ 750/ DL SD/ APX
iPhone 4 16GB (black)

masugu
Senior User
May 5, 2006, 12:34 AM

Well...I just hope it does not "go thick" Better have core duo - and not just solo

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 5, 2006, 11:00 AM

Frans  (op)
Forum Regular
May 5, 2006, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
WOEHAAAA, now how did you find that one out??? Cool!!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules