Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Windows XP install disc with SP2 on it

Windows XP install disc with SP2 on it
Ruckbox
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2006, 04:33 PM

I have the same problem as many people have with new intel macs trying to run windows XP through bootcamp.

I need a one disc install of windows XP with sp2 on it already.

however, I am incapable of burning a slipstream disc with sp2 on my copy of windows xp with sp1 on it.

does anyone know an alternative way to get my hands on a windows XP disc?
could i maybe get one from microsoft if i email them with my cd key as proof of purchasing windows XP already?

I have a lot of friends who just got new computers for college but they dont seem to have the disc. If people who buy new computers this year with windows xp on them dont have the current disc, WHO DOES?

Is it only in boxes of windows xp that you buy at the store?

Markg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2006, 07:54 PM

Legally, Windows Xp can only be installed onto 1 computer only. You can't borrow a copy and put it on your computer and anyways, you have to activate windows once you install it on the web. (or up to 30 days after you install it)

There is a cheaper alternative than buying a retail version in stores. Newegg sells win xp OEM for $89 and $130 I think for xp pro.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 29, 2006, 08:50 PM

First, why can't you slipstream? nlite works for that configuration without any problem.

Second, all NEW XP discs come in the SP2 configuration. You can get a legal OEM disc from places like NewEgg for not too much cash, and that makes it very legal. Microsoft probably won't replace your XP-SP1 CD because they make it very easy to upgrade an SP1 installation to SP2.

Again, what's the reason you can't slipstream?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Ruckbox  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2006, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
First, why can't you slipstream? nlite works for that configuration without any problem.

Second, all NEW XP discs come in the SP2 configuration. You can get a legal OEM disc from places like NewEgg for not too much cash, and that makes it very legal. Microsoft probably won't replace your XP-SP1 CD because they make it very easy to upgrade an SP1 installation to SP2.

Again, what's the reason you can't slipstream?
because i am extremely scared to try to slipstream it and have it not work.
but after this repsonse i suppose i am going to devote my day tomorrow to slipstreaming a disc that works.
but first before i do it, can i potentially wreck my macbook pro, or not matter what error i make i will always be able to reformat?
Also you guys have been extremely helpful, and i was wondering if anyone could maybe instant messenge me through the process on my other computer?
If so i would be willing to do it at any time of the day any day.

Thanks for all your help,
Ruckbox

DarwinX
Jun 30, 2006, 11:27 AM

This worked the best for me, not that I like to endorse this guy:

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...slipstream.asp

Check the burning instructions at the end to verify you can use either program stated, otherwise the directions are all for not. If you can, these steps work great. Good luck.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2006, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Ruckbox
because i am extremely scared to try to slipstream it and have it not work.
No need to fear. This slipstreaming process will NOT affect your original SP1 disk in any way, whether it works or not. It will, instead, produce an entirely new CD with SP2 built-in, while leaving your SP1 disk unaffected. Remember, though: you still only have one license!

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 30, 2006, 08:40 PM

All slipstreaming does is produce an up-to-date version of an XP installation disc. It combines the files from the SP2 package with the basic (or SP1) XP disc to make a new version that has all the appropriate files to install XP with SP2. Nothing in this process can break your Mac while running OS X. At worst, you'll wind up with an XP installation that doesn't work, and you can just go back and burn a new slipstreamed disc with a different tool and/or options. I ALWAYS use a CD-RW for making a slipstreamed install disc to save on blank discs-not because I've burned coasters in this endeavor, but because I usually wind up tweaking a setting or adding or removing a feature once I see what's actually happening during the instal.

By the way, installing XP on a fast machine is not a horrendous, time intensive process. On my 1500MHz AMD-based desktop it took about 20 minutes total. This is recent experience, as I'm having difficulties with the new SATA drive I've installed in the box, so I've done this a few times in the past week.

Ruckbox  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2006, 03:33 AM

im not worried about ruining my xp disc whatsoever, im worried about my macbook pro locking up because i have a bad instal disc that i insert in it during bootcamp, which is in beta...

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 1, 2006, 09:38 AM

A bad Windows Install disc will only cause Windows not to be installed properly. Boot Camp creates a boot manager that transfers control to the boot process you select, so once you choose XP, there's no contact with OS X. Really, this is at least as safe as crossing the street after looking both ways.

Forum Links
Forum Rules