Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Intel iMac - dock freezes on startup

Intel iMac - dock freezes on startup
Katya
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2006, 11:53 AM

I have an 17" Intel iMac, running 10.4.7. My problem is that when I first start up my Mac, the dock always freezes. When I move my mouse over the icons, they don't magnify and they are just frozen into place (and I have magnify set to about 75% maximum). Also, I noticed that the dashboard widgets also freeze. When I click the mouse button, the widgets appear, but when I click the button again to make the widgets disappear, nothing happens and the widgets are also frozen into place. When I restart the computer, the problem goes away. So now I basically have to start my Mac twice for it to function normally.

Could this be a 10.4.7 issue? Is it advisable to update to 10.4.8?
17" iMac Core Duo, 1.5 GB RAM, 160GB hard drive
6GB iPod mini Silver

Dakar
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2006, 11:56 AM

You're saying they're inaccessible for a few second but later they're ok?

That's just the normal start-up procedure. The computer is busy working in the background (and int he case of the widgets, its has to load them first as well).

The only thing that helps is more RAM and having less items open at start-up.

quiklee
Senior User
Oct 10, 2006, 02:09 PM

if it lasts longer than 5 minutes, i say turn off the imac, unplug it, hold your power button until you hear the chime, plug it in and then restart . . . pRam reset
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 10, 2006, 02:16 PM

Does this problem affect other users on this system, Katya?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2006, 05:26 PM

u could update to 10.4.8, see if that fixes it...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Katya  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2006, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by quiklee
if it lasts longer than 5 minutes, i say turn off the imac, unplug it, hold your power button until you hear the chime, plug it in and then restart . . . pRam reset
Okay, I'll try this one. I don't usually wait 5 minutes. As soon as I notice that the dock icons don't magnify, I immediately restart. Next time, I'll try waiting if it lasts more than 5minutes.

Thanks!

Does this problem affect other users on this system, Katya?
Let me ask my brother, since he's the only other regular user of the computer. If it only happens in my account, what does that mean?
17" iMac Core Duo, 1.5 GB RAM, 160GB hard drive
6GB iPod mini Silver

iMacfan
Senior User
Oct 11, 2006, 03:15 AM

I'd run hardware test, repair permissions and reset the SMU to start with. Like others have said, it may be some impolite backround process, so before you try anything else, load up Activity monitor and see if that sheds any light on the problem.

David
http://www.ppconmac.com - Mac compatability for your PocketPC!

Forum Links
Forum Rules