Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Why can't Americans...

Why can't Americans... (Page 3)
:XI:
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2009, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
One post office outside London. If that's happening outside London, you can be pretty sure that the problem is much worse in London.

Here's a page for a London council.
http://www.haringey.gov.uk/index.htm
Check the languages on the right. Note how English isn't the top one.
The first one "Shqip" is Albanian, kind of makes that list look like it's alphabetical doesn't it?

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 29, 2009, 12:07 PM

^ Also, English has ID #1, while Shqip/Albanian has ID #2, French is #3, etc.

The real question here is why there’s no number four. And even more puzzlingly, why there is a number f**e.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2009, 02:50 PM

If the page is already in English, why is "English" even on the list?

And if it's some coding issue, as the default, shouldn't English be at the bottom?

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Mar 29, 2009, 06:41 PM

I still think that website is part of some newfangled liberal anti white conspiracy.
Either that or its just badly designed.

Gavin
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2009, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
These are both kebabs, one is a shish kebab, one is a döner kebab. Neither of these are british things.
Right, they are both turkish. However we have had shish-kebob, spelled with an o, in the states for decades. The döner kabab as we think of it came from germany, made it's way to the UK and then on through the commonwealth in more recent years.

My point was that linguistically these appeared separately in time, space, and culture. The fact that they are pronounced differently is to be expected.

When you actually listen to this word as spoken by a Turk it sounds like "bob". In both German and Turkish that sound is represented with the a character. In the US we use an o.

The british pronunciation seems to come from interpretation of the written word on signs and not from hearing it said by a native.

So a better question is, why do british people pronounce foreign words incorrectly?

An example: jaguar - it's a spanish spelling of an central american beast. The locals say it "jag-wahr". So why do the british say jag-U-wah? My guess is lingering contempt over the Armada.

Of course we do it too - and a good example is actually the greek version of the same sandwich. The Gyro. People here say "jyro" and then get corrected by a passing pedant who tells them it's actually "yeero".

As we shouldn't really be eating this stuff anyway I'd ask "who gives a rat's *ss", but as doner kebab is actually made from rat's *ss there is no need.
You can take the dude out of So Cal, but you can't take the dude outta the dude, dude!

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2009, 08:08 AM

Yes, but its kebab not kabob.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 30, 2009, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Gavin View Post
When you actually listen to this word as spoken by a Turk it sounds like "bob".
Ehh, no. In Turkish, it’s a very clear [a] sound, just like in German. In British English, it has been euphonically fronted to [æ]. In the US, it’s been euphonically backed to [ɔ]. Turkish in itself doesn’t have [ɔ].

In Arabic, where the word ‘kebab’ (though of course neither ‘shish’ [from Turkish şiş] nor ‘doner’ [from Turkish döner]) comes from, it’s a lot closer to the open o sound in English, as it’s often pronounced as an [ɑ:].

And when you say ‘shish kebab’ (or ‘shish kabob’) in English, it’s not from Turkish, anyways, but from Armenian. The Turkish form is şiş kebap. The Armenians had already borrowed kebāb from some Iranian/Persian dialect, so they already had that word; they just added the Turkish loan word şiş/shish. The Turks borrowed kebap from the Iranian/Persian language, too, but modified it for Turkish phonotactics to kebap.

Gavin
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2009, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
Ehh, no. In Turkish, it’s a very clear [a] sound, just like in German. In British English, it has been euphonically fronted to [æ]. In the US, it’s been euphonically backed to [ɔ]. Turkish in itself doesn’t have [ɔ].
In american english the o in bob is close enough to the a in german (as in Tag) that most americans will not hear a difference, hence the spelling. o in bob sounds like a in father.

I think we agree that american Kebob is closer to the original sound than british kebab. (a as in cat)

Yes, but its kebab not kabob.
depends on where you are from:
http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-..._kabob,FF.html

I could just as easily say it's color not colour.
You can take the dude out of So Cal, but you can't take the dude outta the dude, dude!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2009, 07:19 PM

I think we agree that american Kebob is closer to the original sound than british kebab. (a as in cat)
Doubtful, if you're talking about the British "a as in cat".

The British "cat" is closer to the German/Turkish "a" than the American "cat" is.

Which leaves the second vowel in "kebab" squarely half-way between American "kabob" and British "kebab".

paul w
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2009, 08:05 PM

You f*ckers - now I'm hungry. And it's not easy finding a good doner around here.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2009, 08:15 PM

I could just as easily say it's color not colour.
That's just obviously wrong, you can't make up nonsense words like "color" to justify an argument.

Gavin
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2009, 01:03 AM

ha ha

OK you win

Person Man
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2009, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by paul w View Post
You f*ckers - now I'm hungry. And it's not easy finding a good doner around here.
haha

Forum Links
Forum Rules