Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Trouble with MBP Ram Upgrade

Trouble with MBP Ram Upgrade
Phoible
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2010, 07:24 PM

I have a Mid-2010 13" MBP (2.4ghz), and I'm trying to upgrade it from 4GB to 8GB. I bought a G.Skill 4x2GB upgrade kit, and installed it.

When I booted it up, the system said "The Mac OS needs to restart. Push the power button to restart." When I did that, the waiting indicator would start spinning, but several minutes later it hadn't completed the boot (alternatively, sometimes the waiting indicator would freeze). I tried removing and reseating the memory modules, as well as swapping them, but no dice.

Restoring the original 2GB DIMMs caused the system to boot normally. Strangely, the system would also boot with a 4GB DIMM and a 2GB in either slot. It appears that either 4GB module will work, although I did occasionally get a bad RAM beep, so it is possible that one of the two memory modules is incompatible.

Any suggestions? Does this mean that the memory is bad or incompatible with my Macbook? (I'm guessing that it would be nearly impossible to distinguish between the two) Strangely, a coworker had no problems with the same memory kit in his mid-2009 13" MBP. I guess it's possible that either I got a bad module or that there is a difference in memory compatibility between the models.

Phoible  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2010, 07:45 PM

I think we figured it out. The new RAM is 1333mhz, and the stock RAM is 1067mhz. When I run 6GB, the system runs both chips at 1067, and they work fine (or at least they both boot Mac OS). When I run 8GB, they both run at 1333mhz (we verified this by looking at the system profiler on my coworker's working 8GB system), and one (or both) of the chips fails.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 11, 2010, 06:59 PM

G.Skill

1333Mhz RAM (PC3-10600) will usually have SPD tables for a few lower speeds (1066Mhz, 800Mhz), but when you buy cheap [censored] who knows what you get.

Phoible  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2010, 07:07 PM

The problem is not that the ram can't run at a slower clock speed than rated. The ram seems to run fine (or at least boot) when it's paired with a slower module and forced to clock down, but it doesn't run at the rated speed. I sent it back for warranty replacement.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 13, 2010, 05:31 AM

I have 2x2GB modules running at 1333MHz in my Late '08 Unibody 15". It works pretty much fine. Though Win 7 is flaky as hell and so is webkit.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

kekkosen
Banned
Aug 14, 2010, 01:22 PM

It can run. The thing is when you insert the 2GB module, then it automatically lowers down the clock for both modules and makes them run on 1067 MHz, so what you should do is setup your macbook to boot at 1067 speeds.

P.S. as for me win7 runs flaky even with the original ram, not sure if its just the OS or the memory tho =\

keson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2010, 03:04 PM

Hi,
I am facing the very same problem. I had MBP 13 late 2009 and I got 2x4 GB 1333Mhz RA modules. No problem for 9 months. Now I got a new MBP 13 early 2010 and I wanted to put my 8 GB of RAM in it, but the computer does not boot. I have tested all nvram and pram and smc resets... nothing helped. I figured out the same as you here. There is a problem with the speed, but why? The old model did work fine but the new one does not.
Any chance making the new MBP run with 1333 MHz RAM modules (Transcend)?
Thanks

Forum Links
Forum Rules