Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Windows format compatibility

Windows format compatibility
JeffZPgh
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2001, 01:31 PM

Do the Mac Office 2001 programs have 100% file format compatibility with their Office for Windows counterparts? I'm considering buying Word 2001 and later upgrading to Office 10, but only if that means I can definitely exchange documents with Windows users without any loss of formatting, etc.

In other words, does Word for the Mac do a better job with Word 97/2000 docs than AppleWorks does? AppleWorks can handle simple documents well, but produces some bad results on documents with lots of tables, etc.

Jeff

dtc
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2001, 09:28 PM

The file formats are the same for Office 98, Office 2001, Office 10, Office 2000, Office XP from what I've seen.

Gosh that's a lot of Offices!

Originally posted by JeffZPgh:
<STRONG>Do the Mac Office 2001 programs have 100% file format compatibility with their Office for Windows counterparts? I'm considering buying Word 2001 and later upgrading to Office 10, but only if that means I can definitely exchange documents with Windows users without any loss of formatting, etc.

In other words, does Word for the Mac do a better job with Word 97/2000 docs than AppleWorks does? AppleWorks can handle simple documents well, but produces some bad results on documents with lots of tables, etc.

Jeff</STRONG>

Shades of Gray
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2001, 11:46 PM

I have been exchanging Word and PowerPoint files with Windows users, and have never had a problem. One helpful hint is to make sure that the fonts are cross-platform.
Ignore the argumentative nature of this poster. He is old and can't engage in meaningful dialog
very long. Therefore, management asks that you at least humor him. Thanks.

dtc
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 27, 2001, 03:43 AM

Oh yeah, another great idea is to make sure that your file has the 3 letter extension (.doc, .xls, .ppt)

I always forget. Luckily Entourage does it for me.

Stupid file extensions.... argh.

Originally posted by Shades of Gray:
<STRONG>I have been exchanging Word and PowerPoint files with Windows users, and have never had a problem. One helpful hint is to make sure that the fonts are cross-platform.</STRONG>

Toxi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 30, 2001, 03:53 AM

Maybe a bit off topic, but not a lot - i am considering buying an iMac (will be my first Mac) but am a bit worried about compatibility with MS Office in the windows world and think the price MS asks for the mac office version is a bit in the high side. I noticed that Appleworks comes with a product from Dataviz called Maclink plus that ensures compatibility with Word and Excel.

Do you have experience with this product - if so, does it work both ways and how well does it work?

thanks

Toxi

peterthorn
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2001, 05:03 AM

DATAVIZ: Do you have experience with this product - if so, does it work both ways and how well does it work?
Haven't tried the new version - but it has worked for me in the earlier versions (have only tried it with word and excel files). But, when using it, I think it just converts the actual content - not comments etc.

But, when using Office 2001, I haven't had any problems exchanging files with win-users (as long as they have the extensions)

Peter

dtc
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2001, 06:30 PM

Well there is the Entourage-Word special edition bundle... i think its like $150 or something....

Originally posted by Toxi:
<STRONG>Maybe a bit off topic, but not a lot - i am considering buying an iMac (will be my first Mac) but am a bit worried about compatibility with MS Office in the windows world and think the price MS asks for the mac office version is a bit in the high side. I noticed that Appleworks comes with a product from Dataviz called Maclink plus that ensures compatibility with Word and Excel.

Do you have experience with this product - if so, does it work both ways and how well does it work?

thanks

Toxi</STRONG>

popheader
Sep 3, 2001, 02:45 AM

My wife uses our mac at home to produce powerpoint and tons of word docs. She then uses her pc at work to run her docs. . She has never run into any problems with formatting as long as the fonts cross over. We currently use an acaedemic version of Office 98. I would recommend against Apple works.
If it wasn't for cynicism, I wouldn't have anything good to say at all

Forum Links
Forum Rules