Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 800mhz PB's Anyone use one?

800mhz PB's Anyone use one?
Bill Kinkle
Forum Regular
Oct 17, 2003, 09:33 PM

I am looking at an 800mhz powerbook and I was wondering what everyone thinks of them? Any known issues or problems? Thanks.
Quad G5 1.5 gig 12 inch PB Lots of other stuff.

http://www.billkinkle.com

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2003, 09:38 PM

I had one. . .

It was probably the best Titanium Model in my opinion. Very little fan noise, no heat problems. I heard that on some models that there is still the fakey paint issue with this one. But I didn't experience it.

The 867 is about the same price with a better video card, but the 867 is prone to fan being always on.

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Oct 17, 2003, 10:01 PM

As ae86_16v said, the 800DVI was definitely the best model from the TiBook range - no noise, no heat, and for me no problems (some had paint problems, etc).

I still have my 800DVI, but it sat unused in my spare room since I got my 17" AlBook early this year... until recently.

I've now pulled it out again to do server tests. Still a phenomenal machine, but it looks a bit dated compared to my AlBook

CobraNT
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2003, 12:01 AM

Use mine everyday. I love it, but its my first so I have nothing to compare it to. Paint issues also, but thats all.....

coolmacdude
Senior User
Oct 18, 2003, 12:22 AM

I've had mine one for over a year, and have been extremely pleased with it. The only bad experience I had was getting the ethernet port blown out by lightning, but that was hardly the Powerbook's fault.
2.16 Ghz Core 2 Macbook, 3GB Ram, 120 GB

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2003, 12:43 AM

Outstanding to hear!

Reason being...yep, yet again, I've altered my setup.

I had a WONDERFUL Rev. B 12" PB that ROCKED...but, I landed a digital editing job (I start Monday, I'm SO excited!!!) at my university that obviously requires FCP4, and the 12" screen just wouldn't cut it. Well, I didn't wanna spend cash but needed a bigger screen...my solution? I traded my Rev. B 12" PB for an AWESOME 800Mhz TiBook w/ TONS of accessories & AppleCare until '05 to compensate the price diffs...so I got an even trade, and the greatest thing? Apple just replaced the casing under AppleCare, so it's absolutely perfectly paint-chip free!

It arrived at my dorm today, however I hadta come home for my band's practice this weekend, so I won't get to actually use it 'til Monday...it's even got a brand new IBM 5400RPM 8MB cache HD in it & 1GIG of RAM...I took one glance at it today before rushing out and I'm THRILLED already by the awesome look of the TiBook!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

macwayne
Forum Regular
Oct 18, 2003, 08:00 AM

Hi there Assassyn, I like your style!
You went from a 17" Al, to a 12" Al, and now you have a 15" Ti! That's 3 notebooks in less than one year! ' I wish I had that kind of opportunity, cause I'm a Mac fanatic too. But right now I'm very satisfied right now with a perfect 15" Al which is becoming more and more my primary computer. Good luck with your digital editing job, and hope you enjoy the Ti!'

macndave
Forum Regular
Oct 18, 2003, 08:09 AM

Originally posted by Bill Kinkle:
I am looking at an 800mhz powerbook and I was wondering what everyone thinks of them? Any known issues or problems? Thanks.
I've had an 800mhz DVI since they come out. I absolutely love this Mac(hine). I do have to disagree with some of the comments about fan noise. The second stage fan on my PowerBook is just too loud, even using a CoolPad. Fortunately, it doesn't come on all the time and generally doesn't run for more than a couple of minutes. Still, if it comes on during meetings, when at the library or a quiet coffeeshop, it makes it difficult to use without getting glances (and that is not why I would want people to look over at my PowerBook).

I know this is very subjective. Other than that, I am really quite satisfied with this model. I only thing I would like is an internal SuperDrive.

All and all, I think you will be happy with the 800.

1.5Ghz AlBook G4 + 20" Cinema Display
Cable Modem via Airport Express
iSight Enabled @ dmwilsonh

acadian
Senior User
Oct 18, 2003, 11:26 AM

Had an 800 DVI for a year and a half, sold to get my new 17". It was a great machine no doubt although I did experience the paint issue and the hard drive was many times louder than the 17"'s.
people ruin everything....

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2003, 03:10 PM

Wow AssassyN, that was a great trade. The 800 DVIs are great machines. They run very cool and the first stage fan is very quiet (although as macndave has mentioned, the second stage fan is pretty loud.) Thankfully it only comes on once in a blue moon. Usually when I'm encoding movies in DVD Studio Pro 2 or doing some serious Photoshop. I never had a problem with the hard drive being too loud but I'm using the stock 40gig 4200rpm IBM drive. My biggest complaint with the 800 DVi is the paint chipping but it appears that was taken care of with your notebook.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2003, 05:25 PM

I've been using a TiBook 800 MHz for 15 months. It's a solid machine. Screen is perfect. The paint is finally starting to bubble in some areas where my hands/wrists rest. About 4 months ago It fell off my coffee table and now I can't insert CDs into the drive. Instead of getting the drive fixed, I thought I'd wait until the 15" AlBook was released. I'm disappointed with the new 15" AlBook. They look like the cheep gray Gateway laptops and the speed bump to 1.25 GHz is a joke. The matching gray keyboard looks cheesy and fugly. Instead of getting a new 15" AlBook, I found a last batch of TiBooks 1 GHz and bought one last week for $2000. I think the TiBook is the best looking laptop Apple has made. I'm a big fan of the TiBooks.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2003, 11:17 PM

Yeah Stogieman, I thought it was a terrific trade myself...can't wait to actually start using it Monday!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

PeterKG
Senior User
Oct 18, 2003, 11:34 PM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
Yeah Stogieman, I thought it was a terrific trade myself...can't wait to actually start using it Monday!
Hi AssassyN,

Dude! You crack me up If I miss these forums for a second I might lose sight of your latest change. I'm sure glad you list your hardware in your signature! Awesome trade. Please share your thoughts when you get back and play with it. You know, even though I loved my 12" Rev. A, I am so glad to have my 15" for the screen real estate. I just know any day you will also get a Dual G5 to run FCP faster!

Good luck with your new job too!
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2003, 10:11 AM

Hehe, thanks PeterKG! I think I'll enjoy the TiBook, and I know I'm gonna love this job! Woohoo!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2003, 06:45 PM

Well I'm typing on my 800DVI right now, and I must say...I LOVE IT!

It's so cool (literally...it runs very cool) and it's got a Ti Tile & Tote installed that is absolutely awesome!

I'm installing apps. now...very, very snappy machine, I haven't felt any noticeable lags in speed thus far, and it's ran WarCraft III at full res. w/ all options maxed, so I'm set!

Now, to start my new DV Editing job tomorrow!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2003, 04:52 PM

Well I'm typing on my 800DVI right now, and I must say...I LOVE IT!

It's so cool (literally...it runs very cool) and it's got a Ti Tile & Tote installed that is absolutely awesome!

I'm installing apps. now...very, very snappy machine, I haven't felt any noticeable lags in speed thus far, and it's ran WarCraft III at full res. w/ all options maxed, so I'm set!

Now, to start my new DV Editing job tomorrow!
Glad to hear. The TiBook 800 also runs Ghost Recon quite nicely. Can you believe the TiBook 800 was $3200 when it was released?

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2003, 05:41 PM

Awesome! I really don't plan on using my notebook to push first person shooters...I leave that to my PowerMac, mainly because it's so hard to control your guy w/ a trackpad and cramped keys, so WCIII gives me an easily controllable gaming fix when I need it.

And yep, he TiBook 800 was extremely expensive when it was introduced...and I can understand why, it's still an awesome machine.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2003, 11:17 PM

AssassyN
How does the TiBook 800 compare to the 17" AlBook 1 Ghz that you used to have? How much faster does the 17" AlBook feel?

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2003, 07:46 AM

waxcrash,

The TiBook 800 feels just as fast when doing typical mudane tasks like Word, email, internet browsing, etc...the bulk of tasks I do most. However, in really crunching tasks there's a slight speed difference, but honestly, not that much considering I've got a GIG of RAM. It's barely noticeable, but not much more than that. In raw speed, it's just a tab slower (proc. wise) than my previous Rev. A 12" PB w/ the same FSB, but it's got more RAM to compensate.

Overall, in everyday tasks, the TiBook 800 performs just as well for me as did my 17" PB, however I wouldn't try to play SoF II or Medal of Honor on the outdated Radeon 7500 graphics chip. Aside from that weakness, the speed is definitely satisfactory, and only minorly slower than the Rev. A 17" PB in really demanding situations.

And you're the first post I've responded to on my 19th birthday, which is today, woohoo!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2003, 10:03 AM

And you're the first post I've responded to on my 19th birthday, which is today, woohoo!
Congrats�Happy Birthday!

PeterKG
Senior User
Oct 21, 2003, 10:29 AM

[BAnd you're the first post I've responded to on my 19th birthday, which is today, woohoo! [/B]
Happy Birthday AssassyN!
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2003, 10:58 AM

Thanks everybody!!

Being 19 is pretty cool!

I'm actually at my NEW JOB right now as a Digital Video Editor/Consultant at NC State in my digital media lab...very awesome job I must say! I'm going out this evening w/ my lady so it's looking to be a great birthday indeed!

And another thing, my 3300th post!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2003, 12:00 PM

Thought you guys may enjoy some pics of my workplace

This pic is the actual Final Cut Pro/Audio-Video Lab where I get to spend my time

And this is the outer lab where students and faculty scan photos, make Acrobat docs, etc.

And the photos were taken on the lab's 5MP Nikon digicam...sweeet
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

forcelite
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 21, 2003, 10:17 PM

AssassyN,

You always have had good taste. I have kept up with you since your first post asking about the 17's when they first came out, before you actually owned a Mac. Your current setup is defiantly nice.

I have always liked the TI's myself, though never owned one. I would defiantly get one if for some reason I needed one.

Nothing is better than those big Apple LCD's
Force

coolmacdude
Senior User
Oct 21, 2003, 10:22 PM

Thought you guys may enjoy some pics of my workplace

And the photos were taken on the lab's 5MP Nikon digicam...sweeet
Do you have some funky lighting going on in that lab or does that camera have a horrible blue caste?
2.16 Ghz Core 2 Macbook, 3GB Ram, 120 GB

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2003, 10:50 PM

Yeah man, the florescent lighting really makes pictures difficult...I had no clue how to adjust all the settings & didn't take time to doctor the pics in PhotoShop, thus the blue tint.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2003, 01:47 AM

Overall, in everyday tasks, the TiBook 800 performs just as well for me as did my 17" PB, however I wouldn't try to play SoF II or Medal of Honor on the outdated Radeon 7500 graphics chip. Aside from that weakness, the speed is definitely satisfactory, and only minorly slower than the Rev. A 17" PB in really demanding situations.

Yeah, definitely that's why I upgraded from the 800 to the 17 as well then downgraded back to the 867 and now back up to the Al15 1.25. I just didn't like the video card.

Happy Birthday. . .

Hey what kinda LCDs are those?

pete
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2003, 11:03 AM

I had an 800mhz and it was great! Fast, great LCD, reasonable fan, no chips. Just a great powerbook.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2003, 11:16 AM

Thanks guys! I had a wonderful birthday yesterday!

The LCD's in my digital media lab are a 20" Cinema on the Dual 1.42Ghz machine to the left, and a 23" HD + 17" Studio connected to the Dual 1Ghz QuickSilver.

And boy, with the release of the G4 iBooks today, the value of my previsouly-owned 12" PB just DROPPED! I'm SO glad I made the trade-off last week for this TiBook and a ton of sweet accessories!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

workerbee
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2003, 11:29 AM

One word of warning: when flying long distance with your TiBook 800, shut it down instead of putting it to sleep.

My TiBook 800 has blown its analog sound input/output module while asleep on a 12 hours flight to Kuala Lumpur. I've not heard a beep from it since (except with USB speakers)

Otherwise, very nice machine. Some bubbly and flaky painting as of late, and a badly lined-up hinge, but that's OK with me.

Still, the R2 Godzillabook is looking mighty nice, and with panther now pre-installed...
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2003, 11:48 AM

�And boy, with the release of the G4 iBooks today, the value of my previsouly-owned 12" PB just DROPPED! I'm SO glad I made the trade-off last week for this TiBook and a ton of sweet accessories!
You keep get'n lucky�cool new job�good PowerBook trade�your birthday. What next?

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2003, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by waxcrash:
You keep get'n lucky�cool new job�good PowerBook trade�your birthday. What next?
Heh...all of that pales in considering that my Explorer was broken into and my stereo was raided 4 weeks ago, and the very next weekend someone ran into me in my 2002 Cougar, and the cop faulted me which was a complete lie but our justice system is absolutely terrible in many ways.

But alas, insurance will somehow get paid, my limited edition car *is* getting repaired, I got to live to see 19, and God willing, this weekend my girlfriend & I will celebrate 2 wonderful years together.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

crouchingtiger
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2003, 06:19 AM

hmmm, I just cross-graded from a 12" Powerbook 867 to a TiBook G4/800. The TiBook (which I'm picking up tomorrow) comes with an Airport card, but I'm worried the reception won't be very good. Was this the right move? I think that the screen upgrade should be great and the speed should be a wash, I just hope that I don't have too many of the cosmetic problems with the TiBook.

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2003, 07:06 AM

Originally posted by waxcrash:
Instead of getting a new 15" AlBook, I found a last batch of TiBooks 1 GHz and bought one last week for $2000. I think the TiBook is the best looking laptop Apple has made. I'm a big fan of the TiBooks.
Hi Waxcrash!

Where did you find your new TiBook??? AppleStore?? Which one?

Regards,
PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2003, 08:03 AM

The LCD's in my digital media lab are a 20" Cinema on the Dual 1.42Ghz machine to the left, and a 23" HD + 17" Studio connected to the Dual 1Ghz QuickSilver.
Actually I was referring to the ones inside the Lab, the one w/ the guy in it.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2003, 10:43 AM

Ahhh, gotcha...I got to looking, and they're Dell 19" LCD's (forget the actual model #) but they've only got a 1280x1024 res. The color quality is amazing though...guess they purchased them for Photoshop work.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2003, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by Powerbook:
Hi Waxcrash!

Where did you find your new TiBook??? AppleStore?? Which one?

Regards,
PB.
I got it at ClubMac , but it doesn't look like they have anymore. I would try calling them and see if they might get some more. Also, I went to the Apple Store on Michigan Ave. in Chicago last week, they also had some new TiBooks 1 GHz left for $2000.

Forum Links
Forum Rules