Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 10% Off Any Mac -- Argghhhh!

10% Off Any Mac -- Argghhhh!
elvis2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2003, 12:20 AM

Dropped by the new Apple Store in Cleveland (Lyndhurst) tonight for the big Panther event -- I had just bought my new 15" AlBook a week ago tonight. 10% any Mac -- coulda saved $200!! DAMN!

I guess you make the best decisions you can with the info you have at that moment in time... damn!!!

Any my Panther update is delayed a week! Damn!!

Kelvin
Oct 25, 2003, 01:00 AM

I should've left the wife at home when I went to the Willow Bend, Dallas, Apple Store tonight. There was a long line outside the store. They closed it at 7:30PM then reopened at 8:00PM. It took about 45 minutes to an hour to get in but it was worth it. I got talking to a gentleman in the queue who was a professional video producer and even though he used Premiere on a PC for most of his videos he is moving more to the Mac. I asked him whether a Mac or PC for videos and he recommended the Mac.

I got to play with iMovie and my video camera in the store on a 12" PB 1 ghz connected to a 20 or 23" monitor. The PB only had 256m and it was able to render a 6 minute clip to mpeg4 in about 8 minutes.

10% off all systems. I was tempted to buy but realized I really need a larger hd than the 40g to even do my home video stuff. I guess I'll have to BTO.

I also played around with the new G4 800 iBook. It was slower but not that much but I think I want a Superdrive. All and all it was a neat experience. Maybe I'll win the drawing for a free iMac.

intastella
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2003, 02:51 AM

You know you could have gotten the Powerbook and spent the money saved on an external Firewire drive, which is the better solution anyway.

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2003, 03:00 AM

Hehehe, oh well, we can't ask for everything.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

laserjock
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2003, 03:01 AM

I just got a 15" Al on wed... two days ago!! I feel your pain, bro.

fraeone
Oct 25, 2003, 03:09 AM

Yeah that sucks.. They wouldn't let me combine the 10% w/ the student discount, which is ok, I didn't think they would anyway.

I feel sorry for you guys that just bought new stuff, but now you know whats up for 10.4. I believe they had the discount when Jag came out as well.

Sell your PB before 10.4 comes out and use the $129 you would spend on the new os, towards a new (g5?) powerbook.

macndave
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2003, 07:33 AM

Originally posted by Kelvin:
I should've left the wife at home when I went to the Willow Bend, Dallas, Apple Store tonight. There was a long line outside the store. They closed it at 7:30PM then reopened at 8:00PM. It took about 45 minutes to an hour to get in but it was worth it.
Why "should've [you] left the wife at home when [you] went to the Willow Bend, Dallas, Apple Store?"

Did she not want to wait in line so long? Did she want to purchase a G5 tower instead of a PowerBook?

1.5Ghz AlBook G4 + 20" Cinema Display
Cable Modem via Airport Express
iSight Enabled @ dmwilsonh

striker100
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2003, 08:33 AM

Anyone know if that 10% discount is still in effect today?
I'd pick up a Powerbook, I didn't even know about this 10% discount last night.

I wonder if I could get it today.

Kelvin
Oct 25, 2003, 09:06 AM

Originally posted by intastella:
You know you could have gotten the Powerbook and spent the money saved on an external Firewire drive, which is the better solution anyway.
I actually started thinking about the same thing this morning before booting up the PC (I don't have a Mac yet). With 10% off it would come to about $1753 with tax. I then figured the same but BTO with the 80gig HD and it ended up being about $2078 with tax, a $325 difference which would have paid for a larger and faster external FW hd. Well, there is always the online retailers, MacMall, Macconnection, Small Dog, PowerMax and some of them usually offer some memory or airport card incentives and I still save on the sales tax.

I'll have to go back to the Apple store and see if they have an external FW harddrive on any of their demo machines. I guess you plug your DV camcorder into a FW port on the harddrive that is connected to the PB and capture directly to the external HD?

elvis2000  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2003, 10:40 AM

Originally posted by striker100:
Anyone know if that 10% discount is still in effect today?
I'd pick up a Powerbook, I didn't even know about this 10% discount last night.

I wonder if I could get it today.
Nah - it was just for the big event.

Ugg - had I mail ordered I wouldn't feel so sick about it -- but I bought locally paying tax. Oh well, next time I'll wait to buy at the big OS launch.

10%! F--kers!

spatterson
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2003, 10:52 AM

Originally posted by fraeone:
Yeah that sucks.. They wouldn't let me combine the 10% w/ the student discount, which is ok, I didn't think they would anyway.
I was just going to ask about that. Thats a shame but is business!

swiz
GUI Punk
Oct 25, 2003, 11:05 AM

Well I can see where you would be upset for sure. I on the other hand went to the Panther event last night intending to just buy Panther but low and behold the wife says "if you want the Powerbook lets get it" I was like woohoo, 10% off, cant beat it. Talk about an unexpected great visit to the Apple Store .

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

elvis2000  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2003, 01:52 PM

Originally posted by swiz:
Well I can see where you would be upset for sure. I on the other hand went to the Panther event last night intending to just buy Panther but low and behold the wife says "if you want the Powerbook lets get it" I was like woohoo, 10% off, cant beat it. Talk about an unexpected great visit to the Apple Store .
And I imagine that's the idea -- pull in all the curious and fence-sitters, pump them full of the spirit and then give them an offer they can't refuse.

:dragonflypro:
Senior User
Oct 25, 2003, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by swiz:
Congrats! And let it be a sign of the rest of your marriage.

My wife is the same way...and it is bliss!

T

swiz
GUI Punk
Oct 25, 2003, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by :dragonflypro::
Congrats! And let it be a sign of the rest of your marriage.

My wife is the same way...and it is bliss!

T
Yeah, Im lovin the married life. We've been together 8 years, got married Sept 27th this year.

Im sure Apple will get the G5 PB out the door in a couple months but such is life in the computer industry. Im stoked

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2003, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by Kelvin:
...I went to the Willow Bend, Dallas, Apple Store tonight...All and all it was a neat experience. Maybe I'll win the drawing for a free iMac.
I was there last night too! Hey I hope it's me who wins it because I just sold my PowerBook! Besides, you have a loving wife, I'm single so I need all the "comforts" I can get.

Forum Links
Forum Rules