Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Faxing Via Bluetooth Cell Phone

Faxing Via Bluetooth Cell Phone
elysian
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2003, 07:23 PM

Hi,

I have a T68i and a 12" Powerbook and I am able to connect to the internet through my phone using bluetooth.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to send a fax through a bluetooth enabled phone.

Thanks!

higuy83
Forum Regular
Oct 11, 2003, 08:30 PM

I'm not sure how to do it through 10.2.x, but in a couple of weeks when Panther is released it is supposed to be a new, standard feature.

"Print any Mac OS X document as a fax through built-in fax modem or Bluetooth cell phone."

Panther New Features Page

Hope that helps a little,

Brian
15" MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz/320GB/2GB RAM
iPod classic (160 GB)
iPod nano (4 GB)
iPod shuffle (1 GB)

elysian  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2003, 10:36 PM

Yeah, I know Panther's going to be able to do it. Guess I'll have to wait till Oct. 24.

wanderlust
Forum Regular
Oct 12, 2003, 02:03 PM

Originally posted by elysian:
Hi,

I have a T68i and a 12" Powerbook and I am able to connect to the internet through my phone using bluetooth.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to send a fax through a bluetooth enabled phone.

Thanks!
I researched this for several months (with my T68i) and came to the conclusion that it was not possible. The send and receive tones simply aren't understood during the connection process. This information came (with mumbles of "uh, not sure, ask the other guys") from all corners, software and hardware. We'll see what happens with Panther!

darrick
Forum Regular
Nov 7, 2003, 07:08 AM

bump

has anyone with panther got this working?

shrink
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2004, 11:51 PM

bump....now that Panther is released. I tried doing this today using a t68i (T-Mobile service if it matters) and 1ghz 17"PB with an MS Word document.

Using the fax option under the print menu in Word, I selected the "Bluetooth Modem." When I press "fax," the number starts to dial momentarily on the t68i, then stops. The software program then changes the fax status from "faxing" to "hold." The fax never ends up going through. However, I can connect to the internet using bluetooth via the cell phone without issue.

Any ideas on what could be wrong? It appears as if either the fax modem script is incorrect or that the phone cannot accept the fax data. Does anybody have this working? Any suggestions?

nica
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 3, 2004, 10:37 AM

I found some information about the subject:

MacDevcenter
O'Reilly
VersionTracker Cocoa eFax

This should give you more information. It looks like it's possible to fax using the bluetooth phone.

macndave
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2004, 09:08 PM

Originally posted by shrink:
bump....now that Panther is released. I tried doing this today using a t68i (T-Mobile service if it matters) and 1ghz 17"PB with an MS Word document.

Using the fax option under the print menu in Word, I selected the "Bluetooth Modem." When I press "fax," the number starts to dial momentarily on the t68i, then stops. The software program then changes the fax status from "faxing" to "hold." The fax never ends up going through. However, I can connect to the internet using bluetooth via the cell phone without issue.

Any ideas on what could be wrong? It appears as if either the fax modem script is incorrect or that the phone cannot accept the fax data. Does anybody have this working? Any suggestions?
Has anyone gotten fax to work using a bluetooh phone and Panther? I tried when I had a T68i and now with a t616 (which replaced the t68i). I still can't get the system to send faxes. I get the same response as the person above. I've tried setting up the bluetooh phone (as) modem as serial 1 and serial 2.

What am I missing? If you've got this to work, please post a very straightforward step-by-step. I have been able to use the phone to connect to the internet using GRPS, though.

Thanks

1.5Ghz AlBook G4 + 20" Cinema Display
Cable Modem via Airport Express
iSight Enabled @ dmwilsonh

Forum Links
Forum Rules