Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 10.3.4 update

10.3.4 update
iomatic
Mac Elite
May 26, 2004, 08:15 PM

I'm updating my 12" 1.33 GHz now... are there any issues?

More info.

Report here.

( Last edited by iomatic; May 26, 2004 at 09:33 PM. )

Stradlater
Professional Poster
May 26, 2004, 08:38 PM

Does it fix 1GB+ RAM issues with wireless connections?
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
May 26, 2004, 09:30 PM

Wow; updated ATI and nVidia drivers. Guess I'll update now.

rsgunther
May 26, 2004, 10:04 PM

I applied the update, everything seems fine on my end. PB G4 1.25GHZ w/ superdrive. When I log out to switch users it seems a bit faster, but I haven't noticed any other changes at this point.

macndave
Forum Regular
May 26, 2004, 11:51 PM

Originally posted by rsgunther:
I applied the update, everything seems fine on my end. PB G4 1.25GHZ w/ superdrive. When I log out to switch users it seems a bit faster, but I haven't noticed any other changes at this point.
800 DVI with 1GB RAM TiBook: I've lost access to USB devices and switching between applications is slower. Also, the dreaded beach ball is back. Everything seems slower. I will try repairing permissions. Concerning the USB issue, I did try unplugging and re-plugging the devices, as well as restarting.

1.5Ghz AlBook G4 + 20" Cinema Display
Cable Modem via Airport Express
iSight Enabled @ dmwilsonh

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
May 27, 2004, 06:17 AM

Both my USB ports are fine on my 17" Rev "A". No problems so far. An xbench exam is in order.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
May 27, 2004, 06:41 AM

Can someone with 10.3.4 report on fan issues (specifically on the 12" if possible)? I skipped 10.3.3 b/c of increased fan usage/noise reported here after that update.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

kaboom
Forum Regular
May 27, 2004, 08:26 AM

I applied the update last night and it significantly reduced my Airport reception. I had to do a reinstall to get it back to previous strength.
15" 1.5 ghz Powerbook (512 RAM)

Doesn't look like an update that I NEED so I'll be staying away from this one.

SplijinX
Dedicated MacNNer
May 27, 2004, 08:40 AM

I have a 12" rev A and didn't notice a change in fan noise. I have always kept up with the updates and have not had any problems. Usually the fan starts blaring if I used it for an extended amount of time on my lap, or if it is doing something processor intensive and maintains a high cpu load for more than a minute.

Otherwise if it's just sitting on a table doing light tasks it stays fairly cool without the fan.
Are those free-ranged animal crackers?

MRTrauffer
Dedicated MacNNer
May 27, 2004, 09:17 AM

I just installed the update on my 15" 1.5GHz. So far no problems.
I gotta have more cowbell.

Mel Dada
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 27, 2004, 09:38 AM

no problems here on a new 12" 1.33ghz 80 gig drive. One thing i noticed was that it seemed to startup much faster. I'm hoping this version will fix video capture problems in Final Cut.

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
May 27, 2004, 04:00 PM

1.33 12in Powerbook. Everything appears ok system wise, but HALO has significantly slowed down due to the update.

tekno_geek911
Mac Enthusiast
May 27, 2004, 04:14 PM

The update made games allot slower for me...Unreal 2004 doesnt run nearly as smooth...And it made my friends 15" iMac screen go crazy,whenever he starts a game the display has green lines running up/down it,the only way he can fix it is by rebooting.
::12" PowerBook G4 | 1.33GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | APX | OS X 10.4.1::
::30GB iPod Photo::

Todd Corzett
Forum Regular
May 27, 2004, 05:47 PM

No problems with my 800DVI with 1GB RAM. I don't know about speed issues... as I've not really challenged my CPU lately.

-Todd...

Frumpy
Mac Enthusiast
May 27, 2004, 06:24 PM

Haven't tried any games yet, but system wise everything is good. Specs are listed below...
Specs:12" PowerBook-1.33GHz, 768 PC2700, Airport Express, Panther (10.3.9), iSight, 15GB 3G iPod

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2004, 10:04 PM

Rev. C 12" PowerBook... no problems here, though I've never played any games on this machine. No change in fan behavior - in fact, I don't think I've ever heard the fan come on since day 1.

macndave
Forum Regular
May 27, 2004, 11:46 PM

Originally posted by macndave:
800 DVI with 1GB RAM TiBook: I've lost access to USB devices and switching between applications is slower. Also, the dreaded beach ball is back. Everything seems slower. I will try repairing permissions. Concerning the USB issue, I did try unplugging and re-plugging the devices, as well as restarting.
USB Problem Solved...and I had tried everything (unplugging and re-plugging, restarts, repairing permissions, even reinstalling the update).

It turns out that the powered USB hub wasn't fully plugged in, so the ports weren't all powered. I didn't think about that as the USB hub is on a small shelf under my desk.

All is good and performance is back to what it was before.

1.5Ghz AlBook G4 + 20" Cinema Display
Cable Modem via Airport Express
iSight Enabled @ dmwilsonh

Thorts
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 28, 2004, 01:07 AM

1.0 Gig superdrive TiBook here..I have had no problems, and the whole system (after repairing permissions) is slightly faster all around..

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
May 28, 2004, 01:30 AM

Yeah, after a day of using it on my 1.33 12in, games are noticeably slower. HALO, UT 2004 demo, WC3. All slower. This really sucks, but not like I play many games.

(HALO has now become unplayable slow in some areas. I would know after playing it all day at work.)

JKT
Professional Poster
May 28, 2004, 05:34 AM

Considering the update included additions to OpenGL that "Improves OpenGL by adding support for OpenGL Vertex Buffer and Replaceable OpenGL entry points." could it simply be that the added effects need to be switched back off in your game option settings to improve game fps again?

FWIW, I've had no problems since installing the update (and indeed it did solve many of the bugs it described as solving), but I'm yet to try playing any games with it...

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
May 28, 2004, 10:38 AM

I'm running HALO at 800 x 600 with everything turned to low of off, and its become unplayable. Whereas before I had everything on medium and it run better. Sigh....

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
May 28, 2004, 03:54 PM

From today's xlr8yourmac:

"Reader Tips on UT2004 and Halo Performance with 10.3.4 - Follow-up mails from readers on poor performance in UT2004 and Halo under 10.3.4 included tips that -may- help others.
One of the UT2004 (full version/updated) users that reported a huge drop in performance after updating to 10.3.4 said trashing the INI file helped.
A Halo user that reported a big slowdown in 10.3.4 said setting FPS to "VSYNC" helped:

" Everything in Halo under video settings is set to the max. Now, I fixed it tonight. I had the FPS setting set at 30 FPS. I changed this setting to VSYNC. Now Halo is as smooth as silk, and I must say, even better than before 10.3.4.
Again, this is on a 2x2Ghz, 2GB RAM, ATi 9600 and a 20" ACD.
-dale "

He previously wrote he was seeing a 10-15% drop in frame rate in Halo after updating to 10.3.4.
These tips may not help everyone but posting as a FYI. (The 10.3.4 feedback page has been updated with more OpenGL/Game reports and 10.3.3 vs 10.3.4 tests in UT.)
"

TheMosco
Mac Elite
May 28, 2004, 04:38 PM

Originally posted by JKT:
Considering the update included additions to OpenGL that "Improves OpenGL by adding support for OpenGL Vertex Buffer and Replaceable OpenGL entry points." could it simply be that the added effects need to be switched back off in your game option settings to improve game fps again?

FWIW, I've had no problems since installing the update (and indeed it did solve many of the bugs it described as solving), but I'm yet to try playing any games with it...
The updated opengl doesn't help with current games, but rather games that are in development. When game developers wanted to use vertex buffers, they had to use a different api on the mac and they had to spend all that time converting it from the pc vertex buffers to the mac vertex array ranges. So it will make future games easier to develop but speed gains remain to be seen. If I understand it correctly, not all games have VAR on the mac or its not totally implemented, so with pc ports that already have VBO, that will mean faster mac games without the mac developers having to right WAR or shipping a game without it. And it also means that games written with VBO, would require 10.3.4 to run, which would leave everyone with 10.2 out in the dark which would't be too helpful. You will probably have to wait until later before developers actually get to use this.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2004, 05:34 PM

My PowerBook seems a lot more unstable since the upgrade.

TheMosco
Mac Elite
May 28, 2004, 05:57 PM

Originally posted by Superchicken:
My PowerBook seems a lot more unstable since the upgrade.
no problems here.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
May 28, 2004, 06:09 PM

That fix saved HALO for me. Thanks a bunch.

himself
Mac Elite
May 28, 2004, 07:22 PM

667 TiPoBo. Not a single problem (used the combo updater). Everything appears to run a little smoother now.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

curmi
Senior User
May 28, 2004, 11:09 PM

Powerbook 15", 128MB VRAM.

VLC before the update took 20% CPU watching MPEG-2 movies. Uses OpenGL I believe.

After the update it takes 60% CPU.

That is not good. Looks like the new ATI drivers are pretty poor.

Or do they still have the debug code in them?

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2004, 12:28 AM

Yeah I just bought the game Return of the King and it was playing fine until this update. Now it's almost unplayable.

I had been having fan problems on my Ti800 though, and they're fixed. No other noticeable problems. I'm going to try re-installing that game to see if that helps.

[edit] It didn't.
( Last edited by BRussell; May 29, 2004 at 02:55 PM. )

d.fine
Mac Elite
May 29, 2004, 03:06 AM

No problems here on Alu PB , update from 10.3.3 to 10.3.4
I notice no changes in anything ...

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
May 29, 2004, 12:00 PM

Rev B 12" pb 768mb Ram. 10.3.4 Update is solid as a rock here. And it seems a little faster in some respects. HOWEVER.. UT2003 & UT2004 have been absolutely crippled to the point of being pretty much unplayable. I've deleted the .ini files for each game, and lowered numerous settings, and it's still awful
MOH performance seemed unchanged, and maybe even slightly better.. Weird..
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2004, 08:48 AM

My video performance (new 15" AluBook) also seems to have been crippled. glxgears has gone from 4700 fps to 3000...
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

Forum Links
Forum Rules