Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Need to turn G4 tower into wireless server/video doorbell

Need to turn G4 tower into wireless server/video doorbell
Gern
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2005, 10:23 AM

I picked up an old G4 Tower 400mhz for free (The first G4 with the handles). I wanted to use it to run some X10 software, Indego, for the house, will need RAM, over 256m?

I also wanted to put some sort of video capture card in it to take short video of people coming up the driveway. BTVPro Anyone know of any cheap pci video capture cards?

My real problem is that I would like to network this thing with the rest of the computers in the house. I have a wireless/wired router connected to a cable modem, but no where near the location for this G4. I need to add an old airport card, but the cheapest I can find is $160! here which seems a little steep for such an old product.

Any guidance here? (Except for spelling)

Where might I find, cheap ram, video capture cards, and old airport cards?

Gern
( Last edited by Gern; Jan 30, 2005 at 10:41 AM. )

zwiebel_
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 30, 2005, 10:51 AM

Smalldog.com has a sale right now on the Airport card for $119.

For RAM look into ramseeker.com or dealram.com.

Capture card is realy not needed if you go with SecuritySpy and a (from SecritySpy) recomended camera (I have the Toshiba IK-WB01A Wireless Network Digital Video Camera) which works like a charm with SS, but have never gotten it to work through a Mac compatible web browser, even though it says you can.

Good luck.

Gern  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2005, 11:15 AM

Originally posted by zwiebel_:
Smalldog.com has a sale right now on the Airport card for $119.

For RAM look into ramseeker.com or dealram.com.

Capture card is realy not needed if you go with SecuritySpy and a (from SecritySpy) recomended camera (I have the Toshiba IK-WB01A Wireless Network Digital Video Camera) which works like a charm with SS, but have never gotten it to work through a Mac compatible web browser, even though it says you can.

Good luck.
I already have several cameras kicking around the house, I just need a cheap card to attach it to the mac. I thought the capture cards used to go for less than $100?

Here's the video doorbell scheme... I already have a driveway alert to tell us when someone comes up the drive. It sends out an x10 signal which triggers alerts in the house, and turns on a camera that is plugged into a very old powermac 7600/132 (with video inputs built in) that records some video. (I have BTV running in motion detect mode, but theres nothing to detect until power is sent to the camera)

I want to replace the 7600 with the G4. The G4 would also be able to handle the x10 software.

I'll check out dealram and smalldog. Thanks!

Gern

Detrius
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2005, 12:40 PM

The trick with the old Airport cards is that Apple doesn't sell them as a retail package anymore. The only place you can actually get an unlimited supply now is from an Apple Authorized Service Provider. If they are smart, they order the 5-pack and keep them in stock. We sell the cards for $89.97. This is no box, no CD, 90-day warranty.

We're just a local repair shop and don't ship these things places. Check with your local AASP. If they say they can't get you a price less than $100, tell them about GSX part number 652-0763. Note that this is the US part number for the 5-pack.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

macndave
Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2005, 09:22 PM

Originally posted by Gern:
I picked up an old G4 Tower 400mhz for free (The first G4 with the handles)...My real problem is that I would like to network this thing with the rest of the computers in the house. I have a wireless/wired router connected to a cable modem, but no where near the location for this G4. I need to add an old airport card, but the cheapest I can find is $160! here which seems a little steep for such an old product.

Any guidance here? (Except for spelling)

Gern
Have you considered either a USB wireless or a PCI wireless network adapter. I have used both successfully in a G4 350 mhz (which doesn't have an Airport card cage). Each was less than $40 at CompUSA and Best Buy, and worked out of the box with Mac OS 10.3. I am using the PCI version now as the USB adapter is now attached to a Tivo box.

Just thought I would throw out an alternative to the Airport card.

1.5Ghz AlBook G4 + 20" Cinema Display
Cable Modem via Airport Express
iSight Enabled @ dmwilsonh

Gern  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2005, 10:25 PM

Originally posted by macndave:
Have you considered either a USB wireless or a PCI wireless network adapter. I have used both successfully in a G4 350 mhz (which doesn't have an Airport card cage). Each was less than $40 at CompUSA and Best Buy, and worked out of the box with Mac OS 10.3. I am using the PCI version now as the USB adapter is now attached to a Tivo box.

Just thought I would throw out an alternative to the Airport card.
Great idea!!! Know which are apple friendly? (Which are you using?)

Just when I was starting to think it was a lost cause!

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 30, 2005, 10:31 PM

Exactly my thoughts - a pci wireless card-

L
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

Chito
Senior User
Jan 31, 2005, 03:05 PM

Look at LA Computer Company for a new airport card for $71.00. Here's the link
http://www.lacomputercompany.com/cgi...&itemsku=10061
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

macndave
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2005, 08:49 AM

Originally posted by Gern:
Great idea!!! Know which are apple friendly? (Which are you using?)

Just when I was starting to think it was a lost cause!

Gern,
Sorry, I've been off the boards for a few days. The PCI version that I am using is the Linksys "2.4GHz 54Mbps Wireless-G PCI Adapter" Model WMP54G.

The US adapter is also a 54Mbps Linksys product, Model WUSB54G.

Again, both worked out of the box and didn't require the installation of drivers or other software (I was using Panther (10.3.x) when I purchased both versions.

I don't know alot about Linksys products, I purchased each because they were cheap (~$40). Of course, now each is in my weekly Best Buy or CompUSA flyer for half that price. I've not had any problems to date with either <knock on wood/>.

1.5Ghz AlBook G4 + 20" Cinema Display
Cable Modem via Airport Express
iSight Enabled @ dmwilsonh

Detrius
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2005, 02:06 PM

Originally posted by Chito:
Look at LA Computer Company for a new airport card for $71.00. Here's the link
http://www.lacomputercompany.com/cgi...&itemsku=10061
That's an Apple Service part, the same as what we have. It's also listed as $84, not $71.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Forum Links
Forum Rules