Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Silverlight

Silverlight
starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 16, 2010, 09:33 PM

Anyone use this? Is it necessary? Ok, I hear you need it for Netflix streaming (which I don't use), but other than that, is there any important reason for installing this technology?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2010, 09:39 PM

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 16, 2010, 09:50 PM

A three year old thread and a snarky answer. Why the f--- do I bother here anymore?

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2010, 10:10 PM

Well, if you haven't come across a need for it, then why bother installing it? Install it when you need it. It's only a matter of seconds to download and install.

I have it for Netflix. Don't recall coming across anything else that needed it.

Btw, if you've installed Flip4Mac recently, you probably already have it unless you customized the install.
Vandelay Industries

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2010, 10:28 PM

Well the thread I linked to does answer all of your questions, so...

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 16, 2010, 10:34 PM

I asked if anyone here used this. A Google search will not answer that question.
I asked if it's necessary. Again, a Google search will not answer that question since people HERE have to tell me that.

Next time I'll use smaller words or something so that you understand.

Well the thread I linked to does answer all of your questions, so...
It's three years old. It doesn't answer jack shit.

Cold Warrior
Mar 16, 2010, 11:42 PM

It's never been necessary for any of my web habits but then again I also try hard to avoid Flash and Flash-like web media. I can't think of any site that matters using Silverlight for exclusive, core site functionality.

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2010, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
It's never been necessary for any of my web habits but then again I also try hard to avoid Flash and Flash-like web media. I can't think of any site that matters using Silverlight for exclusive, core site functionality.
Netflix streaming requires it. The Olympics live streaming required it. I didn't use either of them, but lately I've been seeing sites that require it more and more, and now one of my favorite apps is ditching AIR for Silverlight.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2010, 12:35 AM

Looked into it for a project about 18 months ago. Looks like Microsoft's functional equivalent of Flash+1 for RIAs.

IMHO, Flash was born out of necessity a long time ago(decade?). Today, most if not all presentation requirements can be managed with soon-to-be-standard HTML5. And so silverlight seems very late to the party. Maybe that's why M$ is trying to salvage it and have chosen it as the primary API for WM7 apps(very bad move imho).

So far i havent come across a need for it. But i dont see any problem with having it if u do need it (ie there havent been any major problems reported that i am aware of). However.... being a proprietary MS product that deals with communication over the web, security would be my primary concern.

FWIW.. i will not be installing it.

Cheers

Salty
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2010, 01:44 AM

I've got it installed, I think MSN video uses it, and since the Guild is sponsored by M$ I need it to watch the new episodes when they come out. Other than that, no big reason. And yah it's funny both Microsoft and Apple are gunning for Flash in different ways, Microsoft says he's a competitor that we make, Apple says, uhh you don't need that.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2010, 01:49 AM

Microsoft signed exclusivity deals with Netflix and Olympics, but very few websites require it to make the full use of the website.

I'd wager that Netflix will make some sort of announcement about moving away from Silverlight by the end of the year.

Ironically, Internet Explorer 9 and Windows 8 will help kill Silverlight as a web platform.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2010, 07:18 AM

Yeah and apparently M$ is trying to get behind web standards(HTML5) (finally) with the next IE9, so that takes away another incentive for developers to invest in SilverLight.

I hope they include support for WebGL, but doubt they will...but thats a whole other thread.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2010, 09:21 AM

I have Flash installed, and Flip4Mac only. Haven't noticed a need to expand beyond this.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2010, 10:21 AM

The only reason I have it is for Netflix streaming. If they were to move away from Silverlight I'd uninstall it immediately.

I go to Microsoft's website now and then for work and they use it for some animation, and stuff like that, on their site.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2010, 11:21 AM

For all its faults, at least I can usually count on Flash working. Even on supported platforms Sliverlight is a real hit and miss.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 17, 2010, 12:48 PM

I've noticed higher quality Netflix streaming and an overall better experience with my 360 over my iMac w/Silverlight.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2010, 12:50 PM

Computers are not permitted to receive the higher quality streams due to the content licensing.
Vandelay Industries

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2010, 02:39 PM

The only time I'm forced to use SilverLight is during the NCAA Basketball Tournament. The CBS website requires it for live streaming of all the games.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2010, 02:56 PM

RAI television Internet streaming requires it.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 17, 2010, 03:24 PM

Yet another in a line of reasons for avoiding all RAI channels like the plague (others include worse-than-FOX news coverage and atrocious programmes).

Forum Links
Forum Rules