Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > What makes the "trackpad" so great?

What makes the "trackpad" so great?
crimson_joel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2005, 12:53 AM

I just got a new iBook and I was wondering why the "trackpad" technology is so great? Thanks.
( Last edited by crimson_joel; Sep 27, 2005 at 01:05 AM. )

Randman
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2005, 03:35 AM

Because it is. Give it some time.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 27, 2005, 09:33 AM

Well, just like Randman said... "Because it is"

Personally, I like it because its just like putting your finger on the screen and moving it around and having what you want happen, happen. its a space saver compared to a regular mouse. And the little nipple that's on the IBM thinkpads, well, unless there's feedback from touching the nipple, there's no point in the nipple.

It takes a bit of getting used to, but once it is up and running its a great replacement, or compliment to a "regular" mouse.
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

gametime10
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 27, 2005, 11:20 AM

I don't like it because it doesn't let you use iScroll2 which actually has more features. The pre-2005 iBooks and Powerbooks are actually at an advantage.

sminch
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 29, 2005, 06:12 AM

ah, the thinkpad nipple. if there's one thing i miss with my ibook...

sminch

Dork.
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2005, 07:27 AM

I can't stand the IBM-style nipple. I'm always overshooting stuff when I have to use it.

I actually prefer trackpads and trackballs over a mouse. Especially when playing Starcraft! (Or Aperion...) I think there's something about being able to leave your wrist in place and just move your hand and finger around that is more comfortable for me. Sometimes, I even do the two-finger shortcut to get to the other side of the screen!

Also, the very first thing I do whenever I get a new laptop is disable the tap-to-click feature. For some reason, whenever I use a trackpad, I always trigger false taps when that feature is on.

broxy5
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2005, 11:09 AM

I have an old IBM mouse with a nipple on it. It's not as full-featured as the ones on the thinkpad, but I used it all the time. The only prblemI had with it was it would make my fingertip itchy for hours.

Haven't tried the new ibooks long enough to love it/hate it, but I must commend Apple for giving us as much trackpad real estate as they do. I was using a new Toshiba Satellite yesterday, which has scrolling similair to Sidetrack, but with the tiny pad....it drove me crazy!

Forum Links
Forum Rules