Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook G4 or Macbook? Here are the details, please help me decide!

iBook G4 or Macbook? Here are the details, please help me decide!
crimson_joel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2006, 06:30 PM

Hi,

I'm a student who's had an 12" iBook for about a year - it is the last version before being discontinued and has been upgraded to 80GB HD, has MS Office and more than 2 years left of Applecare.

I really wanted a Macbook when it came out, it has isight, ilife 06' remote control, runs windows, bigger screen and has a faster processer that I hope to use for garageband and idvd which were super-slow on the iBook.

I have offers of 750-1000 on my ibook and will just sell the nano that I get with my macbook so I am basically not paying anything to upgrade to the macbook.

My question is that: Is this worth it? I'm not sure how people are liking the macbooks. Should I take a leap and get the macbook or just settle with the ibook I have?

Thanks! Any comments are much appreciated.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2006, 06:40 PM

Yes, get the MacBook. It blows the iBook away in terms of... well, everything.

the macimum
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 6, 2006, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
It blows the iBook away in terms of... well, everything.
Yeah, even in crashing and bad raps. But even I would go for it.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2006, 07:07 PM

I think it depends on what you're going to be using it for (as always). If it's serving you fine right now, don't get the upgrade itch. Something newer and better is always coming in a few months. I know it seems like you're not losing anything (and you may not be), but for me, having a new MacBook would do nothing to help my grades and would probably actually create a distraction.

I have a 12" iBook 1.2 which I recently upgraded to Tiger, iLife '06, and a 5400rpm 80gb hard drive for $200 for the new school year. It's an extremely bug-free and mature computer. I wouldn't upgrade until you sit and think and decide you need to. It's hard not to be an "emotional buyer" with Apple products, but I think you'll benefit more by waiting 2 years until your AppleCare runs out.

And even though your iBook may depreciate horribly by the time AppleCare runs out, 2 years is plenty of time to do a few nifty jobs here and there and save up for even a MacBook Pro. It never hurts to have an incentive to work and make money.

the macimum
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 6, 2006, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by jamil5454
I wouldn't upgrade until you sit and think and decide you need to.
Trudat, sometimes updating can be a biotch and mess with you, and it gets really annoying!

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2006, 09:47 PM

I also have a G4 iBook that is approximately 1 1/2 years new. I am waiting until Rev. B and see if the problems associated with the initial MacBook are addressed by Apple. If not, I will continue to happily use my problem-free iBook until Apple gets it right.

rcl1221
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2006, 11:48 PM

I've always been taught to not buy something in the first year of production, mostly relating to cars but I like to extend this to all of my purchases.

I too am waiting for the revison of the MacBook/MB Pro to purchase one. I think by then, most of the kinks will be worked out, and it will be a more established platform.

longwood
Aug 7, 2006, 11:42 AM

i too was contemplating the same decision. i really want a macbook; the ability of the webcam, faster processor, new color, etc. but with any Rev. A there are problems that need to be worked out. I think I'm going to run my current iBook into the ground and then see whats out there at the time. My Dad taught me a good lesson (depending on how you look at it), why spend money on something that is working. I tried applying it to the iBook/Macbook situation. My iBook works absolutely fine, no problems what so ever.
iPhone 4: [32GB]
iPad 2: [16GB | WiFi]
MacBook: [13" | 2.4Ghz | 4GB | 500GB]

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2006, 02:52 PM

Exactly. I discover that when I spend hours hyping myself up over new Apple products and whatnot (even though I'm not a prosumer) I realize I have too much time on my hands. So then I try to do something constructive, and it helps to take away that itching need to have a MacBook

Forum Links
Forum Rules