Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > How best to downgrade iOS 4 --> iPhone OS 3.x?

How best to downgrade iOS 4 --> iPhone OS 3.x?
Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2010, 10:11 AM

I have an iPhone 3G, and iOS 4 is a big frustration for me, at least in its current iteration.

1. When listening to the iPod, if I try to surf, the music skips.
2. There are serious delays in responsiveness. In fact, I've even missed calls because of it. When switching to another app, there often seems to be a lag time. For example, if I'm reading my mail and then exit to go to iCal, the phone is unresponsive to commands for a few seconds. After that everything works fine. This has also happened when calls have come in. While I'm reading email, a call will come in... except I can't answer it. The call screen loads, but I can't swipe to answer. Or even if I can swipe (after a second or two), it doesn't register. If the delay is long enough I might even miss the call, if the caller doesn't hang around for more than 3 rings.

This is obviously very frustrating, so much so that I'm wanting to downgrade to 3.x.

I found this guide to downgrade from 2.1 to 2.0, but would it be the same process from iOS 4 to 3.x? Which version of iTunes do I need to be running? What are the risks to my purchased software and music library?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 25, 2010, 10:14 AM

How to Downgrade Your iPhone 3G[S] from iOS 4 to iOS 3.1.3[s]-from-ios-4-to-ios-313

Not sure if it applies to the 3G.

Edit: Heh, they broke the code with their [s]

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2010, 10:32 AM

Thanks. The link times out for me here at work. I'll try again when I get home.

Cold Warrior
Jun 25, 2010, 11:31 AM

This link works

The s in brackets broke the raw pasted link.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 25, 2010, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
The s in brackets broke the raw pasted link.
Yes, that's what I said.

Cold Warrior
Jun 25, 2010, 12:02 PM

I know, but Eug didn't seem to notice, so I reposted and with a fix. Value-Added Reply.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2010, 12:40 PM

Actually, the complete link doesn't work for me either. Times out. Dunno why.

I'll try again from home tonite.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2010, 03:46 PM

Obiously this isn't widespread or normal to all 3G phones.

Since this was the GM you were running mixed with the iTunes beta perhaps you should try doing an official erase and restore and try loading the OS again.

This is more logical and less work than downgrading. If it still doesn't work try downgrading.

Either way I don't see why any of your purchased content wouldn't work although I know many apps require 3.1.x something to work.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2010, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Obiously this isn't widespread or normal to all 3G phones.
Obviously you haven't been paying attention. This has been reported by many others as well, specifically with the 3G.

In fact, this the first sentence of the article linked above (which works fine from home BTW):

"A lot of iPhone 3G owners—myself included—have discovered that upgrading to iOS 4 has slowed their devices to a crawl."
( Last edited by Eug; Jun 25, 2010 at 09:13 PM. )

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2010, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Obviously you haven't been paying attention. This has been reported by many others as well, specifically with the 3G.

In fact, this the first sentence of the article linked above (which works fine from home BTW):

"A lot of iPhone 3G owners—myself included—have discovered that upgrading to iOS 4 has slowed their devices to a crawl."
Obviously. If it is so obvious why you pointing it out? To show me how stupid I am or just make it clear to others that something so obvious must be pointed out? :/

You're 100% right I don't' have as much time as you and am not paying attention I guess. I didn't read the 3 random link on this thread by someone with no title but what would be (I assumed a link on downgrading firmware like the title and discussion). So sorry for not following the strict replying to help YOU process and perhaps offering another helpful suggestion with alternative method.

But thanks for that link to some guy saying other some guys somewhere also have problems with this update (good source), although I can give you that same statement for every OS update since 1.01.

Are you saying that 100% of the 3G's are effected or that somehow there could be a small software difference or corruption in yours (and these millions? of others) that could cause this?

Or perhaps it is just bringing out a flaw in hardware that you all seem to have?

Why are you so reluctant to just erase and re-install. It's less work than searching into downgrading and chastising people trying to help (with italics no less)? You aint got time to hit 1 button and watch a progress bar? We can wait

Apologies in advance if this has been helpful in any way or if I have not properly researched all links and footnotes before shooting my helpful mouth off again.
( Last edited by analogue SPRINKLES; Jun 25, 2010 at 11:56 PM. )

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2010, 11:51 PM

Sweet. The instructions worked like a charm. Downgraded to 3.1.3 and the stalls and delays have disappeared.

It's still not fast, as the 3G is slow in general, but at least now I don't feel like ripping my hair out anymore.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2010, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Sweet. The instructions worked like a charm. Downgraded to 3.1.3 and the stalls and delays have disappeared.

It's still not fast, as the 3G is slow in general, but at least now I don't feel like ripping my hair out anymore.
Oh good that nightmare is behind you. Sounds like a ton of more work though than a restore.
So the question is you gonna try again or wait for 4.01?

I'm guessing skip all together till the new iPhone 4.

So was your baseband updated updating to 4.0? If so I don't think they found a downgrade for that yet. (Sorry if this has been linked to somewhere on the internet already).

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2010, 06:13 AM

If apps are updated to be OS 4 compatible with the multitasking etc. do they still work if you're running OS 3? I've upgraded my 3G to OS 4, and it is slow now. I'll be passing it on to my mum when my new one gets delivered, I'm just wondering whether to downgrade it or leave it on OS 4.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

-Q-
Jul 5, 2010, 08:38 AM

Yes, the Apps that were updated still work fine. My wife is now the owner of my 3G and I downgraded it to 3.1.3 so it would be A) usable and B) able to be unlocked so she could use her T-mobile SIM. So far, all apps have been working great.

jzer10
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2010, 12:08 AM

I also want to improve my speed, but do not want to lose all my contacts and calendar data. Is there a way to know before doing the downgrade if I have an older backup of the 3GS on my computer somewhere that is pre-OS4 so I know if this will work for me? I can't easily find a list of 'backup files' in iTunes.

Thanks in advance,

gradient
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2010, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by jzer10 View Post
I also want to improve my speed, but do not want to lose all my contacts and calendar data. Is there a way to know before doing the downgrade if I have an older backup of the 3GS on my computer somewhere that is pre-OS4 so I know if this will work for me? I can't easily find a list of 'backup files' in iTunes.

Thanks in advance,
If you sync your contacts and calendar to your computer first, you should just be able to sync them back to your iPhone after a fresh restore. I haven't actually done this, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Forum Links
Forum Rules