Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Back to the Mac

Back to the Mac (Page 9)
Cold Warrior
Oct 31, 2010, 11:53 AM

It's not exactly an SSD -- the chips are mounted as mini PCI express, right? This should provide better throughput than SATA in a traditional SSD or HDD.

P
Oct 31, 2010, 04:29 PM

It is actually an SSD in the sense that it appears to the OS as an HD and that it uses a standard (Toshiba) SSD controller. There is even a company selling upgrades with a SandForce 1200 controller. I think it uses a slim SATA connector (same as the optical drive in Macbooks and iMacs).

There is work being done to make a standard for connecting flash storage using PCIe, but it's nowhere near ready. Existing solutions use proprietary drivers on the OS side an don't really work all that well.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2010, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
You're right, I had a chance to play with one of them today at the Apple Store. I was shocked with how fast it felt. If they can get the reliability of SSDs up, and maybe pair it with a small HDD for storing large files I'll consider it... Actually having an SSD in an iMac sounds like a great idea now.
What's wrong with the reliability of SSDs?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 31, 2010, 06:21 PM

Cheap SSDs tend to "burn" out after a year or two.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2010, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Cheap SSDs tend to "burn" out after a year or two.
So is apple using cheap SSDs or high quality?
~Mike

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2010, 01:56 PM

I know the SSDs offered in the MBPs are considered mid-range, not sure about MacBook Air.

P
Nov 1, 2010, 02:18 PM

I think what you mean is that NAND flash has a certain number of write cycles, and once they're out, you can't write any more. Modern Flash controllers use wear leveling techniques to spread the writes over all the cells, so a bigger drive will in effect last longer. Whether the actual flash chips in the current Macs are of very high or very low quality is more than I know, but general analysis on PC sites show that you have to write a LOT to run into Flash write limits. It's an issue for enterprise servers that write 24/7 - it is not an issue for home users.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules