Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > What my daughter did.....

What my daughter did.....
MichaelJPR
Jul 7, 2005, 11:38 PM

My daughter owns a 1st gen ipod - 5 gig. When her iTunes library exceeded 5 gigs, it created a file for her called, "Camille's iPod selections" based on her music selections, keeping her iPod library safely under 5 gigs. She deleted it after putting a bunch of new CD's into iTunes - she wanted to create a new list. -- HUGE mistake, of course...

Well, now when she updates her iPod, all that goes in there are Podcasts - no music at all.

What now? I'm thinking she should reset the iPod - completely return it to its original blankness and factory settings....

Will that work?

Please help. You know dads are supposed to have all the answers.....

BigBadWolf
Forum Regular
Jul 7, 2005, 11:45 PM

In itunes' preferences you can change it to manually put songs on the ipod instead of auto-update.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2005, 02:29 AM

You'll have to open up the iPod and pull out the actuatometer. Be careful as the metal case has plastic snaps that can break easily. It'll look like this:

Now, just cut the red wire, and this will unlock the extra 1gb the hard disk has on it. Little known secret, but very useful when you run out of space on the 1G iPods.

MichaelJPR  (op)
Jul 8, 2005, 04:54 AM

Big Bad Wolf -

That did it! I wish you could have been there to see her face when she came running into the room after the problem got fixed.

Thanks a million.

broxy5
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 8, 2005, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by jamil5454
You'll have to open up the iPod and pull out the actuatometer. Be careful as the metal case has plastic snaps that can break easily. It'll look like this:

Now, just cut the red wire, and this will unlock the extra 1gb the hard disk has on it. Little known secret, but very useful when you run out of space on the 1G iPods.

That's a 1G ipod???? Looks like a home stereo. I'd like to see the real picture if you've got it though.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2005, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by broxy5
That's a 1G ipod???? Looks like a home stereo. I'd like to see the real picture if you've got it though.
Gullible is written on the ceiling.

nickw311
Senior User
Jul 11, 2005, 01:30 PM

bwahaha,
nice posts
27" iMac C2D

cleanup
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 14, 2005, 09:29 AM

That's a DVD Player. Notice the large grey box sticking in the centre of the front panel?

I was David B.
Location: there are days when I wake up and thats exactly my question
Jul 14, 2005, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by MichaelJPR
Big Bad Wolf -

That did it! I wish you could have been there to see her face when she came running into the room after the problem got fixed.

Thanks a million.
If you mange the songs on your iPod manually, you will soon face the situation when the iPod is filled and you don't know how to remove songs from the iPod to free some space for new songs.

In that case you may have a look at this tool iPod song Entsorger .
Very useful!
That will give you a second chance to shine as daddy-knows-everything .
( Last edited by I was David B.; Jul 14, 2005 at 11:53 AM. )

ideasculptor
Forum Regular
Jul 14, 2005, 03:12 PM

My music library (120GB) is WAY bigger than my ipod (40GB, and my wife's is only 4GB). I use smart playlists to keep everythink syncing correctly.

I added my wife's name to the comment field of the songs she requires on her ipod. I added another word for songs she is willing to have on her ipod. I have the same deal for the songs I require and like.

Then I have a smart playlist that includes only songs with my name (or her name) in the comment field. I then make another playlist that contains only songs that I (or my wife) like enough to be willing to have in the ipod. I limit that 2nd playlist to whatever size is appropriate for the ipod in question. In my case, the required songs are about 4GB, so I limit the other list to 35GB, selected at random from the songs I like. I then set the ipod to only sync those two playlists, guaranteeing I get the songs I want and no others.

I have a separate playlist for songs which I like in the rotation on my shuffle. They all contain the word 'Shuffle' in the comment, so I just have my shuffle autofill at random from a smartplaylist containing only songs with 'Shuffle' in the playlist.

Manual copying works, but it is a pain in the ass to manage. Adding some intelligence to your playlists and then syncing only a subset of your playlists is definitely the way to go.

--sam

hab
Forum Regular
Jul 14, 2005, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by ideasculptor
I then set the ipod to only sync those two playlists, guaranteeing I get the songs I want and no others.
How do you do this? Is there a preference?
21.5" iMac 2.7GHz i5; 15" FP iMac 0.8GHz G4, iPhone 5S

Forum Links
Forum Rules