Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > AluPowerbook: Screen Wobbly?

AluPowerbook: Screen Wobbly?
ojnihs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2004, 04:19 PM

I have a Aluminum Powerbook, 1.25ghz, 15".

When I open my screen and set it to the position I want, I seem to be able to pull it towards me a little without any resistance. When I let go, it returns to the initial position I placed it in and sort of wobbles.

Does this mean that my screen is loose and that it needs to be retightened so that it doesn't wobble? I've noticed that when I accidently shake the table my powerbook is on, that the screen will move back and forth a little because of the movement. Is this supposed to happen as a precautionary thing? Or is the screen supposed to be firmly set at the position that you initially set it at and not move unless you choose to move it?

f1000
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2004, 05:36 PM

I've owned several PowerBooks, iBooks, and PC laptops, and none of them had a loose display like yours. I say take your PB to an Apple Store and have them repair it.

hldan
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2004, 09:14 PM

Originally posted by ojnihs:
I have a Aluminum Powerbook, 1.25ghz, 15".

When I open my screen and set it to the position I want, I seem to be able to pull it towards me a little without any resistance. When I let go, it returns to the initial position I placed it in and sort of wobbles.

Does this mean that my screen is loose and that it needs to be retightened so that it doesn't wobble? I've noticed that when I accidently shake the table my powerbook is on, that the screen will move back and forth a little because of the movement. Is this supposed to happen as a precautionary thing? Or is the screen supposed to be firmly set at the position that you initially set it at and not move unless you choose to move it?
I have the 17"PB 1.33Ghz model. I have had it less than a year and take care of it like a human baby, however my screen became very loose for some reason beyond me. It was most noticable in the direct upright position. In this position the screen had some play in it and I could gently rock the screen back and forth and I heard the hinge clicking. It got worse so I took it to my nearby Apple Retail Store and had the genius look at it.
He mentioned that it was way too wobbly. He sent it out for repair and in less than a week I got it back good as new.
The screen hinge is now much stiffer than when I first bought it. It no longer wobbles back and forth.
The hinge had to be replaced. I noticed that a couple of the demo Powerbooks at the Apple store were really loose. It's obvious that customers misuse them but you should take yours in and get the hinge replaced.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

Roy Boy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2004, 09:41 PM

i'm suffering the same fate with my 15" pb but can't do with out it long enough to have it fixed

shatten22
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 15, 2004, 11:52 PM

My brand new powerbook does it a bit also, but I don't think a little wobble is bad. I can set it like yours and put a little pressure on it to move forward and it wobbles once SLIGHTLY and resets.

It doesn't seem like a manufacturing defect to me, it just seems normal. No weird sounds, so okay by me.

-g

selowitch
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2004, 11:57 PM

Hmmm. I dunno. A client of mine's screen wobbles back and forth when she types on her AlBook. It looks very not-normal to me.

It's awkward; although it drives me nuts, she hasn't mentioned it and I'm tempted not to speak up, thinking what she doesn't know won't hurt her. Unless, of course, she's secretly wondering why I haven't said anything.

shatten22
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 16, 2004, 03:00 PM

it doesn't wobble when i type... not unless i hit it real hard.

-g

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2004, 03:13 PM

My AlBook doesn't wobble. I have the newest revision.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

hldan
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2004, 05:02 PM

Originally posted by olePigeon:
My AlBook doesn't wobble. I have the newest revision.
That's probably why, because you have a brand new one.
Over time the screen can get loose.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

milhous
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2004, 06:13 AM

yep, any laptop will get the wobbles over time, some quicker then others. but if it wobbles within your warranty, don't think twice and get it fixed.

Three posts to go...
F = ma

Peabo
Senior User
Sep 18, 2004, 11:35 PM

I'm in the UK and have no 'Apple Store'! My 17" is starting to wobble and I was wondering if there was any way I could fix it myself?
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2004, 02:31 PM

I have a slight wobble anytime I move the screen to a new position. I just got my PB a week ago.
iamwhor3hay

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2004, 11:06 PM

let a genius look at it, i'm thinking it'd be a free repair. i'd take the effort to go

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2004, 11:47 PM

if i kind of guide it into place and kind of use my arms as a shock absorber it doesn't wobble as much. also only in some positions does it wobble, probably at 60 degrees and below it wobbles the most.
iamwhor3hay

Forum Links
Forum Rules