Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Kids... love em or hate em?

View Poll Results: Kids... love em or hate em?
Poll Options:
Love em 24 votes (42.11%)
Hate em 9 votes (15.79%)
They are ok as long as they belong to someone else and leave after a while 24 votes (42.11%)
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll
Kids... love em or hate em?
Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2003, 12:33 AM

Personally if I had any they would drive me nuts.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2003, 12:38 AM

I'm an as$hole enough on my own, I can't imagine my kids being 2x as bad as I am. Therefore, they better be someone else's kids for me to like them.
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2003, 12:38 AM

Well, baby's are really cute and fun to look at and play with. Toddlers are the same as long as you don't have to deal with them 24 hours/day. Everything above that is really pretty anoying in my experience. While I'm sure that I will at some point feel the desire to have kids, it certainly isn't today and probably won't be any time soon.

ink
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2003, 12:39 AM

I have 1 son, named after one of my buddies that died from brain cancer when he was 22. I love him senselessly, and just seeing other kids makes me smile; especially when they're causing their parents grief with the social games that they play. I remember that kids used to annoy me until I had my own; not that he's "mine", he's his own person.

Severed Hand of Skywalker  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2003, 12:41 AM

Originally posted by nonhuman:
Well, baby's are really cute and fun to look at and play with.
Ya but when they Sh�t all over the place and keep you up all night they lose their charm.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2003, 12:42 AM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Ya but when they Sht all over the place and keep you up all night they lose their charm.
Yeah, I should have attached the same caveat to babies that I did to toddlers...

simonjames
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2003, 12:45 AM

Any one under 15 years of age should be sent to Tasmania - IMHO
this sig intentionally left blank

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2003, 12:46 AM

Originally posted by simonjames:
Any one under 15 years of age should be sent to Tasmania - IMHO
They are just as annoying at 16 as they want the car.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Patrick
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2003, 01:50 AM

I used to be a kid myself, so I guess they can't all be that bad.

Come on, who here could disagree with the above sentence? Er, I mean when applying it to yourself, not just me.

Back in school I did some volunteer work with younger kids. At first I thought it would be really stressful, but then I found the experiences can be quite the opposite. In large groups, however, it can be a different story� ah, they're still cool.

tintub
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2003, 02:22 AM

I love kids, although I don't think I could eat a whole one.

Kilbey
Baninated
Jun 14, 2003, 02:29 AM

Originally posted by tintub:
I love kids, although I don't think I could eat a whole one.
Now this is what I come to the lounge for.

I haven't laughed this hard in a long time.

Cipher13
Jun 14, 2003, 02:34 AM

Can't stand the little shits.

Generally.

Some, rarely, are okay. But none are okay 100% of the time. They're noisy, they're smelly, they're annoying. Worse, I hate people who can't control them in public.

I was on the bus to uni the other day, and these two 20 year old parents or whatever (could've been 25, I really don't care) had two babies in a double-pram thing.

Anyway, they were both perfectly content, in the packed-out bus, until the mother decided the eldest kid shouldn't play with her toy anymore, and took it off her.

The kid cried the rest of the freakin' journey, and I just had such an urge to say something to the mother... in this case, it was the mother being a b!tch, but still.

Older kids, like high-school level, can be okay... it depends. At that age, it becomes a per-child judgement, it's harder to generalise.

I work in a school, so I get it both ways. I get along fine with most of them.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2003, 03:18 AM

If you don't like kids DON'T BECOME PARENTS! I say again use a condom! I personallyi intend to have kids but not mine, I wanna addopt, fix a life that someone else brought into the world but wasn't ready for. I have a personal conviction though, after being suicidal and cursing my own life I really can't rationalise bringing someone else into the world.

Anyway yeah... I really refuse to respect people when they say they want a baby so they can hug and hold it, because the baby grows up and almost all the people I hear that from seem to think after 3 the kid's done and they can just have another.

Hence why a former Pastor who now has 5 kids and a low paying job makes me growl at the thought of his irrisponcibility.

Anyway, I like kids when they're older, I think I scare babies I dono maybe it's my face (que star wars guy with the joke pic he grabbed off my site.). Anyway, older kids love me though, it might be because I treat em like people or it might just be because kids long for adult aproval.
Our church has a spring break day camp, where we have about 45 neighborhood kids grades 1-6 come while they're off school and their parents work, and we let them play games and we take em on feild trips to places like the the kid's musem and bowling and swimming ect.
And I really enjoy it, my only concern is if I have a son or daughter that gets into drugs... or is a jock or something... seriously if my kid's a smart ass I can handle it, if he's dumb, I can deal, if he's a social reject great they're some of the most interesting people (not that I'd really want my kid to be a complete loner or something, but realizing peer approval isn't the be all and end all is an important lesson in life.) but I really don't know what I'll do if some day I find out my kid is like on all the sports teams and I have to like monitor him every time he has an "open minded" female friend over.

Sadly I think it will be very hard to find a woman who wants to take care of kids that arn't genetically her's... but then again, I really don't think I could ever bring myself to impregnate a woman just because she wanted to "feel something growing inside" type thing... women who get off on that irritate me to no end... least when a drug addict is getting their highs they're not creating a new life to hurt.

This rant has been brought to you by me

tintub
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2003, 03:36 AM

Originally posted by Superchic[k]en:
If you don't like kids DON'T BECOME PARENTS! I say again use a condom! I personallyi intend to have kids but not mine, I wanna addopt, fix a life that someone else brought into the world but wasn't ready for. I have a personal conviction though, after being suicidal and cursing my own life I really can't rationalise bringing someone else into the world.

Anyway yeah... I really refuse to respect people when they say they want a baby so they can hug and hold it, because the baby grows up and almost all the people I hear that from seem to think after 3 the kid's done and they can just have another.

Hence why a former Pastor who now has 5 kids and a low paying job makes me growl at the thought of his irrisponcibility.

Anyway, I like kids when they're older, I think I scare babies I dono maybe it's my face (que star wars guy with the joke pic he grabbed off my site.). Anyway, older kids love me though, it might be because I treat em like people or it might just be because kids long for adult aproval.
Our church has a spring break day camp, where we have about 45 neighborhood kids grades 1-6 come while they're off school and their parents work, and we let them play games and we take em on feild trips to places like the the kid's musem and bowling and swimming ect.
And I really enjoy it, my only concern is if I have a son or daughter that gets into drugs... or is a jock or something... seriously if my kid's a smart ass I can handle it, if he's dumb, I can deal, if he's a social reject great they're some of the most interesting people (not that I'd really want my kid to be a complete loner or something, but realizing peer approval isn't the be all and end all is an important lesson in life.) but I really don't know what I'll do if some day I find out my kid is like on all the sports teams and I have to like monitor him every time he has an "open minded" female friend over.

Sadly I think it will be very hard to find a woman who wants to take care of kids that arn't genetically her's... but then again, I really don't think I could ever bring myself to impregnate a woman just because she wanted to "feel something growing inside" type thing... women who get off on that irritate me to no end... least when a drug addict is getting their highs they're not creating a new life to hurt.

This rant has been brought to you by me
I really pity any kids you have/adopt.

nbnz
Senior User
Jun 14, 2003, 03:47 AM

I'm the same as Cipher13, generally can't stand the little sh**ts (except my nieces cause I can take them shopping and they love me then I can bugger off) - but worse is the parents that can't/don't control them, and when you are near them on a plane, or bus, or when you're trying to do Christmas shopping, or at the movies, or at McDs, or ... ... ...

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2003, 04:55 AM

Originally posted by nbnz:
but worse is the parents that can't/don't control them, and when you are near them on a plane, or bus, or when you're trying to do Christmas shopping, or at the movies, or at McDs, or ... ... ...
HOW DO YOU CONTROL A TWO YEAR OLD? Chains? A straight-jacket? Do beatings work?

I'm curious because I have two young kids. I am the person on the bus with the screaming kids. I am the person at the supermarket with the tantrum child. Yes it's ME!

AND you non-parents don't have a freakin' clue.

But you will.

Oh yes, you will.

Muahaha!

Dogma
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2003, 06:51 AM

Kids? Love em, couldn't eat a whole one though.

They're so tender and juicy if you roast them up with a nice bit of Redcurrant jelly and some big chunky chips to dip in the gravy. Ordinary grown up don''t taste half as nice.

Kids should be kept on leashes like other animals. Or at least in a cage.

I reckon their should be a law prohibiting anyone younger than sixteen into large cities, or certain places. They always seem to have some godawful racket or nuisance to make when you're trying to have a nice quiet day.

(I don't have any kids that I know of)
Hark, I hear a robin sig'ing in the trees!
Nae, there is no sog to be sug,
or am I wrog? Why can't I sig?

Sealobo
Jun 14, 2003, 07:04 AM

When i was a kid, my father tried to control me by beating the crap out of me. And it worked.

I am not sure if i wanna have kids in the future. I mean, having a kid is an expensive sport. My father will kick my ass though if i told him that i wouldn't have no kids. Er... traditional way of chinese thinking; I am the eldest son in the family and it's my responsibility to keep the bloodline flowing.

ink
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2003, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by Face Ache:

I'm curious because I have two young kids. I am the person on the bus with the screaming kids. I am the person at the supermarket with the tantrum child. Yes it's ME!
We couldn't even sit Kyle in a shopping cart, restaurant seat or stroller without intense audio punishment. He had to be carried in a special way all the time (cholic?) until he was a year old. After that, he's been amazingly well behaved (he's four now, and never throws tantrums anymore). My sister's kid was a sleeping angel for the first year; he would sleep absolutely anywhere, any time, but now that he's two he's a royal pain.

This book was a great comfort to me, although I wouldn't go so far as to say that it provides the answer to the tantrum question. I don't think anyone really knows.. Kids are social engineers, and they do what works for them.

misc
Jun 14, 2003, 11:05 AM

Sadly I think it will be very hard to find a woman who wants to take care of kids that arn't genetically her's...
Not true, an old (female) "acquaintance" of mine didn't want children. She wanted to adopt. And right now I think I'm going to have to agree with her.. the world is overpopulated with little sh�ts anyway.. you don't need a couple people running around looking like me. And basically i'm scared that they will be as bad as I am... But there is a feeling you get when you look at something you helped create and think that he/she is your creation. I dunno, i'm indifferent

"And after we are through, ten years in making it to be the most of glorious debuts."

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2003, 11:36 AM

Originally posted by ink:
This book was a great comfort to me, although I wouldn't go so far as to say that it provides the answer to the tantrum question. I don't think anyone really knows.. Kids are social engineers, and they do what works for them.
Don't worry. I've actually got everything under control*. I was just making a point.

Young kids aren't logical. You can't reason with them (well you can try... ). There's gonna be hissy fits at some point and it's usually in public where the kid has an audience (read: leverage).

So non-parents should cut the poor breeders some slack IMHO.

* Yeah. I tell myself that.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2003, 11:41 AM

Sadly I think it will be very hard to find a woman who wants to take care of kids that arn't genetically her's...
Push the "not genetically yours" angle. It's a winner.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2003, 01:07 PM

I just try to remember that they are a child of God and made in his image. Jesus also said the only way to enter heaven, was to be as one of these little one's. We need to love, discipline and pray for them!

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2003, 10:09 PM

There are some parents that look embarassed when their kids are freaking out, then there are others that don't care. Personally I'll cut anyone slack if they are unhappy about the kid throwing a tantrum, but when you just don't care it's like grrr...

I see soo many bad mothers now aday, my mom once stopped our car and rolled down her window to yell at a lady for I think she was like jerking her daughter's arm or something, the mom just told my mom to f-off, I just kinda rolled my eyes at the stupidity of the woman.

I really respect my sister becuase she's going to be a prosicuting lawyer and doesn't want kids, and isn't willing to have them because she recognizes she would not be as good of a mom as she expects others to be.

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2003, 10:20 PM

Originally posted by wdlove:
Jesus also said the only way to enter heaven, was to be as one of these little one's.
Well then.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2003, 10:36 PM

My future wife must get her tubes tied prior to an enguagement ring.

tintub
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2003, 11:00 PM

Originally posted by macvillage.net:
My future wife must get her tubes tied prior to an enguagement ring.
why not just get the snip yourself

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2003, 12:50 AM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Personally if I had any they would drive me nuts.
Its different when they're your's. Otherwise all human life on earth would have been annihilated by now.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 15, 2003, 01:02 AM

Kids, you got to love them.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2003, 01:04 AM

Love 'em.

Yeah they get on your nerves sometimes, but what doesn't. Sometimes it's the little things they do/say that makes 'em great. Then they go and act like you probably did when you were little and you just wanna strangle them.

Other kids, that's a different matter. If they act up and their parents put effort into trying to change the behavior, I don't mind. The ones who can do whatever they want and their parents give into everything... well, it drives me nuts. The good part is that I am in a position to actually say something to these parents about actually trying to put some control back into these spoiled brats. Usually the parents don't listen, but at least it kinda gives them a wake up call that the reason these kids act the way they do is the parents' own fault (in many cases).

Cipher13
Jun 15, 2003, 01:21 AM

Originally posted by Face Ache:

AND you non-parents don't have a freakin' clue.

But you will.

Oh yes, you will.

Muahaha!
Perhaps you didn't read my example.

Cipher13
Jun 15, 2003, 01:24 AM

Originally posted by misc:
Not true, an old (female) "acquaintance" of mine didn't want children. She wanted to adopt. And right now I think I'm going to have to agree with her.. the world is overpopulated with little sh�ts anyway.. you don't need a couple people running around looking like me. And basically i'm scared that they will be as bad as I am... But there is a feeling you get when you look at something you helped create and think that he/she is your creation. I dunno, i'm indifferent
Yeah, plenty of women don't wanna have kids. My ex didn't want to, and wanted to adopt instead.

l'ignorante
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2003, 10:02 AM

I have three, all girls ( easy guys !! )

and I teach.

So I must love them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules