Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS9 Software compatibility under 10 or Classic..

OS9 Software compatibility under 10 or Classic..
Phil the Fish
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2003, 04:22 AM

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, and if it is I�m sure it�s been asked before (my apologies in advance), but I just can�t face trawling through million and one previous posts to find the specific answers to the questions that I have.. so here goes�.

Being a bit of a Dinosaur, I�m only just thinking about upgrading by buying a powerbook, and will be forced to use 10 or classic running under 10, rather than OS 9.1 which I�m using at present� my question(s) revolve around the compatibility of � classic mode� v OS 9 for the existing titles that I have, so I can work out a reasonable budget for software that I�m going to have to buy NOW, rather than the existing software that I could still continue to run, and upgrade at a later date WHEN / IF I have the cash to do so!!!!.

Can anyone enlighten me as to the list below, or point me in the right direction.....

Office 2001
Adobe Pagemaker 6
Adobe Photoshop 5
Adobe GoLive 5
Adobe Illustrator 7.0
OmniPage Pro 8
UMAX VistaScan 3.7.2
Virtual PC 3.0
Toast 5

Thanks �. Phil
Phil the Fish
15" PowerBook 1.5GHz, SuperDrive, 5400rpm 80GB, IGB RAM/128MB VRAM
PM G4 D500 1.25GB RAM, 40GB HD

Johnny_B
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 19, 2003, 06:15 AM

Can anyone enlighten me as to the list below, or point me in the right direction.....

Office 2001
Adobe Pagemaker 6
Adobe Photoshop 5
Adobe GoLive 5
Adobe Illustrator 7.0
OmniPage Pro 8
UMAX VistaScan 3.7.2
Virtual PC 3.0
Toast 5
I would think most of it would work, except for Virtual PC 3 and maybe UMAX VistaScan (maybe). I usually don't buy stuff, so I don't share your problem
Mac Pro 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core, Nvidia GeForce 8800GT

JKT
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2003, 06:20 AM

Office 2001:

no problems

Adobe Pagemaker 6, Adobe Photoshop 5, Adobe GoLive 5, Adobe Illustrator 7.0:

I have used Photoshop 4 in Classic with no problems whatsoever... can't comment on the others but I wouldn't envisage any problems.

OmniPage Pro 8:

OCR software? If so, and if it relies on your UMAX, then highly unlikely to work via Classic. Pretty much any software that needs to work via hardware is going to have problems

UMAX VistaScan 3.7.2:

Not a hope in hell. UMAX haven't updated any of their drivers for OS X as far as I know and their OS 9 software definitely does not work in Classic.

Virtual PC 3.0:

No idea

Toast 5:

Can't this can be upgraded for free to 5.2.1 (which is OS X native)?? If so, then it works well in OS X, but if it can't be upgraded, then you may have problems using it in Classic.

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2003, 08:27 AM

Photoshop 5 & Illustrator will work fine. However, if you want/need to scan images into PS, then you will need a more recent scanner with better software/plug-ins.

Umax blows..no X support at all, none planned

Cannon, Epson & some Microtek scanners have software that works in classic or X.
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

Forum Links
Forum Rules