Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New combo drive and DVD-RAM??

New combo drive and DVD-RAM??
Phil the Fish
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 29, 2001, 09:04 AM

I see on the apple website the following for the slot loading combo drive .....
"Slot-loading DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo drive
The PowerBook G4�s slot-loading DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo drive plays CD-ROM, audio CD, DVD video, DVD-ROM and DVD-RAM discs."

Can I really load DVD-RAM disks cut on my 500Duel ... and run them off the Ti .. or am I dreaming, Apple taking the ****, and I'm going to have to go for the DVD-R upgrade lock stock and barrel ... :-(
Phil the Fish
15" PowerBook 1.5GHz, SuperDrive, 5400rpm 80GB, IGB RAM/128MB VRAM
PM G4 D500 1.25GB RAM, 40GB HD

<eh nope>
Dec 29, 2001, 12:05 PM

I think Apple is talking about the DVD cartridges from which you can extract the disc from the caddy.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2001, 06:09 PM

As "eh nope" said, you will need to take the DVD-RAM disk out of its casing to play it on the drive.

DVD-RAM is a dying standard. I haven't seen many DVD-RAM drives become mainstream. Apple tried with its Power Mac line, but nothing really ever took off.

However, DVD-RW/DVD+RW are something we'll see a lot of in the next two years. As the prices drop, more people will have the hardware to read the media. Burners will eventually come down to the $300 range, and we'll see an influx of writable DVD media that you can play on every consumer DVD player (including computer DVD players) out there.

Forum Links
Forum Rules