Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 9.1 and language kit disaster

9.1 and language kit disaster
pete
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2001, 02:29 PM

Sorry, I need to vent. I use Chinese on a daily basis with my powerbook and have been looking forward to upgrading to 9.1 from 9.04. I downloaded the whole thing and tried to install. NO WAY! I need the cd EVEN TO INSTALL since I already have installed Chinese on the system. Even if I could install it, I'd need the cd to upgrade the language kits. Pay 20 bucks for a small upgrade that doesn't even work with the public beta, after paying 30 for the beta makes me mad. I won't do it. I didn't mind spending the 30 for Macosx but expected that to include updates along the way. I thin that's a reasonable expectation. Now we're all being ripped off. Jobs shows all the latest additions and says it's thanks to us but then we don't get to see them until we've forked out 130 bucks more in March. If you offer a public beta, shouldn't the small updates be included along the way? Apple is testing my patience both with the way they've handled the 9.1 upgrade and the beta. Anyone else annoyed? And please don't give me this crap about how it's my choice to buy. I've made the choice to buy already. And I'm not happy. I do love the new PB G4 though. I love it! Finally a material that will feel durable.

chengjt
Jan 10, 2001, 11:07 PM

Hi,

I agree with you totally. I have Jap + Chinese language kits ... and a paid OS X PB on another partition.

I won't buy the OS 9.1 CD. Just not worth it. And 9.1 does not seem to have any compelling advantage as its focus is on multi user and other fine-tuning to fit the GUI to match OS X.

OTOH, if I do buy the new PB G4, then it will come with a 9.1 CD. Emm ....

- JT -

[This message has been edited by chengjt (edited 01-10-2001).]

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2001, 11:55 AM

Why not write to Apple? I'm strongly tempted to do so. I wish, however, that they would provide the Language Kits as a download option from the web. That I'd be satisfied with.

Forum Links
Forum Rules