Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Our Archives > General Archives > Delicious Monster > Please tell me that DL2 have one feature I've always wanted?

Please tell me that DL2 have one feature I've always wanted?
Tsurisuto
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2007, 08:01 PM

Ever since I first started using Delicious Library I have always wanted the ability to re-arrange the order of my shelves in the left pane. So that when I start up Delicious Library I don't always have to see the Book shelf first.

It seems like a simple request, and the developers have said they would do this in the past, but nothing came of it.

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 6, 2007, 02:10 AM

So, in Delicious Library 2 the user shelves are in alphabetical order, which means you rearrange them willy-nilly, but you can affect their order. The library shelves themselves, however, remain in fixed order. That said, as in Delicious Library 1, you can hide any shelf you don't use. In Delicious Library 2 this happens automatically. In the current version, you use the preferences.

Tsurisuto  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2007, 07:30 AM

So the only way for me to see my games shelf 1st by default when I load Delicious Library every time, is to hide the other shelves?

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 6, 2007, 02:47 PM

Yes, it's not unlike iTunes, which always reminds you that music comes first, no matter how much you like your TV shows.

Tsurisuto  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2007, 05:52 PM

I don't mean to be persistent, but I just don't see why Delicious Monster would do that? I mean iTunes is understandable, as 99% of the time, people load iTunes is to do something related to music, but Delicious Library is for cataloging you Movies, Games, and Books. Some people would probably prefer to see their Games collection when they load up DL, and some people would prefer to see their DVD collection, etc.

I'm no programmer, but isn't it a simple thing to implement? I mean, DL could just check the left pane and see which of the collections the user has dragged to the top, and show that collection on startup. (Without the need to show and hide the different collections). It makes perfect sense, doesn't it?

Tsurisuto  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2007, 06:01 PM

Btw, I just loaded iTunes and selected TV Shows in the left pane, and then quit the program. When I restarted iTunes it automatically took me to my last viewed pane (TV Shows). So even though iTunes doesn't let me re-arrange my collections pane, it still remembers my last selection every time I restart. So couldn't you at least do that with Delicious Library 2? That way if I select my 'Games' collection, every time I load DL2, it will always show me my Games collection first (without the need to hide my other collections).

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2007, 04:48 PM

When I was in high school, there was a particular way of cuffing your jeans. There was even a special name for the technique. I think it was called "pegging." Anyway, someone, noticing my unstylish pant legs, asked me, "why haven't you pegged your jeans?"

I didn't know what to say, because I didn't even know what they were talking about, but the ultimate answer to that question is the same answer to your question: I never even considered such a thing as being in the realm of possibility.

We get people wanting to rearrange their own shelves, mainly because they want them in alphabetical order. We have people who want to do away with the book shelf because they only use Delicious Library for movies. Never have I even stopped to consider the idea you might use all the shelves, but favor a particular shelf, to the point it annoys you to have it in the given order.

Your iTunes solution of remembering the selected shelf would be a good compromise, except that, unlike iTunes, we're not married to the idea of a single document. Indeed, it seems inevitable that we'll go multi-document in the future. Having a particular state remembered to that degree would be like opening a Pages document and having it start you on the highlighted word on page 43. That is to say, weird, and unexpected.

The upshot of all this is that I respect your use case, but unfortunately, it's trump by other use cases.

As far as rearranging the order of the shelves in general, that's not forthcoming. I'm not saying it will never happen, but it's not going to happen for 2. Ther are just too many other things to work on right now. Sorry.

Tsurisuto  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2007, 06:20 PM

I thank you for your honesty in your response, and for taking the time to explain the situation. I'm still going to get Delicious Library 2, regardless of whether I can re-arrange shelves or not... But hopefully you guys remember my request and implement it into DL3!

Forum Links
Forum Rules