Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook G4 1.67 - How to determine if 2nd RAM port is bad

Powerbook G4 1.67 - How to determine if 2nd RAM port is bad
ck279
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2008, 10:05 PM

Hello!

As stated in title, I think my 2nd port (lower one) for RAM is defective. Just got two 1 GB RAM units from Crucial for Christmas as an upgrade from the original 512MB.

Upon putting both RAM units in the comp started up fine, but after about 30 seconds froze up...giving me a fatal kernel errror. I then rebooted and the comp started up fine, but only recognizes as having 1GB of RAM.

The RAM itself is good because I can use either card in the first RAM port (top one) and it will boot up fine. It is just that with one in the second port it still only reads as having 1GB present.

My big question is this something that can be remedied or is that simply a dead port?

Thanks a ton!

Carl

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 28, 2008, 10:11 PM

15" PowerBook?

Known issue with these PowerBooks - the lower RAM slot fails. You may have luck asking Apple for a replacement but you're a bit past the 3 year repair program I think.

ck279  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2008, 10:41 PM

Yes, seanc...its the 15".

Really?? They fail huh? Not what I was hoping to hear, but thanks for the information.

Carl

Forum Links
Forum Rules