Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Combo Drive and iDVD?

Combo Drive and iDVD?
iREZ
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2004, 03:47 PM

I just purchased my 12inch combo powerbook, and as I was scrolling through my applications I noticed that I happen to have iDVD, why would I have this program if I dont have DVD-R. The funny thing is that its working, I thought iDVD only worked on computers that had Superdrives?
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Minty Fresh
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 27, 2004, 04:12 PM

If you just purchased your Powerbook...then you most likely have iLife '04 included on it. The newest version of iDVD within iLife '04, changed a little...and now allows you to work on DVD projects, so you can then transfer them to another unit that has a Superdrive to burn them.

iREZ  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2004, 04:22 PM

No thats the thing, I know for a fact that I dont have iLife 04, and yet iDVD still works for me, maybe what you said goes for my unit after an update or something, but know for sure that I dont have iLife 04 and Im positive on that (I cant wait to get my hands on to garageband).

ibook_steve
Jan 27, 2004, 05:53 PM

Well, when did you buy the machine and are you sure you have a combo drive instead of the Superdrive? Otherwise, iDVD versions earlier than 4 will not run.

Steve

iREZ  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2004, 06:08 PM

I know for sure its iDVD 03, (went to the about iDVD menu) and I bought my computer for 1349 so I know its not a superdrive. Id go get my box and check but its way up in like three boxes and wrapped up in plastic bags so it stays in good condition, is there a way I could check my comp to see if theres a superdrive installed or not, im too lazy to go up there and unwrap then rewrap again. Im pretty sure there isnt seeing how I didnt get a DVD-R disc in the box like most superdrive computers.

Icekey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2004, 07:39 PM

When I had the 15" combo drive the dvd came with iDVD. It's simply this. It's cheaper to manufactor installation DVDs which are to be used in both the 15" and 17" then having seperate ones for seperate hardware. Even if you have iDVD, it's just taking up your HD space so it's kinda useless for you
I want my mac NOW!

iREZ  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2004, 07:46 PM

No, not useless. I made a picture movie, and now it seems all I have to do is move the file to my desktop at work (dual g4 w/sd) and voila.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2004, 12:01 AM

I think iDVD has ALWAYS worked on non-Superdrive Macs ... it just couldn't burn DVDs. I installed iDVD 2 on my iBook 600 and it ran fine to create and save projects (I never bothered trying to burn a DVD or DVD image).

Forum Links
Forum Rules