Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Price protection?

Price protection?
Icekey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2004, 07:43 PM

G'day. I got my brother in the US to order me a 15" powerbook CTO and to ship it over here. Anyhow, it should be reaching his doorsteps sometime this week hopefully. Now, there are rumours going on about Feb 2nd or 3rd as a possible update or price reduction. Can somebody tell me how this works? If he wants to swap over for a newer updated model, will he have to keep it in the box until the 3rd of Feb, or can he simply open it, use it, and if there happens to be a update he can simply swap over? The CTO is simply getting 1x512mb RAM instead of 2x256mb which is crazy. As for the price reduction, is it a matter of ringing up, give them the serial No and he gets the credit of the difference? Cheers
I want my mac NOW!

luxx78
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2004, 01:16 AM

As far as price drops go, this might help: this little blurb was included in a receipt I got from Apple via email after I ordered a refurb. powerbook:

"Should Apple reduce its price on any shipped product within 10 calendar days of shipment, you may contact Apple Sales Support at 1-800-676-2775 to request a refund or credit of the difference between the price you were charged and the current selling price. To receive the refund or credit you must contact Apple
within 14 business days of shipment."

Paul Huang
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 28, 2004, 02:38 AM

Apple has a sneaky way around this bloody policy.

If you find the same computer priced lower in ten days (after you bought it from Apple Store or Apple directly), the items MUST MATCH in everyway.

Imagine that Apple changes the computer from 256 MB to 512 MB and drops the price by $300. Guess what, you are out of luck.

By the same token, when 1.6 GHz ships, the "old" models are **NEVER** sold by Apple. As it becomes discontinued, you may find it for less elsewhere. Again, you are out of luck, because Apple only matches its own price.

The key phrases are:

the SAME item
ten days
price match with TWO sources: AppleStore and AppleStore online.

Paul Huang
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 28, 2004, 02:40 AM

There is absolutely no price protection on "non-stock" items, even though the CTO items may drop in price.

Forum Links
Forum Rules