Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Bluetooth phone + Powerbook?

Bluetooth phone + Powerbook?
stephanielamb
Jun 21, 2005, 11:03 AM

I'll have my Powerbook tomorrow (my second one, whoo!) and I live out in the boonies with no internet access.
Last week at Verizon Wireless I picked up a Motorola v710, which has bluetooth. (And so does my Powerbook, correct?)
Verizon also has this #777 or something where you can use their 144k internet connection for the low cost of...airtime! (After 9pm, nothing!)
Usually they have you buy a data cable and some software that only works for PC but they said the Bluetooth phone should take the place of the cable.

Has anyone tried getting online with a PB and a bluetooth phone? I'm a designer usually, not a techie; therefore I have no clue and not much patience.

(I've also looked up this sort of thing on Google, but I can't seem to find stuff for my particular phone..I found some scripts but they were from like..2002.)

misc
Jun 21, 2005, 11:12 AM

Not answering your question, but check out BluePhoneElite. It will display who is calling you on your computer.

"And after we are through, ten years in making it to be the most of glorious debuts."

stephanielamb  (op)
Jun 21, 2005, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by misc
Not answering your question, but check out BluePhoneElite. It will display who is calling you on your computer.
Oooh. I'm oh so attracted to halfway-useful goodies programs.

skybolt
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 21, 2005, 11:50 AM

Well, here's my story! I purchased the V710 last week when I signed up for Verizon. Love the phone! Anyway, seems Verizon has crippled bluetooth on that phone for internet use and syncing! They told me they only offer it for headsets, etc. I searched around and found some hacks to get it to work, but decided that I did not want to pay for features that they have crippled, and don't particularly want to hack my computer! So, since they offer a 15 day return policy, last evening I went to Cingular and signed up, got a Moto V551 (very similar to the 710), went home and the bluetooth paired beautifully with my PB! I am just about to get online with it (had to get the passwords, etc. from Cingular -- they have mac heads who can help!). So, make your own decision -- I made mine! The beautiful V710 will be in the mail back to Verizon in the morning!

Good luck!
Mary

stephanielamb  (op)
Jun 21, 2005, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by skybolt
Well, here's my story! I purchased the V710 last week when I signed up for Verizon. Love the phone! Anyway, seems Verizon has crippled bluetooth on that phone for internet use and syncing! They told me they only offer it for headsets, etc. I searched around and found some hacks to get it to work, but decided that I did not want to pay for features that they have crippled, and don't particularly want to hack my computer! So, since they offer a 15 day return policy, last evening I went to Cingular and signed up, got a Moto V551 (very similar to the 710), went home and the bluetooth paired beautifully with my PB! I am just about to get online with it (had to get the passwords, etc. from Cingular -- they have mac heads who can help!). So, make your own decision -- I made mine! The beautiful V710 will be in the mail back to Verizon in the morning!

Good luck!
Sadly, Cingular has no service where I live. Well, theoretically they do, but I dare any one of you to try and actually make a phone call from here.
I'm limited to Verizon or Sprint (ew.)

Do you know anything about the hacks that make it work?
I really don't see why internet should be disabled. Craptacular! I know the syncing doesn't work. I can go buy the cable to get internet, so why not Bluetooth? *grumble*

stephanielamb  (op)
Jun 21, 2005, 12:07 PM

Actually from the little bit of research I can Google up..I found this.. Bluetooth should work?

Functional Bluetooth Dialup Networking Gateway: Fortunately, Verizon didn't disable the dialup network gateway, which allows you to make 14.4k data calls from your laptop or PDA via Bluetooth. This service can also be used to connect to Verizon's ExpressNetwork, providing subscribers with speeds up to 144k. Apparently Verizon doesn't seem as concerned about a stranger using up your minutes as they do downloading your pictures.

This was taken from http://www.nuclearelephant.com/papers/v710.html

skybolt
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 21, 2005, 12:42 PM

Here's one link I followed:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...917&query=V710

www.howardforums.com has some good info, too. As well as Yahoo's Maccellphone group.

The Nuclear Elephant article is the one that totally did it for me! Made me so angry that I determined that I did not want to have anything to do with Verizon. Maybe I'm jumping into the fire here, but after talking with a Cingular rep today that actually uses macs and knows what he was talking about, I feel much better!

When I tried to pair my Verizon phone to the computer, all went well, I was able to pair it, however the options for use were totally greyed out. Apparently, Verizon did allow using bluetooth for internet, but with a firmware update, that was disabled. Also, used to be that you could use a memory card in the phone that would allow moving files onto and off of the phone (pics, etc.) but the upgrade disabled that as well. They admit that they want to make money by making consumers pay additional to use the features that they advertise! My agent also admitted that to me when I called to cancel the contract!

Good luck!
Mary

crazeazn
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 21, 2005, 02:49 PM

www.myworldphone.com get a phone for tmoblie

like above poster said v710 is crippled and its annoying
12" AI book REV B, mac mini core duo 1.66

CarbonG4
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 21, 2005, 06:44 PM

stephanielamb, I'm surprised to see you say Cingular has terrible service where you are... I also live in the Carbondale area and I use the Razr V3 w/ Cingular and it works exceptionally well in C'dale (usually 4 to 5 bars) and I also get good service in Murphysboro. I have a buddy who got the v710 from the C'dale Verizon and apparently the newer versions have less-crippled bluetooth but I still don't know if you'll be able to get it to do what you want. If you aren't locked into a plan already I'd recommend giving Cingular a try. The Motorola v551 and Razr V3 are both solid GSM phones w/ bluetooth and OS X compatibility (in Tiger).

Anyway, I'll take your word that Cingular doesn't work in your specific location and try to help w/ the Verizon issue (assuming you haven't already figured it out, couldn't exactly tell from your last post)...

1. download this modem script: http://www.taniwha.org.uk/files/MotorolaGeneric.sit
2. expand the file and place the script in: Macintosh HD/Library/Modem Scripts/
3. put your v710 in bluetooth discovery mode and open the Bluetooth Setup Assistant...
4. then follow the rest of the instructions from this post: http://www.yuma.ca/wordpress/index.php?p=93

If that doesn't work there's a 14.4 alternative you could try via bluetooth by dialing into SIU w/ a kerberos id.

Peace
//Carbon

:: Carbon Themes v1.5 ::

stephanielamb  (op)
Jun 21, 2005, 09:16 PM

Wow! Someone else in Carbondale! (Now I have someone to reallllllly bombard questions with.. above all 'hey. come fix this?' haha.)

From my experience..well not actually MY experience.. Cingular just doesn't seem to get reception where I tend to be. My roommate last year and my boyfriend both have it... and it was always randomly terminating calls or not getting enough signal to make the calls. It might just be coincidence.. I was in dorms and now I live a couple miles out of town..

I don't get Powerbookie v.2 til tomorrow morning, but trying to get online with it will be one of the first things I do.. though being on campus all day with a wireless connection will have me spoiled.

I tend to like Verizon in other respects until now, so I'll stick with em, but I may consider a different phone. (I ran to this one just for Bluetooth and with some discounts I got it free.)

stephanielamb  (op)
Jun 21, 2005, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by crazeazn
www.myworldphone.com get a phone for tmoblie

like above poster said v710 is crippled and its annoying

I've heard *great* things about T-Mobile but it's not even covered here. I went to the website and they don't offer service for my zip code.

f1000
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2005, 09:35 PM

You will need to increase RWIN in order to get 144k speeds using Bluetooth, whatever the service provider (CIngular, Verizon).

stephanielamb  (op)
Jun 22, 2005, 05:29 PM

This is just some verification on what was said before, after trying it myself.
I got my PB this morning, it's running Tiger.

I followed the instructions at http://www.yuma.ca/wordpress/index.php?p=93
and got it to work, first try.

So I guess I will keep this phone, after all.

jaknudsen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 22, 2005, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by misc
So will Address Book that comes with OS X. But BluePhoneElite has tons of other useful functions!

Bruck
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2005, 08:00 AM

i have a v710 working beautifully with my powerbook and panther/tiger. Takes a few moments to setup (no downloads of modem strings) if you need help, send me a pm. I'd be glad to help out.
| MBA Student | MacAddict | CarAddict | PhotoNut | Dork | PhishHead |

Bruck
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2005, 08:03 AM

p.s. it is still crippled, but dialing up the internet via bt is very simple.
| MBA Student | MacAddict | CarAddict | PhotoNut | Dork | PhishHead |

oexecbmug
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2005, 09:16 AM

jokarak
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2005, 12:36 PM

On a totally different note, I've been trying to get my Nokia 9300 to work as a bluetooth modem to no avail. I guess the built-in scripts don't work well w/ this phone, and I'm wondering whether anyone on the board has a 9300/9500 and had any luck w/ it.

tmcdanel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2005, 08:41 PM

So, can you sync your address book and scheduler with Bluetooth, OSX, iSync?

Forum Links
Forum Rules