Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > ...Yes, but is the Mac Pro Quiet?

...Yes, but is the Mac Pro Quiet?
Eyenovation
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2006, 03:24 AM

Can anyone confirm, or hear the noise levels emitted from the Mac Pro? Is there Power Supply screeching, whining, chirping, or buzzing? Is the fan noise acceptable? Are they loud? Always running? If the MacBook Pro is any indication for heat suppression it should be like a wind tunnel. Anyone?

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2006, 03:34 AM

Offhand, without actually hearing one, it is hard to tell. i'll bet if you aren't doing any serious work they are quite quiet.

lilfordbmx
Baninated
Aug 8, 2006, 03:46 AM

i'd think so since there isn't much cooling in them
which from my knowledge is what most of the noise came from?

badtz
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2006, 02:22 AM

is the water cooling not there anymore?

dohidied
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2006, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by badtz
is the water cooling not there anymore?
Nope, no water cooling, just two fans iirc. The Intel chips run much cooler than the G5, that's how they were able to get away with less cooling and more internal expansion ability.

I was listening to the Macworld podcast and they said they could barely hear the fans when they were looking at the MacPro. But then again, I think it was just idling.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2006, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by lilfordbmx
i'd think so since there isn't much cooling in them
which from my knowledge is what most of the noise came from?
Nowadays, noise comes almost completely from fans. Hard drives used to be pretty danged noisy, but not nearly as much anymore. Water cooling is usually much quieter than air cooling in systems put out enough heat for one to think about water cooling it.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2006, 03:45 AM

I doubt we will get any decent noise reports until people receive their orders. WWDC is certainly a very bad place to test noise levels. It's probably even worse than trying to check in a store.

k2director
Senior User
Aug 9, 2006, 06:04 AM

After owning three PowerMac G5s (the original Dual 2.0, the 2.5 Dual and finally the Quad), I've found that it's not the machine itself that makes the noise, but the blasted high-end video card that you BTO with it (ie, the ATI 9800 way back when, or the Nvidea 7800 on the Quad, or now the ATI X1900 for the Mac Pro).

voth
Forum Regular
Aug 9, 2006, 06:22 AM

In a response to the previous post. There is no high end graphics card in my G5 Dual 2.0, at times it's quiet, and other times when you would swear a 747 was taking off.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2006, 06:41 AM

Good question, difficult to answer at the moment - nobody has the MacPro in thier posessin yet.
Michael

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2006, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by mac128k-1984
Good question, difficult to answer at the moment - nobody has the MacPro in thier posessin yet.
yes, they do. Apparently, it's very quiet.

"I start fires!"

nforcer
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2006, 09:08 AM

I really really hope Apple didn't optimize the setup for "quiet" over performance, or more specifically, "quiet" over significant heat dissipation. I'll take "quiet" if it doesn't affect heat dissipation, but otherwise I could care less how loud it is. I'd be fine if it ran 70 decibels most of the time. Perhaps that is an extreme, but overheating problems (as experienced in the iMac and Macbook) are a bigger issue.

I really don't want to experience any more lame overheating issues all because a handful of users complain about the noise every time a leaf falls off a tree. Not being able to use my comp because it overheated and I'm waiting for it to cooldown is a larger usabliity issue than not being able to carry out a whispered conversation in the vincinity of my tower.

I realize that is not the case for everyone, and that some people enjoy the extra-quiet time they are given when their Mac overheats. If the fans on the Mac Pro are still software controlled (which I would bet), if there is any way to change their settings I would be interested in knowing about it. I'm sure the Mac Librarian Association would also be interested in knowing about that. Ideally, I want to rig my fans to run fullspeed all the time and the MLA could rig theirs to just turn off (since every library seems to have their thermostat locked to a chilly 70F or something).
Genius. You know who.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Aug 9, 2006, 10:44 AM

My Rev A dual 2GHZ G5 is a chirpy bitch.

The latest gen watercooled model I have at work is dead silent. It think Apple worked out the issue a while ago.

"Hello, what have we here?

MovieCutter
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 9, 2006, 11:43 AM

Yes, the Mac Pro is quiet. In the stock configuration, it is very quiet. With higher end graphics cards, nobody knows yet. See the thread here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...22#post2700222

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2006, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by nforcer
I really really hope Apple didn't optimize the setup for "quiet" over performance, or more specifically, "quiet" over significant heat dissipation.
They're using the most powerful Xeon (5160) available and offer a Quadro FX 4500.

I don't think they traded performance for anything.

badtz
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2006, 05:10 PM

does anyone know off the top the watt dissipation between the latest G5 PPC and the the stock xeon?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2006, 05:17 PM

I'm not sure about max draw, but the 51xx Xeon's TDP is 80W for the 3GHz model and 65W for the others. The 2.5GHz 970MP had a TDP of about 140W IIRC Double-check that because my 970 memory is becoming flaky.

OreoCookie
Aug 9, 2006, 05:36 PM

The PPC970MP had a thermal design power of 100 [email protected] GHz.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2006, 02:29 AM

The 2.66 model I was checking out today with the side panel off....

VERY quiet. Slightly more noise than my iMac DC.

Less power consumption means less power to supply and less heat. You have to see it to believe it....the drastic difference in size between the Power Supply in the G5 and the new Intels.

You guys who are getting these new Mac Pros are gonna love them.

Plus the drive bays operation is just sick.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

concierge
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2006, 02:57 AM

They are very quiet, I compressed some of the HD video they had on the machine at the apple store to h.264 and was waiting to hear the fans rev up like on the quad but it didnt. They are amazingly quiet and fast, definately a good design from apple.

idyll
Senior User
Aug 11, 2006, 03:08 AM

i'd buy one immediately if only photoshop wasn't slower on these new machines compared to say a dual G5 2.0GHz

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2006, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by idyll
i'd buy one immediately if only photoshop wasn't slower on these new machines compared to say a dual G5 2.0GHz
I'll bet CS3 will run beautifully. Probably multithreaded to heckandback, too.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 11, 2006, 05:36 AM

That's great news.

People are gonna be able to brag about the guts of the thing while it's running. Hehe.

idyll
Senior User
Aug 11, 2006, 03:41 PM

oh yeah, i bet CS3 will be heaven. but that's still a few months away

memento
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2006, 06:41 PM

I can only compare to my MDD with 4 hard drives in it. And comparing to that, it's dead quiet. almost silent.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

Forum Links
Forum Rules