Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Creating a logo.

Creating a logo.
iranfromthezoo
Senior User
Jan 30, 2007, 10:56 PM

What do you guys do when you are asked to create a logo? Like how do you get your inspiration????

I am often asked to create logos but I honestly have the biggest problems with logos because I can really think creatively about them. Do you have any websites or books or just seasoned advice for me. I'd really like to beef up my portfolio.

Thorzdad
Jan 30, 2007, 11:31 PM

I talk at length with the person I'm creating the logo for. I get a feel for his/her personality. How they feel about their business. What their business is all about to them (which is often much more than just the product) Most importantly, I get a feel for the face they want to put forward to the public.
A logo has to reflect some aspect of the people behind the company. Otherwise, it's just another bunch of letters and shapes. Of course, sometimes that's all they want. So be it.

And then I sit down with a pencil and paper and doodle.

I sometimes look through the design books back in the art section of Borders...partly for inspiration...partly to depress myself. L

art_director
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2007, 01:45 PM

In my view logos are the most difficult and most rewarding of design projects. There's no better feeling than really nailing a logo.

My favorite logo resource is the Graphis Logo series ( Amazon.com: Logo 6 (Graphis Logo Design): Books: B. Martin Pedersen ). They have a good range of marks from around the world. Communication Arts also displays nice logos in the Design Annual and in profiles throughout the year.

When I work on a logo I do what Thorzad does and meet with the client. I ask a lot of questions about the company -- history, philosophy, etc. I look for a unique point of difference -- anything that might make for a handsome, appropriate graphic treatment.

I then research the competitive set. How do other companies in the category communicate their brand personalities? What color palettes do they use? What typeface(s)? What's the history of the category and my client's place in it? -- All these questions, and many others, can start you down a path.

I too start with pen and paper. When you start on the computer you're thinking about how to mechanically create the mark -- the nuts and bolt of building it on a computer rather than the concept behind it.

Hulk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2007, 03:25 PM

I've made only one logo - for my own business. It's just a matter of trying to say what the business is with a few strokes, starting with a pencil sketch, then converting it to computer graphics. If it works, you're just lucky, I guess. Here's mine:

www.portraitsbycomputer.com

th3ph17
Feb 1, 2007, 02:04 PM

definately agree that starting on paper is a good start. I used to use crayons actually--forced me to keep my initial ideas loose.

Eyenovation
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2007, 06:07 AM

http://logopond.com/

Great resource.

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2007, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by th3ph17 View Post
definately agree that starting on paper is a good start. I used to use crayons actually--forced me to keep my initial ideas loose.
i sometimes do the same with crayons. if this is for someone who has no current logo then talk with them in depth find out about them and their company. ideas for me usally pop into my head within a few mins but sometimes is will take up to 2-3 days for me. If the have a logo and just want changes i would just mess around with it untill i found something i liked then i show it to them and base my final on their reaction .

glypht
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2007, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
If it works, you're just lucky, I guess.
You're right, graphic design isn't a profession, it's just a bunch of lucky people with copies of Photoshop.

voth
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2007, 08:23 PM

You can always compile Gimp if you're not able to get yourself a personal copy of Photoshop.

himself
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2007, 02:41 AM

Thorzdad's advice is great. I always talk to the client, sometimes interview other people involved with the organization (like other executives or employees), and if the budget allows, I may survey some of their clients/customers... all to get thorough insight into their organization, industry and competitors, and their customers' perceptions and expectations. Just get as much background information as you can, because that extra bit of info can spark an idea you may not of otherwise had.

From there, I'll take the information I gather and brainstorm to generate a series of keywords and phrases, and then sketches and color palettes from those. I might sketch or take photos of things that inspire ideas (why I always carry a camera and sketch pad everywhere I go) and incorporate elements from them. Getting on the computer usually (but not always) comes last in the process. That's just my general process. Sometimes, I'll hit on great idea right away, and I'll refine that.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2007, 12:34 AM

My Lord! Why did I waste 4 yrs in school?

8 yrs on the job and one (so far) in grad school.

I coulda just gotten Photoshop and gotten lucky!

The computer is a TOOL for those who don't know. The mind creates. Browse, get inspired, research and sketch. THEN use ILLUSTRATOR.

Forum Links
Forum Rules