Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Return to Forever

Return to Forever
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2008, 02:14 PM

Last weekend I went to hear Return to Forever and had a great time! I've never been to a crowd that responsive and into the music, there were a ton of people wearing old RtF t-shirts and carrying around old albums that they wanted autographed. If you've never heard of this group, they have recently reformed after being apart for 25 years. They played songs from their old albums, although with some more modern technology and gear that gave the sound of the group a slightly more contemporary edge.

I'm also wondering what the non-jazz purist crowd here thinks of this group? You can listen to a pretty good sampling of the group here. Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy features the most rock and roll element to me...

Man, Chick Corea is incredible!
( Last edited by besson3c; Jun 25, 2008 at 06:15 PM. )

Hugi
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 25, 2008, 06:03 PM

Got my tickets for the concert in London in July (a couple of us are flying from Iceland just for this). I can't wait.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2008, 06:09 PM

You'll love it! There is always a lot of magic felt within groups that are playing something that is fresh and stimulating to them, and having ample opportunity to flex their creative muscles. You don't get that with the boy bands that basically reproduce their albums night after night

I don't know how new the music feels to them after their 25 year hiatus, but they also mixed things up a little bit from their original albums, and they convinced at least me that the energy and enthusiasm was still there

I also heard Medeski, Martin, Scofield, and Wood shortly before that and even though I'm a big fan, I didn't quite feel the same way... They sounded a little tired.

Forum Links
Forum Rules