Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Anyone here live in Iceland?

Anyone here live in Iceland?
shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2008, 05:24 PM

I need some help.

About six months ago, I bought several albums from an Icelandic music site, tonlist.is. It was all stuff that was never released in the United States.

At any rate, Tonlist recently started using a higher bitrate on the AAC format of the song downloads (they're all available in MP3, WMA, and AAC). I logged in a few days ago to redownload the tracks in the higher quality, and discovered that Tonlist has apparently decided to only permit the purchase and download of tracks from within Iceland (I'm going to assume the RIAA is behind this change).

So if Tonlist is IP-restricted, I need someone who lives in Iceland to try and login with my account so that I can get my music. I've emailed their tech support about it and haven't gotten a response back yet.

If anyone can help me, I'd really appreciate it. I've legitimately purchased all these songs; I can show you the PayPal receipts.
( Last edited by shifuimam; Oct 26, 2008 at 09:58 AM. )
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2008, 08:13 PM

Why would the Iceland recording industry slash their sales market by over 99%? Last time I checked, that country needs to increase their exports, not reduce them.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 25, 2008, 08:26 PM

IF it's the RIAA pressing, what should they do ? Not agree and lose the remaining 1% as well ?

-t

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2008, 08:47 PM

I have no idea. I've Googled and haven't found any explanation for why they changed their policy in the past four months or so.

Either way, I want the music I legally paid for.

Hugi
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2008, 09:18 PM

Hey there shifuimam, I'd be glad to be of help, just PM me your login information (or e-mail it to [my-forum-username]@karlmenn.is).

I'm going to call them next monday and see why they have taken up IP-restrictions. It doesn't make sense. And it most certainly is NOT fair to cut off customers that have paid for their products.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2008, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
IF it's the RIAA pressing, what should they do ? Not agree and lose the remaining 1% as well ?

-t
Is it common to refer to any country's music publishing association/cartel as RIAA, even though the second "A" in the acronym stands for "America"? Or are you actually implying that a US group has actual embargo power against Icelandic products?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 26, 2008, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
Is it common to refer to any country's music publishing association/cartel as RIAA, even though the second "A" in the acronym stands for "America"? Or are you actually implying that a US group has actual embargo power against Icelandic products?
They had against Russia (see allofmp3)

*shrug*

-t

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2008, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
That part is really quite simple (if that is the reason):

Distribution deals (i.e. the contracts that allow you to actually sell copyrighted music) are almost always limited exclusively to very specific geographic regions.

This is also why there isn't one iTunes Store, but thirty of them, and why stuff that's available in the US store isn't for sale in Europe or Japan, and vice versa. It gets silly when the French store has stuff that you can't buy in Germany, but that's the way the business structures have grown.

I assume that this music service was selling stuff that was only licensed for distribution within Iceland.
If they continued to distribute globally, then the artists being sold would have no hope whatsoever of ever getting other international distribution deals, since the distributors insist on exclusive distribution rights for their region.

OreoCookie
Oct 26, 2008, 05:48 AM

Welcome to the world of international music (and movie) sales!
I know of some people who (used to?) rent a server in the US to use Pandorra -- because it's not available anymore from Europe. Of course it sucks, especially with the problems regarding import of CDs and DVDs.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2008, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Hugi View Post
Hey there shifuimam, I'd be glad to be of help, just PM me your login information (or e-mail it to [my-forum-username]@karlmenn.is).

I'm going to call them next monday and see why they have taken up IP-restrictions. It doesn't make sense. And it most certainly is NOT fair to cut off customers that have paid for their products.
PM sent. Let me know if it works, and if you hear back from Tonlist about this.

Forum Links
Forum Rules