Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Ravaged on a Safari

Ravaged on a Safari
Beam me up Scotty
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2006, 05:13 PM

Has anyone else been experiencing a big lag in Safari and a lot of application failures? I am getting so sick of the "Spinning Beach Ball of Death". I've run through all the usual suspects of permissions and like. I am upgrading my RAM tonight 1.2 gig and I hoping that will help. When OS X first came out you could quit an application and be done with it. Now it can take a couple of minutes to shut down and heaven forbid you quit two at once. I've taken to the force quit menu to get the job done.

12" powerbook 1.33 GHz 512MB OS X 10.4.7

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2006, 05:48 PM

I had the same problems with Safari for quite a while, so much so that I had to use other browsers. I've since done a clean re-install of system 10 (for unrelated reasons), and I now use Safari as my main browser, no problems.

Thinine
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2006, 08:52 PM

I solve any problems with the current version of Safari by compiling WebKit and using Safari with that. Faster, and usually more stable as well.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2006, 10:47 AM

You compile it yourself? Why not just grab a nightly?

http://nightly.webkit.org/
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Beam me up Scotty  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2006, 10:21 PM

Added a gig and everything seems to have stablized. Might take a little while to really see how it goes. I just remember how nice it was when th Beta of X came out. I ran with it right away on my Wallstreet and it was so snappy and smooth. What a change from 9... Granted it was pretty stripped down as an OS but maybe that wasn't so bad.

Forum Links
Forum Rules