Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Craigslist "overpayment" Scam

The Craigslist "overpayment" Scam
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2008, 08:58 PM

I've got a MacBook and MacBook Pro I'm selling on craigslist. Every day I get emails from scammers, usually identical emails from the same person, one for each MacBook :-)

If I respond, what I get from them is basically this:
They are satisfied with the condition of my item. They are out of the state (or country) so they will be overpaying me by a good amount, to cover shipping etc. They'll be using some guaranteed payment source. Then they all go on to say that I don't have to worry about shipping because they all have their own DHL/FedEx account number.

Now I know how the basics work in this scam. The money order is fake, and my bank will cash it then a week or two later, take the money back and I'm screwed. But I'm confused about the shipping part. Do these scammers really have their own shipping accounts? Are they stolen or legit? Couldn't authorities track them that way? Or do they not really have shipping accounts and in the end do I also end up paying for shipping?

I don't intend on rivaling the p-p-p-p-p-powerbook but I would like to make some scammers pay lots of money to have me ship them a box full of stones.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2008, 09:02 PM

I only sell local on CL... it's a rule (that works great for a larger city).

Cash in hand... computer in hand. I usually do the exchange on the ground floor of my apartment building (front desk person, cameras, and they know the building I live in [not the apt. number])

SSharon
Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2008, 10:58 PM

I'm all for sending them a box of rocks.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2008, 11:04 PM

Re: Apple iMac G5 2.0 GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, 400 GB HD, Radeon 9600 - $1375 GET BACK ASAP

Thursday, March 22, 2007 7:45 AM
From: "Todd Johnston" <[email protected]>Add sender to Contacts
To:

Hi,
Thanks for your email response; I am in Wisconsin right now, but will be leaving for London soon for a coaching job in a few days time.
The item is for my son's birthday present; he travelled to spend time with his mum where she works in the US Consulate office in West Africa .
I'll be paying you through Storm-pay money order as soon as you make your decision and final price/shipping cost; it's secure and protects two parties in a transaction.I will like you to provide the below requirements in your reply for me to send it to storm-pay Office for payment before you ship it, I'll have to add $300 extra for you to send it to him as soon as possible.
Full Name:
Full Contact Address:
Tel Number:
All this information should be provided correctly please to avoid wrong payment. I will forward my wife residential address to you for shipping as soon as the payment reaches you.I will be very grateful to hear from you soon.
Best Regard

---

Stones are good.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2008, 11:10 PM

But the question is, do these scammers actually pay for the shipping themselves? Do they really give you a fedex account number that THEY pay for, or do they just say they have a number to help make the victim seller feel more at ease?

timmerk
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2008, 11:15 PM

I'm sure it's a real number, but stolen. But you're the shipper, so you are the person committing fraud. At least that's how I look at it.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2008, 11:17 PM

If its a real number and i know its stolen I am. But if the scammer gives it to me and tells me it's real, he's the one committing fraud not me. But if it is a stolen number, thats kinda boring. If the scammer himself isn't paying for the rocks, then thats no fun at all.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2008, 01:53 AM

Another vote for stones, or a shrink-wrapped dead rat.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

macintologist
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2008, 02:17 AM

Can I go to Nigeria and buy cheap Macbooks or do they resell these things at list price?

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2008, 02:50 AM

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2008, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
thats the p-p-p-p-powerbook i was talking about.
I just want to send something heavy so the scammer will have to pay. But only if the scammer really pays for shipping you know.

Rumor
Nov 11, 2008, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
What ever happened to poor Jeff?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2008, 03:41 AM

<- has a PO BOX :-D So hopefully I won't "disappear"

Forum Links
Forum Rules