Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Do you have dead pixels on your new PowerBook?

Do you have dead pixels on your new PowerBook? (Page 2)
craigthomas
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 20, 2002, 03:25 PM

"Lit pixel", good to know. I have one on my 22" Cinema and on my 800DVI. I've tried massaging without any effect. Has anyone truely had any success with this process? When you think of it, one out of 1,638,400 or one out of 1,310,720 isn't that bad. I was really upset when I noticed the one on my Cinema Display. Guess when we fork out the money, and it's *new*, it really can nag on ya at the time. We all want something perfect when it comes out of the box. Now I don't even see them.

Melchizedek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2002, 03:12 AM

I just got my Tibook today, and I have had to massage about 8 or 9 stuck pixels. They unlocked with very minimal massaging, is this just the screen "burning in" or is there somthing wrong?
Rev. D 1.67Ghz 17" PowerBook
---------------------------------------
4G 60GB iPod Photo
iSight
Airport Express
Final Cut Pro 4
WWDC 2004/2005 Student Attendee
---------------------------------------
Apple user for two.five years.

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."

issa
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 22, 2002, 05:02 AM

I just got my Tibook today, and I have had to massage about 8 or 9 stuck pixels. They unlocked with very minimal massaging
Bravo. I'm glad to hear that a little coercion forced those pesky transistors to correct themselves.
is this just the screen "burning in" or is there somthing wrong?
I wouldn't refer to this as "burning in" per se, except in the sense that you are running power through a new display, and are therefore putting it through its paces. There was something wrong in the sense that you had a bevy of shorted or stuck transistors. They may now be a thing of the past, or one or more may reappear. If any do show their "colours" again, give 'em another rub. Speaking strictly from experience, transistors that you were able to correct more often stay in line and perform properly than act up again. Enjoy your new 'Book!

Karim
Senior User
Nov 22, 2002, 06:29 AM

Good FAQ on what sub-pixels are and how LCD quality is determined to be in or out of spec, at least for viewsonic:

http://www.viewsonic.com/support/qa....cd&question=01

issa
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 22, 2002, 08:07 AM

Thanks Karim.

That one makes a good set with the Philips Monitor Pixel Policy document I noted previously.

While we're at it, and while the description isn't quite as graphic, maybe we should also include here the "Knowledge Base Document" titled "LCD Displays: About Pixel Anomalies" from a familiar computer maker in Cupertino.

mmurray
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2002, 08:14 AM

Originally posted by MarkLT1:
So if a PB arrives with dark or hot pixels.. will apple service it under warranty?? After paying 3k for a machine, i will be raising some major trouble if I get it, with a hot pixel, and Apple wont service it.

-Mark
Short answer - maybe maybe not.

Long answer:

It depends on how many and how close they are together. I don't know what the formula is but last time I complained I was told that more than 5 and they would swap it. I think there is another formula based on so many within a certain distance of each other.

Michael

thebunny
Forum Regular
Nov 25, 2002, 01:00 AM

New 867. One dead (black) pixel on the right. Massage didn't work...

azark
Nov 25, 2002, 02:31 AM

Ti-Ghz Combo

One blinking pixel(on black screen), fixed with a massage. :-)

Massaging the back of the screen did it...

sascha_b
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2002, 03:20 AM

I have one bad subpixel here on my new 867 Powerbook. Its blue level is always at maximum. Luckily it is located in the white menubar, so the pixel is white and it is only apparent when running fullscreen apps or games.

DanielC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2002, 08:22 AM

Ti 867 -> no dead pixel (at least not within the first two hours of usage)!

HAPPY!

claughery
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 25, 2002, 10:08 AM

I wonder if apple intentionally puts their semi-problematic displays on the 867's because they are cheaper...
Hmmmmm... I wonder....
Dual 1.8 G5, 23" cinema oldschool, PB 1.5 ghz 12" SD, iBook 1.07 Ghz, mac mini 1.42, iPod mini, iPod photo 40gb, SE K700i

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 25, 2002, 11:08 AM

Originally posted by MarkLT1:
So if a PB arrives with dark or hot pixels.. will apple service it under warranty?? After paying 3k for a machine, i will be raising some major trouble if I get it, with a hot pixel, and Apple wont service it.

-Mark
Mark, with 1 dead or hot pixel, it will not be serviced unless it's cluster of a few pixels. But the standard, be it Apple, Sony or just a screen manufacturer allows for a certain amount of pixel anomalies depending on screen size. For a 15" display, it's 4 hot or 5 dead pixels or a combination of 7 of both. That does suck if you're an unlucky owner of such a display. Many times it'll depend on the position of the pexels. If you have 2 hots right in the center of the screen, you may get a good CS warranty repair.
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

issa
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 25, 2002, 11:40 AM

To claughery:
I'm sure there is no direct correlation between displays that - uh - display pixel anomalies and the speed/price configuration of the PowerBook one buys. Most likely it's just the luck of the draw.

To thebunny:
Sorry to hear that you have one dead pixel on your display. Shouldn't happen to a guy from Ottawa. There's still a chance that pixel will spring to life. And, even if it doesn't, I'm sure you'll love the machine just as much and learn to forget about that one pixel out of over a million.

I'm sure the 867 is a great machine. Even with the 1GHz clocked down to run at 666 it runs circles around my Rev.A 500MHz machine!

thebunny
Forum Regular
Nov 25, 2002, 09:34 PM

Oh, the machine is absolutely gorgeous (fast too). The dead pixel is just a bit of bad luck (hope the next one won't have any). It is quite small and on the side anyway...

Another intersting thing: my battery doesn't go over 97% any more. I would go up to 100% the first day and it's getting lower and lower. It is almost constantly plugged in though. Is this normal? What are some of your older batteries at?

Cheers!

men$an
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2002, 09:54 PM

hey there all,

i am on my 1GHz tibook and just about 30 minutes ago i got a faint white horizontal line (all the way across) about 1 inch from the top of the display. it has been staying faint but has flickered a brilliant white a few times.

can i massage this? what is it? what can i do? anyone think it will go away?
anyone had any similar problems?

anyway, please give me any and all advice. i willl be gone for thanks giving this week (though i will bw checking these forums) but wouldnt be able to do anything with apple until next week if needed. anyway, thanks in advance!

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2002, 10:15 PM

Originally posted by claughery:
I wonder if apple intentionally puts their semi-problematic displays on the 867's because they are cheaper...
Hmmmmm... I wonder....
Quite possible, but not true. They don't do this. To them, an LCD is an LCD.

Stelliform
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2002, 11:34 PM

No dead pixels here.

My poor book keeper just bought a Dell laptop. I was working next to her on my TiBook, and it was embarassing how much nicer the screen was. I mean my TiBook was as least twice as bright, and my laptop was half the height of hers.

Glad I switched!!!

thebunny
Forum Regular
Nov 25, 2002, 11:37 PM

Hey men$an, you might want to have a chat about that with Apple - that sounds more serious than my single dead pixel.

issa
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 26, 2002, 01:36 AM

men$an: I concur with thebunny. It sounds like you are experiencing a pinched video cable or problem with the graphic card. You should show it somebody at the store where you bought the 'Book or talk to Apple and have them make it right.

emerrill
Nov 26, 2002, 02:51 AM

I got a gig machinem, and it has 2 lit pixels, one is bright green, center screen, and the other is bright blue, verticaly center, about 3 inches from the right edge.

What I am more displeased about (and am going to call about) is that there is a mark on the screen about 1/2 inch long, and 1/4 inch wide. If you use IE, i can give you a reference to where it is, if you place a window at the top of the screen, it runs from the bottom of the word 'Window' in the menu bar, down to the text in the button bar of the window. It has the appearance of a smudge or abrasion, but wont clean off, and is very noticable on white screens.

claughery
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 26, 2002, 12:16 PM

It looks like there are a lot of people getting their ti's with bad screens now...
Is apple ramping producton too much?
Dual 1.8 G5, 23" cinema oldschool, PB 1.5 ghz 12" SD, iBook 1.07 Ghz, mac mini 1.42, iPod mini, iPod photo 40gb, SE K700i

cambro
Senior User
Nov 26, 2002, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by thebunny:
Another intersting thing: my battery doesn't go over 97% any more. I would go up to 100% the first day and it's getting lower and lower. It is almost constantly plugged in though. Is this normal? What are some of your older batteries at?
If you are running 10 and show battery life as percentage in the menu bar then you have nothing to worry about: see this Knowledge Base article.

Cheers!

fortepianissimo
Senior User
Nov 26, 2002, 08:54 PM

Bought a 1Ghz PB (without SD) 2 days after the announcement, and got it a week after. No dead pixel.

- one happy switcher

iMan
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2002, 09:16 PM

Hello,

I have one but it is hardly noticable. I really have to look for it. Sometimes I can't even find it my self. No other problems though.
Nick Fleming
[email protected]

Ti PowerBook - 1000/512/60
iPod 30 GB

IonCable
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 26, 2002, 10:35 PM

Just got my New SD Powerbook and no Dead Pixels. w00t. At
"This is fun, right?"

mjlukich
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2002, 12:04 AM

None on my 867.

vsurfer
Senior User
Nov 27, 2002, 12:13 AM

Originally posted by iMan:
I have one but it is hardly noticable. I really have to look for it.
Just joined the 1G SD club this evening.

Apple store wouldn't let me open before I plunked down the moolah. I too have one lit pixel in the lower right hand quarter of the screen - I needed to create a dark monochromatic image in graphic converter to find it.
With the fine resolution of these screens it is pretty hard to find.

More concerned with getting my DHCP network issues sorted out than the one pixel...as such I'm writing from the G3, until I can get the G4 to connect properly and give me a good IP address. [begin edit] Which was solved by the usual decabling/depowering of the cable modem and repowering. While the PB was asleep. After that airport picked up on the network.[end edit]

So tomorrow we try to massage the pixel (but not obsess about it.)
( Last edited by vsurfer; Nov 27, 2002 at 12:45 AM. )

thebunny
Forum Regular
Nov 27, 2002, 12:22 AM

Thanks cambro!

claughery
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 27, 2002, 08:48 AM

Man that is hard to not obsess about a lit pixel! I go crazy looking at one!

Holy Zoo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2002, 09:04 AM

Originally posted by vsurfer:

I needed to create a dark monochromatic image in graphic converter to find it.
With the fine resolution of these screens it is pretty hard to find.
Here's a handy program that helps test/track for dead pixels:

PiXel Test

azark
Nov 27, 2002, 09:39 AM

I prefer PiXel Check

wolfen
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2002, 09:41 AM

I had a flawless screen. I don't know what happened, but a day or two after I got my PBSD one pixel has lit red. I hope and pray it will go away. I've tried lightly massaging the area, but won't continue for fear of making more problems.

It bothers me only a little bit. But in the grand scheme of things, it's no big deal. It's only one pixel and I can only see it when the background is completely white.

wolfen
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

lokjah
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 27, 2002, 01:16 PM

yes i had two lit pixels. i say had because i had tons of problems with this one straight out of the box, and the lit pixels were only the tip of the iceberg with things wrong with the one i got. apple is honoring the DOA replacement policy for me. just havent found out when they will get my replacement to me.

l�k
iron sharpens iron

iBookDude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2002, 11:56 PM

There is only 1 "red" pixel stuck at the middle top part of the screen, just an inch below the word Help in the help menu.

I tried massaging it but didn't help. It's not too visible unless it's on a light background. Oh well...

If that didn't go away soon, does anyone knows how to "increase" the number of dead pixels to "unacceptable" so Apple can replace it???

ivi
Forum Regular
Nov 28, 2002, 12:09 AM

Originally posted by iBookDude:
There is only 1 "red" pixel stuck at the middle top part of the screen, just an inch below the word Help in the help menu.

I tried massaging it but didn't help. It's not too visible unless it's on a light background. Oh well...

If that didn't go away soon, does anyone knows how to "increase" the number of dead pixels to "unacceptable" so Apple can replace it???
Yeah, push the screen really really hard .

remohomer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2002, 12:15 AM

1Ghz, just received today, but no dead pixels that I can see. Do they show up right away?

I had 1 read pixel on a 17" FP iMac that goes away temporarily with massaging.

thebunny
Forum Regular
Nov 28, 2002, 12:59 AM

remohomer: Mine appeared about 4 days after I got it (it came flawless and I don't abuse it in any way). From what I hear if none appear within the first couple of weeks you should be OK. Hold your thumbs...

cruise
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2002, 01:56 AM

No dead pixels here.

PowerBook 1 GHz with SuperDrive...

Forum Links
Forum Rules