Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > razorX?

razorX?
RydDragyn
Mar 21, 2004, 07:21 PM

I want to do a port of Twist's Kaleidoscope scheme "Occam's Razor". I've put some elements into Themepark. Thus far just a strict port. I also haven't gotten permission yet, but I just wanted to know if this was something you guys would be interested in...

If I go ahead further I also would do my own remix, and well as color variants.

( Last edited by RydDragyn; Mar 21, 2004 at 08:46 PM. )

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 22, 2004, 06:10 AM

Are you sure those widgets are possible? they look quite sizely...

Jaey
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2004, 11:31 AM

Wow, that looks pretty weird.
I suggest not going any further.
No offense or anything.

idle
Forum Regular
Mar 22, 2004, 12:58 PM

jaey, you got any specific reasons for a suggestion like that?

and as far as i can see the widgets would be possible like that. just go for it and keep us posted on some updates. the least you can get from making a theme is stupid flaming and even with that you will still have increased your skills in themeing and you will do better next time.. "if you don't go you won't know" is what i always say.

[ idle. ]

derdomi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2004, 01:09 PM

hey, i kinda like it.... if you get permission i would be very happy to see this happen.
very nice style

mbeauche
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2004, 02:21 PM

if you do plan on continuing(which I suggest), here are some criticisms: those widgets look complete gaudy - way too big and have no aesthetic appeal at all...plus the titlebar with the white text and white bar in the background is hard to read, you're gonna hafta make sure this theme is readable with contrast issues and the like

RydDragyn  (op)
Mar 22, 2004, 02:57 PM

This isn't a mockup, that's the theme applied to my system. So the widgets are definitely possible.

I will keep working on it to make it more aesthetically pleasing though.

derdomi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2004, 04:01 PM

i like the widgets the way they are. they are ccompletely different from everything i saw this far. i wouldn't change them that much

Jaey
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2004, 04:31 PM

Originally posted by idle:
jaey, you got any specific reasons for a suggestion like that?
Originally posted by mbeauche:
those widgets look complete gaudy - way too big and have no aesthetic appeal at all...plus the titlebar with the white text and white bar in the background is hard to read
...Just about sums it up. Of course, you could make the adjustments that mbeauche also said, but something about such rectangular widgets does not appeal to me. There are, of course, rectangular widgets that I like, but just the simple idea of those widgets is way too (as mbeauche said) gaudy.

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 22, 2004, 07:46 PM

Hmm... Looks like a pretty good port. But in my opinion there are many other K-schemes more worthy of porting to SS.

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 22, 2004, 08:58 PM

Originally posted by RydDragyn:
This isn't a mockup, that's the theme applied to my system. So the widgets are definitely possible.
Have you made sure they are spaced evenly in every app? line up the titlebars of a few apps, and I'm pretty sure they'll be spaced farther apart in carbon apps than cocoa apps.

Jaey
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2004, 10:08 PM

Originally posted by codywalton:
But in my opinion there are many other K-schemes more worthy of porting to SS

idle
Forum Regular
Mar 23, 2004, 07:58 AM

Originally posted by Frisbee:
Have you made sure they are spaced evenly in every app? line up the titlebars of a few apps, and I'm pretty sure they'll be spaced farther apart in carbon apps than cocoa apps.
is that true? would be interesting to know. i just tried a theme in themepark and the spacing looked pretty much the same in both cocoa and carbon. at least using xScope for measuring... the only thing i could find was the toolbar widget wich seems to be placed differently.

[ idle. ]

JoE950
Forum Regular
Mar 23, 2004, 11:25 AM

lets see a metal window.. that should be interesting

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 23, 2004, 05:25 PM

is that true? would be interesting to know. i just tried a theme in themepark and the spacing looked pretty much the same in both cocoa and carbon. at least using xScope for measuring... the only thing i could find was the toolbar widget wich seems to be placed differently.

[ idle. ]
Really? I remember swiz having a problem with SS Studio Pro where he upped the dimensions for the x-+ from 14x16 to the jag dimensions (19x19?) and they were more widely spaced in carbon apps. Has anyone ever tried making them bigger than the titlebar? hmm...

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 23, 2004, 05:37 PM

I rest my case!

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 23, 2004, 05:49 PM

I rest my case!

why in the hell would apple program it that way? strange.

Jaey
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2004, 06:08 PM

Originally posted by codywalton:
why in the hell would apple program it that way? strange.
Because Apple's crazy

Actually, that is pretty weird

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 23, 2004, 06:38 PM

I assume that in cocoa it measures the distance from the center of the widgets to the next one, while carbon measures the borders of the widgets to the next, which, when using proper 14x16 images, results in equal spacing. Hmm...

smeger
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2004, 07:29 PM

This widget spacing issue, by the way, is why ShapeShifter resizes the widgets in Jaguar themes when applying them to a Panther OS.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 23, 2004, 07:31 PM

Originally posted by smeger:
This widget spacing issue, by the way, is why ShapeShifter resizes the widgets in Jaguar themes when applying them to a Panther OS.
I did not know that... that is wierd, wild stuff.

solidfox
Mar 23, 2004, 07:42 PM

I rest my case!

You sure that's not just the theme preview? My widgets doesn't appear like that, never has. They've only moved around a bit...same spacing tho. That also looks like jaguar sized widgets...(Panthers are for some reason smaller, probably just to bug all those that made big widgets for jaguar themes.)

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 23, 2004, 08:46 PM

Originally posted by solidfox:
You sure that's not just the theme preview? My widgets doesn't appear like that, never has. They've only moved around a bit...same spacing tho. That also looks like jaguar sized widgets...(Panthers are for some reason smaller, probably just to bug all those that made big widgets for jaguar themes.)
Of course they're jaguar sized, I was trying to prove that when you make the sizes of the widgets larger, they are unevenly spaced. I'd go ahead and apply that test and line up the finder and a bunch of other apps for you, but I'm pretty confident that I'll get the same results. Swiz... back me up on the studio pro thing...

idle
Forum Regular
Mar 23, 2004, 09:01 PM

not my own thought here, but since i've been working on a mockup for quite some time now that would take advantage of the widgets even placement i really got worried by your post and kindly asked wibs for his knowledge on that matter. as you can see in his latium theme - and that was his reply to my question - the widgets are placed pixel perfect and this systemwide. at least i can not recall having used an app with the widgets ripped a part.... or maybe i just did not notice?

[ idle. ]

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 23, 2004, 09:29 PM

not my own thought here, but since i've been working on a mockup for quite some time now that would take advantage of the widgets even placement i really got worried by your post and kindly asked wibs for his knowledge on that matter. as you can see in his latium theme - and that was his reply to my question - the widgets are placed pixel perfect and this systemwide. at least i can not recall having used an app with the widgets ripped a part.... or maybe i just did not notice?

[ idle. ]
Yeah, I didn't notice Studio Pro's error for a while. Although latium doesn't appear to have very big widgets...

Forum Links
Forum Rules