Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > MS Entourage '04 crashes with ShaoeShifter & Silk

MS Entourage '04 crashes with ShaoeShifter & Silk
OzarkMtn
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2004, 03:39 PM

Entourage 2004 crashes unless I disable both ShapeShifter & Silk. The crash occurs immediately upon launching Entourage.

Anyone else have this problem? All of the other MS Offices programs run with no issues.
Cheers,

Just say "NO" to PLASTIC SPEAKERS!!

eatinwokout
Mac Enthusiast
May 17, 2004, 04:01 PM

Does 04 crash even with shapeshifter running by itself. Or do you need both silk and shapeshifter disabled?

I have been using shapeshifter with office 04 without any problems.

quandarry
May 17, 2004, 04:43 PM

silk should be thrown in the trash.

Jaey
Mac Elite
May 17, 2004, 04:53 PM

Originally posted by quandarry:
silk should be thrown in the trash.
Entourage should be thrown in the trash.

Komisar
Mac Elite
May 17, 2004, 05:29 PM

I was about to say what jaey said.... why the hell are u using entourage

OzarkMtn  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2004, 05:53 PM

I have to have both ShapeShifter & Silk disabled to run Entourage.

Hey folks, I wasn't asking what I should do with Silk or Entourage. I was very specific with what my issue is and was looking for a mature response and a possible solution.

If you think that Silk or Entourage should be placed in the trash or any other program than start your own subject/topic. Please don't hijack mine, I am looking for solutions, not a thread full of idiotic comments & bulls***.
Cheers,

eatinwokout
Mac Enthusiast
May 17, 2004, 06:03 PM

Maybe try trashing shapeshifter and silk, then reinstalling. Make sure you get the preferences for both apps trashed too.

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
May 17, 2004, 06:18 PM

I use entourage because I don't want to check hotmail with my browser. I'd use the httpmail program with apple mail, but then it would group my mail with my mom's, and I honestly don't want our mailboxes to be mixed.

Komisar
Mac Elite
May 17, 2004, 06:40 PM

I understand.... but i bet there are alternatives to this.... i can't remeber but i know their are

Meritocracy
May 17, 2004, 07:49 PM

Originally posted by Komisar:
I understand.... but i bet there are alternatives to this.... i can't remeber but i know their are
Their aren't. Using Entourage is simply the best way of sending and receiving messages via hotmail accounts on the mac without using one's browser. Hypothetical alternatives are all well in good when you're in a mood to bash M$, and who isn't on occassion, but at least back up this "supposed alternative" with something substantial. BTW, Entourage and Shapeshifter seemed to be causing no issues in combination with one another. I don't use Silk, so I can't confirm if the problem is setup independant.
What exactly is rotten in Denmark?

smeger
Mac Elite
May 17, 2004, 09:08 PM

OzarkMtn, if you feel like doing some troubleshooting on this, try disabling Silk and seeing whether the ShapeShifter theme you use has any effect on your crashing issue.

I don't yet have Office '04, which makes it tough for me to check anything relating to it.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

OzarkMtn  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2004, 09:46 PM

OK,

First of all, thanks to all who kept focused on the issue. I wish this was more of the norm instead of the exception.

As per the recommendations, I disabled SS and Silk as well as discarded their preferences. I enabled Silk and kept SS off since eatinwokout said that Entourage was working with SS. This immediately crashed Entourage so I enabled SS & turned off Silk. Lo and behold, Entourage launched and is running just fine with SS and my chosen Theme.

My apologies to anyone who I gave a scare to that uses SS & is anticipating using Entourage, everything is OK.

Now Silk is a different story, and we're not going to worry about it.
Cheers,

dru
Senior User
May 18, 2004, 05:50 AM

Did you try to exclude Entourage in Silk's pref panel? Click "Add Application...", pick Entourage, and make sure "Quartz Options Enabled" is unchecked.

You should be fine since ticking off that setting disables Silk for that particular app selected.

I don't have Entourage 04 so I can't try it here.
20" iMac C2D/2.4GHz 3GB RAM 10.6.8 (10H549)

cgc
Professional Poster
May 20, 2004, 12:46 PM

You should submit a "bug report" to Unsanity and let them know. They were very responsive to a bug I submitted.

I think Entourage is vastly better than Mail.app, iCal, and AddressBook. As an email program it is ok, but as a PIM, it rocks. Toss Palm Desktop in the trash then...

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
May 20, 2004, 02:20 PM

definitely contact Unsanity - they are responsive to feedback... also using the exception list within Silk for Entourage is a great suggestion. I had to that with QT6, and Suitcase in the earliest version of ShapeShifter. That has since been resolved.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
May 20, 2004, 02:50 PM

Originally posted by smeger:
OzarkMtn, if you feel like doing some troubleshooting on this, try disabling Silk and seeing whether the ShapeShifter theme you use has any effect on your crashing issue.

I don't yet have Office '04, which makes it tough for me to check anything relating to it.

There's a test drive version of '04 for download http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/7884
click one

RydDragyn
May 21, 2004, 02:48 PM

Okay, my own issues with Entourage:

It crashed with SS. I looked at the error log, and it looked like it had something to do with APE in general. So I put Entourage on the exclude list of both SS and APE.

Still crashes.

Then I realized that it always crashes when I do the exact same thing: open an email with an attachment.

What did I learn? M$ still sucks.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
May 21, 2004, 03:04 PM

It will always list APE and any Application Enhancers running in the crash log because it lists anything running in the system. I don't know anything about how to read crah logs though, but I've asked Jason about that before and he said the crashes I was having weren't related to SS or APE.
click one

smeger
Mac Elite
May 21, 2004, 05:25 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
It will always list APE and any Application Enhancers running in the crash log because it lists anything running in the system. I don't know anything about how to read crah logs though, but I've asked Jason about that before and he said the crashes I was having weren't related to SS or APE.
This is correct. The crashlogs list everything about the crashed process, including info about things that have been loaded into it like APEs and plugins. This is great for developers, but when non-devs read the crashlog, they see APE or ShapeShifter and think, "Oh, that must be what's causing it!" when in reality, it's nothing to do with us. It creates bad perceptions of our products and is somewhat of a tech support nightmare. I'm still glad that the info's in the crash log, though, because it makes reading 'em a lot easier.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

Forum Links
Forum Rules